Arwen's Realm

A Virtual Community
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:57 am

Welcome
Welcome to Arwen's Realm!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: MS Flight Cancelled
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

I had been expecting this for awhile, but it is now official . . . Microsoft has stopped development of Flight and has laid off the Flight Team (I know from contact with one of the team, that they only found out yesterday).

I do not know for sure why they decided to shut down Flight, after just 5 months, but my guess is that the suits at MS were not happy with the DLC purchase numbers. I tried to warn them back in early January when I was on the beta testing team.

Taken directly from a long post that I made on the Microsoft Flight Beta Discussions forum on Jan 6, 2012: "Flight is fun to play ... I’m honestly enjoying the game, but I just don't see it having any lasting appeal unless the released version is changed/improved dramatically. Most gamers would tire of this game in less than a week. And there's not enough simulator to appeal to most simmers (who are hoping Flight will be FSXI). I could be totally wrong, but I don't see anything that will entice a large number of either group to, not only stick with this game, but pay for the DLC. I do understand the need to release a game that appeals to the maximum number of users, but I think the current concept of Flight is not going to succeed in attracting large enough numbers. Not nearly enough users are going to pay for enough DLC to support this game's high development costs (again, this is just my opinion)."

I also know that the simulator that the Flight Team were working on a year ago was not the game that they ended up releasing (that all changed when Joshua Howard took over).

It makes me sad that this has happen, because I happen to love flightsims, and this is likely to cause negative ripples about any new flightsim development in the foreseeable future.

For now I'll keep this sub-forum open, in case anyone wants to post about this.

Arwen's Star Citizen Journal

Post subject: Re: MS Flight Cancelled
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:30 pm 

Well Arwen, I guess we called that one. I kept it on my machine till I got tired of essentially doing the same thing every day. Microsoft seemed to have left 2 people running the server and trying to keep interest going on their FB page and steam but this thing is dying a slow death. Because it's free to play, they will continue to get people coming in because it's FTP and the newbies will buy a couple of DLC's till they figure out it isn't being developed. Being supported is much different that being developed. Sort of like FSX. The 3rd party devs are supporting it but no one is developing it.

With the release of Lockheed Martin's Prepar3d simulator which is based on the commercial ESP code bought from Microsoft by LM, the simulator is now being developed. I bought it and have it loaded on my machine and, after LM released version 1.4 it was good enough for me to unload FSX and start supporting LM Prepar3d. There are rumblings and grumblings in the flight sim community about EULA's and other sort of legal issues regarding using 3rd party addon software designed for a Microsoft product on to a Lockheed Martin product. I'll let the real lawyers, the wannabe lawyers (mostly at a_v_s_i_m), and anyone else debate that issue. My feeling is that if I bought it, then I'll do as I please with it on my computer as long as I don't pirate or give it away on a torrent. In other words....."don't ask; don't tell"

That said, some enterprising fellow in Estonia, where the laws are different than ours, and saw a need, designed a migration tool to fool addon installers into thinking they were installing into FSX but, in reality, installing into prepar3d. It does this by creating a "virtual FSX" on the drive with LM and points to it. Ingenious and for $15. it worked and the guy is updating it as LM updates prepar3d.

Anyway, Arwen, since the last entry for FLIGHT was yours on July 26th and anyone posting in the rest of cyberland is really bitching about the demise of FLIGHT...how about archiving this forum and, when you make the move to Prepar3d, start one here. This sim is in its infancy. LM has an official support forum that is tightly regulated because of legal issues. A_V_S_I_M has an unofficial forum but you and I know how that place works. The other biggies are still hanging on to FSX and discussion of Prepar3d is limited to general discussion forums rather than dedicated ones.

Post subject: Re: MS Flight Cancelled
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

Well, it took me a very long time to make the move to Prepar3D, because my old PC would never have been able to run it. Soon after my new computer arrived last summer, I learned that P3D version 2.0 was in beta testing, so I waited until the new version was released in late November. Even though I personally liked P3D from the start, v.2.0 and v.2.1 were both a bit buggy, so I wasn't ready to fully support it yet (especially after all the issues with MS Flight). Version 2.2, followed shortly by the flight planner hotfix finally fixed the biggest problems. So it was not until April 10, 2014 that we had a truly stable version of P3D2. Since then I've been working on a P3D section of my website, but it wasn't something that I had the time to focus on until the past two weeks or so.

My updated and newly expanded Flightsim Journal finally went online late last night, and it now includes a Prepar3D section. And today I added a new Airport Category (for flightsims), with Prepar3D and MS Flight forums.

On July 03 Microsoft announced that Flight's multiplayer servers will be shutdown on October 14, 2014. But I still decided to keep the MS Flight section of my Flightsim Journal active (and updated) for now, as there are sill a lot of people who use Flight. Plus Dovetail Games announced on July 9th, that it had completed "a global licensing deal with Microsoft, granting them the rights to develop and publish all-new flight products based on Microsoft’s genre-defining flight technology. The company is currently investigating new concepts in this area and is expecting to bring a release to market in 2015." We don't really know what that means yet, but there's still a slight chance that Flight could be revived . . . so at this point, I still want to keep MS Flight as an active part of this forum.

Arwen's Star Citizen Journal