Arwen's Realm

A Virtual Community
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:12 am

Welcome
Welcome to Arwen's Realm!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Watcha reading?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:23 am 

Finished the last book in the Dune series a week ago. I rather liked the series, but I'm not planning on reading the extended series authored by the author's son (and one other guy).

Currently reading Ripples of Battle, by Victor Davis Hanson. It talks about three battles where western powers fought (Okinawa - WW2, Shiloh - American Civil War, Delium - ancient Athens and Boeotia) and the way these battles would later shape the way westerners think. It's not quite as profound as other books that I've read by this military historian in the past, but as usual his hypothesis is spot on. So far he's related Japanese kamikazis in the Pacific theater of World War 2 to modern day suicide bombers, and discussed how the tactic, while potentially powerful, is not a viable counter against a western nation's military power. He talked about how General Sherman devised the secrets of total war after the battle of Shiloh, and how certain southern generals perpetrated a continuing outlook by southern American states to feel cheated out of a victory. He discusses how one frustrated general would go on to write Ben Hur due to his tarnished image, and how another would shape the foundations of racism in the south of this country.

I'm still reading about Delium, which he claims as the foundation battle for an entire western tradition of battle that would eventually find its way to Alexander the Great, and as a battle that shaped much important Greek drama of the time, and as a battle that saw to the survival of Socrates, and all of the philosophy that he would continue to teach that is still with us today. Very interesting so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:32 am 

Raymond E. Feist - "Magician".
First time through, been reading it on and off for a little year now...

Peter Bro Miltersen - "P, NP and NPC".
Yabbers on and on about the theory of NP-completeness.

Dimitris Bertsimas & John N. Tsitsiklis - "Introduction to Linear Optimization".
VERY boring book on linear optimization. Very heavy on the math. Math I've never had.
Yay. :?

Dave Shreiner, Mason Woo, Jackie Neider, and Tom Davis - "OpenGL Programming Guide".
Rather good book, that tries to explain the fundamentals to OpenGL programming. Not so good for self-learning though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:43 pm 

Sounds like you don't have much time for personal enjoyment reading, Xit.

Cheers, and hope that changes.

What does that second one entail, out of curiosity?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:12 am 

"P, NP and NPC" deals with a rather important part of theoretical computer science. Namely is something easily computable, meaning can it be computed in polynomial time.

If something is easily computable it's in the complexity class P, if it's not it's in NP. NPC is a special case of NP, which is the toughtest of the NP problems.

The big question is whether or not P=NP. Meaning are there an easy way (i.e. in polynomial time) to compute every problem.
If they are equal then it would mean that for example factorization would be easy to compute, which would mean that a lot of security related stuff would be easy to crack, since they rely on the fact that factorization is hard.

If you want to know more try Wikipedia. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

Ryft wrote:
Sounds like you don't have much time for personal enjoyment reading, Xit.

Cheers, and hope that changes.

I'm stuck with xit's lack of personal enjoyment reading at the moment. :(

My current reading list includes such stimulating titles as "The new Worl Order", "Media Concentration and Democracy", "Introducing Global Issues", "The Politics of News", and "The Racing Rules of Sailing."

I'll be glad when I can get back to some fun recreational reading.

Arwen's Star Citizen Journal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:08 am 

Various cooking books. :)

Violets are #0000FF
All my base are belong to you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:55 pm 

Books about World War 2. Drastic, isn´it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:34 pm 

Only real book i have is Lord of the rings, other than that i have:

-Cooking books
-Donald duck magazines
- computer game manuals
-other various comic books

Guess i need to get some real books huh? Most night i just lie in bed while i watch Tv till i fall asleep. then i wake up like 1-2 hours later and wonder why the show is over :(

Violets are #0000FF
All my base are belong to you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:24 am 

At the moment, I am rereading Robert Jordan's Knife of Dreams, reading Simon Green's Just Another Judgement Day, Poul Anderson's the Winter of the World, Nieztche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra, James Stewart's Calculus and Arfken's Mathematic Methods for Physicsts (those last two because I agreed to tutor Calculus and realized how much I have myself forgotten in it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:44 am 

Kurt Jensen, Lars M. Kristensen - "Coloured Petri Nets Modelling and Validation of Concurrent Systems".
Paolo Bellvista, Axel Küpper and Sumi Helal - "Location-Based Services: Back to the Future".
A. Küpper - "Location-based Services - Fundamentals and Operation".
Want, R., Hopper, A., Falcao, V., Gibbons, J - "The Active Badge Location System".
Bahl, P., and Padmanabhan, V - "RADAR: An in-building RF-based user location and tracking system".
Yu-Chung Cheng, Yatin Chawathe, Anthony LaMarca, John Krumm - "Accuracy characterization for metropolitan-scale Wi-Fi localization".

Bloody boring stuff... :?

Post subject: Re: Watcha reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:46 am 

Just finished reading "Queen of Angels" by Greg Bear (for the second time). I can't claim to have read every Sci Fi writer out there, but Greg Bear is easily the best of those I have. I would HIGHLY recommend this book and it's semi-sequel, "Slant".

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:13 pm 

Well, I'm currently re-reading a sci-fi book I enjoyed years ago called 'Anthem' by Ayn Rand.
It is a short story but still speaks to the heart.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:29 am 

I'm now reading a history of the Knights Templar and medieval crusades. Egads what a horrific epoch. I'll need some light reading after this...maybe 'The Wind In The Willows' again. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:26 am 

Sadly enough, not even a course that entails reading literature as one of its core components is safe from "university reading", books to read that you wish you didn't have to.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:52 pm 

Right now I'm reading William Gibson's "Idoru".
Rather good book actually.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:38 am 

Just restarted Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series. I had started them several years ago and dropped them in the middle of Book #5. There were 6 out then...13 now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:31 pm 

Just finished Neil Gaiman's Stardust. Not too impressed compared to the film, actually! That hardly ever happens to me!

The book was very good in some places, but it definitely suffered from the "too short" syndrome. Plus, the ending was just... weird! The way it ended was inconsistent (IMO) with how the characters behaved in the rest of the story. Perhaps if Gaiman had made the book longer, he could have explained himself better. There was certainly room! Not even close to 300 pages long.

Filing this one under "short books that can be forgotten".

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:37 pm 

I agree Saphalline I wasn't too impressed with 'Stardust' either. I liked the "little brown man" character though and wish he had been in the film. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:47 pm 

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time book 12.
Barely started on it...

Colloquial German.
Brushing up on my German. :)

Basic course in Estonian by Felix J. Oinas.
Learning new languages is fun. ^^

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:44 pm 

Ich habe Deutsch zu sprechen.

Ich verliere sprachen so schnell in diesen tagen.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:00 pm 

[quote="xit"]Raymond E. Feist - "Magician".
First time through, been reading it on and off for a little year now...

Great series, pretty much what opened up the fantasy world for me and showed me D&D.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:26 am 

I gifted myself with a Kindle 3 a couple weeks ago, so have been poking around finding free and cheap book sets for that.

So far I have managed to download all the Tarzan books by Edgar Rice Burroughs, the first six of his Barsoom books, two books on Philosophy by Immanual Kant (Critique of Pure Reason and Critique of Practical Reason if you are interested), have found all but two of the Avenger books in one collection and a third of the Doc Savage books in one download (I do love the pulps), as well as a couple of Shadow and Spider pulp books. I have grabbed a few free anthologies from new authors who want their work to be seen, have translated one hundred eighty eight short stories into Kindle format (with calibre, a very useful program), and have latched onto four samples of new release books (the first chapter or chapter and a half of the books).

All this has cost me two dollars and ninety nine cents.

I then bought two books that are presently in hardcover (for nine dollars each) and one book that will be in hardcover next week (the digital book was available one week before the hardcover came out) for fourteen dollars.

I should be good for reading material for the rest of the month.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:58 am 

Meh reads "Universumi Mikromaailm" roughly translates as "Universes Microworld".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:59 pm 

Guns, Germs, and Steel - by Jared Diamond. Saw the documentary series and managed to find the book at a library sale for a dollar! :D

Very interesting book. I do not think it explains EVERYTHING, but I do think his ideas fill in a lot of gaps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:17 pm 

Saphalline: I read that book it is pretty interesting for sure.

I just finished Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series which was my mind break book. The most recent books I have read are(from most recent to least)
"A History of the English Language, Fifth Edition" Cable, Thomas
"Lost Christianities : The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew" Erhman, Bart
"Misquoting Jesus " Erhman, Bart
"The Lion of St. Mark, a Story of Venice in the Fourteenth Century" Hent, G.A.
Wheel of Time Series: Jordan, Robert

And I am Currently Reading
"Empires of the Word: A Language History of the World" Ostler, Nicholas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:12 am 

Huh, didn't know all of these post existed until today. Thought I'd look around and found all of these post. I have to say that most of them are old on the time line though, wonder if anyone still reads them. There are so many books to read today where does anyone find the time? I have my own library of hundreds of books and I always keep a good number on hand that I haven't read yet. Most of my books however deal with metaphysics. I do have several just for enjoyment though, I like a good autobiography too especially on someone interesting. Many of my books deal with the new experiments in quantum physics as well since they carry over into other dimensions. Such as the confusion of the speed of light. My opinion is that the speed of light as we think of it is limited in the 3/4D world we live in but they have been finding that the speed of light isn't the fastest thing around and that's because now they are actually peering into another dimension where the speed of light is not the limit. You can keep building more powerful microscopes and see smaller and smaller particles but sooner of later science needs to realize that there is no limit and that's because it extends beyond our normal universe since there are many universes. But they are all superimposed on top of each other and not out there someplace. It is very probable that everything exist in one spot but until it is accepted that it is in the mind of a super energy force or consciousness then that concept is kind of hard to wrap one's mind around. Yesterday's science fiction is today's science and tomorrows science is today's science fiction. Always has been that way and always will. In the late 1800's they wanted to close the patent office because they thought everything had been invented already. Well, that's what I read one time but if it was true or not I don't know but what is true is we will never know it all because everything continues to evolve. Okay, I'm getting away from what I read now aren't I? So, some of the books I'm reading are: The Convoluted Universe, Kryon, The Holographic Universe, The Human Antenna, Indigo Children, The Divine Matrix, and so many more. Many of the newer books I am reading are on experiments in quantum energy. Fascinating studies. Even experiments of changing events in the past and changing time lines. I tell my friends that the reason they don't see many of the things I do is because they don't expand their world enough in their mind. Most people limit and filter themselves, a trait of being human. It's possible that anything is possible, which is what I believe now and I was once a pragmatist until I started expanding my reality. We only limit ourselves. May our lights shine brightly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:29 pm 

Xerius; have you read all of those books you downloaded for the kindle or are they still waiting to be read? I wonder about that because I have downloaded many free books, like from OSHO, Dweller on two planets, and many books on time travel, inner space, etc and still haven't read them but they are on the NOOK anyway. That's because I found that I still enjoy reading a paper book. Since I've downloaded all of those free books I have purchased many new hard bound books that I have been reading first.

Something I have noticed however is when I do use the NOOK, I get a tingle or burn feeling from the NOOK when I hold it. That's even in airplane mode where it's not doing WIFI. I have to put it in a foam shell to avoid holding it. I wonder if anyone else has experienced that with other readers? I also get the same effect from cell phones and wireless phones. Maybe I've become too sensitive to frequency? I have been practicing energy healing at times so perhaps that has made me more sensitive?

You have to be in order to detect out of balance energy when scanning a body. Now I know why Don Juan Matus could not go to Los Angeles with Carlos Castaneda, ha ha. I can also sense negative energy now and it does drain you.

Just purchased a couple new books to read, and one is actually just a novel can you imagine? It's called Labyrinth, and not the David Bowie movie Labyrinth either. This one is much like Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code", full of historical reference and an adventure written by Kate Mosse. But first, I have three other books to finish.

Last edited by Utlo on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:44 am 

Oh, most certainly have read them all. You see, the Kindle is a book. It feels like a book when you hold it, the text looks like a book, and the Kindle itself is about the shape of a normal paperback book and about the same weight. The non backlit screen means you do not get the impression you are looking at a computer screen. For all intents and purposes, it is a book that makes you change pages with your thumbs.

I have read Labyrinth, and the other books in that series. Not a bad series, but she has not put out a new book in it for quite some time.

Also realize that I do read a great deal. My personal library contains four thousant two hundred nineteen books, and although I do have a 'to read' pile closing in on two hundred books, I have read all the rest. I do not read as much as I used to, but I have little interest in television (there are months I never turn the thing on and at worst I watch two hours a week), so I end up reading during the hours most people are staring at their TV screens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:24 pm 

That's a few books indeed for a personal library. I've had four libraries over the years but whenever I move I usually unload most all of them unless they are rare books. At present I'm down to around 500 books or so of which maybe 50 I've yet to read. It's rare however that I don't read a book that I don't own unless once I start to read it I find out the author doesn't know what they are talking about which I have found at times. Anything that turns me against a book is when it's on a subject where the author is supposed to be imparting knowledge and then asks questions that are obvious to the subject indicating they don't really now that much about at all. If it's a book on a specific subject, the reason I got the book in the first place was to learn more about it not to critic what the author knows about it. Of course Novels are different, you don't have to be an authority on a subject to write a story, just be a good story teller. Something that can capture the imagination or inspire. I especially like stories that mix in well researched fact which gives it an air of being realistic, and of course Biographies of certain people.

The Nook is supposed to feel like a paperback as well and uses that digital ink without the backlight as well. However, it radiates something that feels like a mild electrical shock on my fingers so I don't use it as often as I had intended to. I find it is good to put on operation manuals in pdf so you can have it handy when working on something. Such as I have for my Synthesizer. The Nook however isn't as good as I had hoped it would be, at least the first black and white version they put out where it has two screens, one for manipulation and one to view the subject. The newer version is just one screen but I think I'll be getting the new Kindle color instead even though it is a backlit type. At least you can read them in the dark but the hours on battery are a lot less than the digital ink.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:18 am 

Yes, it is my intent to purchase a Kindle Fire when they start to become a bit more available. At present, I would have to order one from south of the border, and I prefer not to have to do that, since it causes extra warantee issues, and I cannot be sure it will run adequately on the more mature wireless networks here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:03 pm 

My book collection is small compared to yours, simple as that.

Anyhoo, at the moment I'm enjoying Terry Pratchett's "Snuff" novel.
Nothing fancy, just fantasy, but a good read so far which is what matters in the end. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:53 pm 

That's cool - one doesn't have to collect books to enjoy them anyway. The only reason I have so many is because I loan them out to others, kind of like a free library. I sometimes do research and use them as reference. There are also some that there is no way I could absorb more than 40% in the first read of the content so when I do read them over it's like reading a new book, ha ha. Repetition makes it stick better on some things as well. Besides I like to see if other books I have read after with new information conflicts with what was written before. Real truth is unchanging while false truth does. (until it's not, some false truth last a very long time!)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:47 pm 

Books i was reading:
Adventures of Gotrek and Felix. There was plenty of them i got my hands on few.Funny stuff i must say.
Martha Wells:"The Element of Fire"
Eric Van Lustbader:"The Ring of Five Dragons"
Eragon:Stoped at fourth tom.Need to check how thigs going when i get a "season" for reading again.
There was few other books (actually a lot) but those were umm..obligatory books(?) so it doesnt count ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:44 pm 

That's a lot of dragon books and adventure type. Does anyone read the books in the Elderscroll series? There are a lot of books to read in there. I'm glad they finally fixed the book shelves so you can collect them and have them stand up right. It was a joke trying to put them on the shelf in the earlier series. It would have been nice if they had also made it so whatever you put on shelves would be put in order and not just dropped anyplace you could find room. Usually they would fall out when you came back in the room anyway.

Tireon, I notice that you have read Ayn Rand, I had to check it out because I was familiar with that name and forgot where. Then I found it as she wrote Atlas Shrugged which is kind of a prophetic book since we are kind of living that here today. They have made it into a movie but in three parts and the second part is due out this coming month. That's a hefty book to read.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:13 am 

You know,i didnt noticed i read so much about dragons hah.Funny thing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:30 pm 

Utlo wrote:
Does anyone read the books in the Elderscroll series? There are a lot of books to read in there.

Tireon, I notice that you have read Ayn Rand, I had to check it out because I was familiar with that name and forgot where. Then I found it as she wrote Atlas Shrugged which is kind of a prophetic book since we are kind of living that here today. They have made it into a movie but in three parts and the second part is due out this coming month. That's a hefty book to read.

I have most certainly read and enjoyed the various books in Morrowind, and since ninety percent of the Oblivion books are just the Morrowind books again, I cannot be certain I have caught every book in Oblivion, but likely have come close. One of my many runs through Morrowind included a quest to collect every book in the game so I could read the various multi part books in order (Poison Song is not a 'series' you want to read at two in the morning).

Atlas Shrugged is an amusing book in a lot of ways. It tried so hard to be a doom and gloom book, hyping the intellectual as the hidden ruler of the world and showing the futility of politics, but it has become such an analyzed book, I have to wonder how much of the wondrous symbolism people find in the book was actually intended to be there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:27 am 

I noticed that many books are repeated but once in awhile you come across one that refers back to the previous game. I do like it when you find a book that gives a new formula or recipe. That would be a major chore trying to collect all of those books since they don't stack very well on book shelves. Unless there is a trick to it that I never found out about. You could however in Skyrim since they fixed the book shelving.

I'm sure the Atlas Shrugged book had some old ideas in it as it was written some time ago. However, the idea is an old one which is repeated over and over throughout history. But it is timely now due to the conspiracy theories about the take over of this government in the present day. They haven't gone away by any means and there will always be those that desire ultimate control. Rich people get bored. George Soros even stated that he plays with busting countries and playing with their economy. It's just a game to them or an experiment but what does that say about them? It has been done many times in recent history. Just look at both world wars where the banks funded both sides so they could make money from them in the long run.

So even though the story is outdated and certainly political, it is timely and maybe they will use some of today's events in it to bring it up to date. (doubtful though.) It's also interesting that a woman writer ventured into such a subject much like Shelly did with Frankenstein.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:10 am 

I finished reading the book "Proof of Heaven" by a Neurosurgeon that was sure there was none even as he was also sure the brain created those experiences that people claimed they had during a near death event.
What made his experience different from others I have read is that his brain was shut down during his coma from E-Coli Meningitis and the neo-cortex was not working so he was not able to connect with memories of earth experiences. What that did was to allow him to experience the NDE differently in that he had no "baggage" so to speak.
What I mean by that is that when someone has a NDE and ventures to the other side of reality in a conscious state, they also take with them beliefs of their present life and expectations. Therefore they tend to see things from a biased point of view. Usually they will meet someone in their family that has already passed over or a friend but in the case the the Neurosurgeon he did not recognize anyone due to his disassociation from earth memories. That allowed him to experience things from an unbiased point of view without expectations. He also had not read any books on the subject as well when he did return to consciousness a week later so his experience was virgin so to speak and he was advised to write down all that he could recall before reading what others had experienced. That way he wasn't led to explain things from something he had read.

Also, by having no earth memories during the experience he was totally open to everything. One might wonder how he was able to be cognizant of what was what but then you have to understand that we already know vast amounts of knowledge but when we first arrive back home (our real home) we are still relating to our earth identity and it's physics. It takes awhile to be re-educated again and drop that "earth baggage" of limitations and beliefs that we picked up there.

So, even though the title is "proof of heaven", it's really only proof to the person experiencing it. The only evidence is based on what we presently know about how the brain functions and according to the monitors his brain was inactive so that would tend to indicate he could not be dreaming it all up. It's a good read however and I found a few interesting things of note in it that tends to lend credibility to his state of consciousness at the time.

Consciousness is something you can't weigh or measure so it's more of a subjective thing. Makes for interesting philosophy. And because of that how do you get real physical proof? You don't. It's still an individual experience that isn't going to prove anything to someone not having it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:25 am 

Heard about another read on Heaven recently on Coast to Coast and decided I'd get it. So far it's a pretty good read and pretty much coincides with what I understand is on the other side. What I like about this book however is that "The Afterlife of Billy Fingers" is from a non religious point of view and perhaps that is because he was a "bad boy" most of his life. When we was killed in his 60's by being drunk and ran into the street and got hit, his sister was in Long Island a retired doctor and now music writer. He came to her and started telling her what it was like where he is, mostly floating throughout the Universe seeing things and learning things. But then later he gets into the other aspects of things like if you are religious there are places there that cater to that and that is pretty much true as you will be received to places that you are expecting, which in some cases could even be a hell if that is what you expect. But the message is, that there is no judgement other than what you yourself do about yourself and everything there is all about love and joy and wanting to experience as much as you can without any pressure. It's a great message and no conflict for anyone's belief system as there is something there for all of us. I personally have read hundreds of stories like this from near death experiences and such and since my daughter just passed over it is comforting to know that she is in good hands and receiving lots of attention there. The real sad part is that her daughters are still young and will miss their mother and think life is unfair to take her away so soon. They are having birthdays around the same time as their mom and it is hard to celebrate at this time as it is this week.

At any rate, just wanted to pass along the information about this book for anyone interested. The author is Annie Kagan. There is a forward by Dr. Raymond Moody as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:26 am 

Have any of you guys ever heard of a 70's fantasy trilogy collectively called "Riddle of Stars" by Paticia McKillip? I discovered it back in high school and have since reread it two more times, the last being just recently. It is..... SO WONDERFUL. I get really tired of Middle-Earth clone books in fantasy, which seem like 90% of what I try to pick up. I disliked the first Wheel of Time book so much I never continued the series; same with Sword of Shannara and other 'classics'. Two tropes I've grown to despise: "young-person-is-the-chosen-one-for-some-reason-even-though-he-really-doesn't-do-anything-to-deserve-it" (the "Harry Potter" syndrome), and "check-out-how-awesome-this-tough-warrior-dude/chick-is-no-one-can-kill-them" (David Eddings, etc.) Sorry for sounding negative, but I guess I'm a sucker for CHARACTERS YOU CARE ABOUT.

Enter Morgon, the farmer-prince of Hed, and his childhood crush Raederle. So warm, so intelligent and thoughtful, so earnest in their love for life and optimistic wanderlust-- I love them so. Deth, the enigmatic, ageless harpist makes my breath catch. No book has made me wish to play an instrument so badly, or want to go to college so much (if only there was a college like this one!).

McKillip is a deliberately-paced, introspective writer who, like Tolkien, can paint both grand, mysterious heroes and simple, down-to-earth folk with the same tenderness and depth, and then combine them into the same person. Such a unique, re-readable series. I highly recommend it to jaded fantasy fans.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:52 pm 

komorebi wrote:
...., but I guess I'm a sucker for CHARACTERS YOU CARE ABOUT. ....

Then I'd recommend one of these.. by Anne McCaffery..

Dragon song, singer, drums

Dragon Flight, Quest, & the white dragon,

Crystal singer, Killashandra, Crystal line

Presently I am re-reading the Freedom's Landing series,
a bit longer, but I find it a storyline much easier to get into,
(especially after they end up stuck exploring/colonizing the planet. )

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:36 am 

Thanks for the recommendations! I've never read McCaffery; guess it's about time! :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:31 am 

Just bought Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter's "The Long Earth".
A fantasy/sci-fi book, and will most likely finish it within the next couple of days.
Nooo idea how it is, just bought it cause I like the authors, and it sounded interesting. :P

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:41 am 

Well xit, have you read that book yet and how was it?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:48 am 

I just ordered three more books and one I took with me from B&N. Probably nothing anyone would be interested in but me, ha ha. One is called "The History Of God" and not about religion mind you. It's more about how the Universes are set up and who runs them.
Another one is "Navigating the Collapse of Time, a peaceful path through the end of illusions. (remember the matrix?) The other two are more spiritual type books, like "You are the answer" discovering and fulfilling your soul's purpose.
Like I said, probably not anything of interest to most.

I also get monthly Computer Music magazines to read.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:53 am 

Just finished "The Afterlife" by Eaton. Answers most questions of what to expect, what you will be doing and where you go from there as it's an ever ongoing process. For all of those that think you will just be in the ground, good luck with that. There is no rest for the weary so to speak as life goes on, just in another form. But you'll be in a place where you might say, "create yourself a chair and join in".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:41 am 

Just finished Wheel of Time series, excellent books. Brandon Sanderson finished off Robert Jordans work superbly. Also loved his Mistborn series. Would love to see these in Film or in series like Game of Thrones.
Started Robin Hobbs Liveship Traders triology, loving them!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:23 pm 

In the last month, I read the Benny Imura series, 77 Shadow Street by dean koontz, Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens

I am starting to exhaust my books...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:22 pm 

I have trimmed my 'to read' pile down from two hundred eighty three books to only two hundred sixty one books, but it will be awhile before I exhaust my supply of available reading material.

On the plus side, after a very sparse summer for new books, three books in series I have been reading came out on August 27. One of them turned out to be largely filler material, but the other two were enjoyable.

I also finally read the third Game of Thrones book, after much prodding from a friend who loves the series, and found it as poorly written as the first two. Martin never found an adjective he did not like, and every page of his novel seems to contain two nouns, three verbs, and the rest of the page adjectives, unless food is involved, in which case you just get three pages of adjectives strung together.

A real shame, as he is one of the best editors I have found occasion to run across.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:17 pm 

Xerius wrote:
I have trimmed my 'to read' pile down from two hundred eighty three books to only two hundred sixty one books, but it will be awhile before I exhaust my supply of available reading material.

On the plus side, after a very sparse summer for new books, three books in series I have been reading came out on August 27. One of them turned out to be largely filler material, but the other two were enjoyable.

I also finally read the third Game of Thrones book, after much prodding from a friend who loves the series, and found it as poorly written as the first two. Martin never found an adjective he did not like, and every page of his novel seems to contain two nouns, three verbs, and the rest of the page adjectives, unless food is involved, in which case you just get three pages of adjectives strung together.

A real shame, as he is one of the best editors I have found occasion to run across.

My problem was... for a while, it wasn't uncommon for me to visit the library every day or 2 for a new book... I could read fast, retain pretty much all of it, and I liked to read... plus, I had a lot of free time in high school. Now, a bit less, but I still enjoy a good book when I can, especially with my nook being eternally in my backpack or purse.

Oh, and two months ago I got through the entire Dark Tower series by Stephen King, gotta admit, King is twisted in the most horrible ways... but he is a good author (in most cases anyways)

Oh... and I follow one manga(mwanha?(other???))) with some very well done character development. Everyone takes the spotlight as a temporary protagonist at some point or another, and the series has a massive amount of back-lore which is explained in ending notes, since it would serve no purpose in the direct storyline. I think one of the reasons I like it, is because it reminds me of the elder scrolls in this regard. There is a lot of history influencing everything that happens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:54 pm 

Good to see there are others that read, I encounter only a few normally. I'm presently reading two books but one is pretty far out there only it is of much interest. It is called "The History Of God", yeah, pretty far out there. It's nothing to do with religions though as it deals with the hierarchy of the rulers of the multiverses. It's fascinating and extremely informative and what I really like about it is that as overwhelming as it is, it shows that we have such a long way to go yet so there is no boredom ahead.

Even if one finds it unbelievable, it is still a fantastic read and vies any science fiction book ever written. That being said, if one accepts that it has validity then they will learn the purpose of their soul in the process. I find that it reflects many things I have read in other books that left one hanging because it only hinted at such things. Like, in the Conversations with God, it was mentioned that God also was part of something greater which this book explains what that is; called the "Origin".

I've only started to read this one but from it I wonder if it is explaining a phenomena that we are seeing in space where things are speeding up and since there is an edge of space, it is growing in the process. That is probably because as "God" is learning through us, it is evolving as well and expanding. Learning about oneself is not unique to humans! It's mind blowing to say the least.

The other book I started reading at the same time is "You are the Answer" which deals with a more personal approach of your soul's purpose here on earth. James Van Praagh wrote the into to it and he swears by this books as being something we all need to hear. He himself has learned much from the author regarding his own purpose here. Needless to say, I enjoy books of this nature as they open the mind to see things we normally may never know about. Anyone thinking there are no new frontiers would find that we have hardly explored anything yet.

I can attest from my own personal experiences though that there is a difference from believing something versus knowing something. But until one takes the journey to enlightenment may not understand the difference. We accept that we get light if we flip a switch on the wall but how many understand the science behind it all? I'm talking about on the atomic level to the process of the effect we are seeing. From that it is possible to understand why Einstein believed in a conscious creator. To many of us, it is not too hard to reach that point of understanding inspite of many using science to prove there is no God. I think that is because they don't accept what they don't understand so they just deny it or ignore it.

Actually, I find it sad that there is so much being discovered that many refuse to keep an open mind that anything is possible, much like the US Patent office in the late 1800's thinking they should close the office because everything was already discovered and invented. (or so it is said, but the analogy stands.) One thing I have learned, it's not "I'll believe it when I see it", it's more "I'll see it when I believe it." One has to expand their world (mind) to evolve their understanding. Happy exploring!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:25 am 

Currently reading several books.

George R.R. Martin's "A clash of kings"
Fantasy book, but it's good.

Brian Cox & Jeff Forshaw "The quantum universe: everything that can happen does happen"
A beginners book to quantum mechanics. Quite interesting if you're interested in that sort of stuff. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:56 am 

I'm into that quantum mechanics stuff but have not read that book, sounds good though. I'm presently fascinated with the "History of God" book because it is loaded with new stuff for thought. It explains the multiverse and how it is arranged. One thing about the time line that I had always thought that the movies got wrong was that you could not interact with yourself because it would cause untold problems. What I suspected is correct, that if you came back in time then the time line you came from would still exist only now you would be creating a new one so that both would exist.

I'm excited that quantum mechanics is appearing in medicine, electronics, and other branches of science now because it is finally verifying many of the things I have believed in over the years. I'll be glad when they get over the notion that you can't have zero point energy and that's because they really don't understand it anyway. The other alternative is that they do not want us to believe it exist because then they would lose their precious gold mine of carbon energy.

The sad thing is, I had a 1950 Buick Special that got 20 mpg and in the past 60 years we have not improved very much, and I know better because I had a friend that worked in the carburetor division of GM and he knew of experimental carbs that got near 50 mpg in the early 60s. It's just like wide band internet, we pay a lot for a mere 12 mbs while other countries in Europe are getting more than 10 times that speed for less money. It's all about control. Milk the working man for all they can get and only give back what you can get away with. The US needs an overhaul in their greedy thinking.

I mean that in a way that this society has been bred as a throw away mentality. American cars don't hold retail value as well as foreign cars because they are not designed to last. Henry Ford use to go to the junk yards and find out what parts were still good and then cheapen them because they didn't want cars to last that long. Just look at how many cell phones some people go through just because a new one came out. Is there any wonder why there is so much waste? I like my stuff to last as long as possible before I get a new one. My choice of course. But I see so much waste it's sad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:55 pm 

I got curious as to what books on Quantum I had in my own library, so I dug into my bookcase of old University books to see how many classes I had taken on the subject.

I would guess it was only two, as I have An Introduction to Quantum Physics by A.P. French and Edwin F. Taylor, and Quantum Mechanics by Eugen Merzbacher. It has probably been thirty years since I read either of them though.

At present, my own reading is a bit curtailed, as I received notification in August that both my MCSE and my Security+ certifications were expired, so I am studying for the eleven exams I will need to take in October to get four of my certs back.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:35 am 

A new series of 5 books are coming out, the first I just got, "Infinite Energy Technologies" which goes into Tesla, Cold Fusion, Antigravity, magnetics and such. It covers some of the leading names in the search for sustainability of energy. We really do need to get off of the fossil fuels. Of interest, I watched amateur movie of a guy that built his own miniature refinery. It works using sticks from the trees and bushes. It produces three types of crude oil, gas to run a generator, gas for vehicles, hot water, and of course heat for the house. All from sticks. The movie is about an hour long but very impressive. If anyone is interested, check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arbXj9R6ZXw

I learned a lot from watching it. This guy gives a great presentation and shows you every step of the way. Good way to get rid of your tree scraps as well. I'd like to see this as a complete unit that you could buy and hook up. If I lived off the grid, this would be something I'd be making myself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:33 pm 

Well currently i am reading a quite hilarious book called "The Comet". Its an alternative history story where the Austrian Archduke Ferdinand was not killed in Sarajevo ("I am not a lunatic, lets get out of here"), and therefore the First World War never happened. It plays in contemporary times with the Habsburg Monarchy still existent, Germany colonized the moon, the US is an unimportant country far away. Its fun written and also very intelligent written in regard of how the Austrian Monarchy and its Bureaucracy could still exist with its (ongoing) stupidity. Nevertheless the world still seems to come to an end as a huge comet is crahsing into earth right near Vienna..:-)

Sadly its only in german!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:31 am 

Utlo wrote:
Its fun written and also very intelligent written in regard of how the Austrian Monarchy and its Bureaucracy could still exist with its (ongoing) stupidity. Nevertheless the world still seems to come to an end as a huge comet is crahsing into earth right near Vienna..Sadly its only in german!

By amusing coincidence, the only book I am currently reading is one on conversational German, as I am finding my vocabulary in the language has been slipping over the last eighteen months.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:57 am 

Guten Morgen Hr. Xerius...;-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:26 pm 

Guten abend, freut mich sehr, dich kennenzulernen.

Wie lauft's?

My keyboard suffers from a lack of alternate keys, as I am set up only for English and Finnish.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:14 pm 

Guten Abend, gut läufts!

Actually this is very Germany german. In Austrian German it would be: "Wie gehts? Gut gehts!"...but that is a bit off-topic..:-)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:39 pm 

Just finishes all released books to the sword of truth... Spice and Wolf
Read the Mortal Instruments series, Infernal Devices series, Divergent series...

One thing I love about books, it makes it easy to suspend all my personal beliefs and outlooks, and see things from a different perspective. oh, and as a distraction from the monotony of life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:29 pm 

Monotonous life? Hmmm. I don't find it so but then I don't live in the box. Anyone is capable to step outside the box and try new things even if it seems odd. Me personally, I open my mind to allow for just about everything in the Universe and filter from there if I find it's not something that I can learn from.

My granddaughter just recently told me that she does not regret the things she has done because now she knows what doesn't work. How many times have you heard people say they used to be a real pain in the bottom when they were young and now have changed completely and helping other people and doing things to help advance humanity? They didn't just start doing that without first experiencing some things to draw perspective from.

Reading is good because you do get other perspectives. I personally enjoy reading biographies even though I suspect they may embellish them a bit to make them more interesting but why did they even put it in their book unless it was significant to them at that point in their life? I'm presently reading one by Wayne Dyer called "I can see clearly now". He points out what events have caused him to take the path that he has being a spiritual leader of sorts and pretty well known. He also put out a DVD called "The Shift" based on his book of same.

When you get up in age, some, not all, start to see the patterns and the influences that led them to where they are at now and for what they believe based on their own personal experience. They also find that others have been a great influence in that direction. Those that have a lot of experience can draw from many things in the evaluation. So don't let boredom into your life when there is so much that you can accomplish. Sometimes real life is stranger than fiction. It's not a bad idea to expand your horizons a bit and look into things that might at first seem silly or fantasy but if there are millions of people exploring it, then it might just be based in some fact and could lead you to see life in a new perspective.

In that regard, my granddaughter surprised everyone in the family because she decided she wanted to get to know her Grandfather and now from those interactions has started a new life with a more enthusiastic approach. She is a lot smarter than many gave her credit for because of her previous behavior but that is typical of Indigo children.

I do tend to read too many books at one time, must be some ADD in me I guess, ha ha. I'm also reading I Quit Sugar, Conform, and a few other books depending on my mood as to which one I pick up to continue. Anyway, happy reading.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:03 pm 

There are some aspects of life that can't be escaped. I try to step out and do interesting stuff whenever possible, but my schooling and work habits make it harder for me. I am asleep most of the day, and though I can stay awake for 1-2 days, its hard. Especially since you lack interest in anything by that point.

Take spring for example. I would leave for college at 7am, and wouldn't get home until 5:30pm. I did that every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I got 3 hours of sleep, give or take, and I would go to work all night. This summer, I am taking a short break to rest. Working 4 days a week instead of 5, and no school.

Only 2 sources of entertainment I can get are games and books. Books being much more portable.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:31 am 

Well, sounds like you have a good start on life but who chose the path you are taking now? Are you being forced to go to college? Isn't that a personal choice? I do understand very well about not being able to escape some parts of life as you put it because I had to start work at 11 years old. But in the scheme of things, those are only short periods in life where you must do some things to survive or satisfy certain needs.

I could tell you some stories about not getting sleep but in most all cases, I was responsible for it and it was my choice so I do not regret it. Any thing that I chose to experience on my own I have learned from so it was not a waste and all things help shape who we are at any point in time. But we always have the power to say no or yes even though their may be consequences for those choices. I now see life as opportunities to advance my soul. Corny? maybe to some but not to me.

Hard work they say never hurts anyone but they are wrong, joints wear out, body parts can get hurt or damaged, but still life is only a very short period of time in the long journey we must take. Samsara is the journey through each life time and for most of us there have been many. I also understand that not everyone believes they have more than one life to live as it's a personal belief or a knowing. Regardless, to live life to the fullest sometimes requires a few years here and there of less than joyful times. But still we choose to do that or are suffering the consequences of some previous choice we made. After all, we all choose our parents and the life we are to be exposed to in order to gain some experience we feel will benefit our learning in the bigger picture. No one needs to believe that unless they choose to wake up and see the larger picture. That may take years or some lucky ones already are born with the knowledge.

When we are born into this physical reality we have to step down into a lower frequency and in the process we forget so much information which is lost in such a low frequency. It's all very scientific although most scientist are narrow minded and can't accept the truth of it because it's too much to grasp for them after being exposed to a narrow minded teaching. One sometimes first has to unlearn what they were taught in order to be open to other possibilities. I speak from experience but that is my experience as each of us has to take our own path and there are many paths to take. One is not necessarily better than any other, it all depends on what your own personal goal is to accomplish in this life at this time. Which is why we should never judge another as we do not know their goal. Actually, all things are allowed but each carries a consequence, be it good or otherwise.

Just a note regarding sleep, when I was in the Navy, sometimes for days I would be on liberty each night and get back in time for muster so there were times I'd go for days without sleep. That was all my own personal choice. It wasn't an aspect of life that I couldn't escape, I put myself there. I could have escaped it at anytime of my own choosing. That's all I mean when I say all of these things in life that we tend to think are forced on us and just who are we trying to make happy about it? Don't think negative about anything, always look for the bright things in any situation. Life can be beautiful and even our worse moments are gems that we have will remember and reflect on and learn from. Nuff said. Enjoy those books!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:02 am 

Reading an interesting book on Energy Medicine Technologies Edited by Finley Eversole, Ph.D.
Very interesting stuff it is. We have all heard about anti-oxidants right? Well, it turns out that you can actually get all of those you need right from the earth by standing barefoot on the ground, be it grass or concrete but not asphalt. Apparently it has to do with the electrical charge of our body and it makes sense since we are insulated when wearing shoes and can build up a positive charge when we really need the negative electrons to neutralize the oxidants. And the cost for such treatment, free!

That's just one subject as it also covers so many other ones such as Ozone, vibration, frequency, microcrystals, etc. Many of these scientist have won Nobel awards for their work so it's not quack medicine either. But in this country (USA) drug companies have such a hold on medicine that many things are outlawed, banned, and you can even be put in jail for advocating natural methods for curing diseases. It's sad that greed makes the poor suffer.

Since we have electro chemical bodies it makes sense that basic and complex interactions take place within founded in physics. (and quantum physics as they are finding out, such as epigenetics) I really enjoy reading books like this probably as much as anyone enjoys a good fiction or love novel. Science has always fascinated me but I broke from it exclusively because I believe (know) that there is much more beyond what we can detect with our six senses. I have experimented and verified such things myself.

The book is one of a series of books Eversole is editing and one other I have is based on the state of the art in energy technology including machines that put out more than they require to run them. (zero point energy) The oil barrens obviously will continue to side with present scientific community and have even influenced the Patent office to not accept any inventions that claim to work at zero point energy. That will eventually been shown to be FALSE though. There is more energy in a gram of matter then is required to run this country for a year. We still have a lot to learn and anyone that thinks we don't should perhaps read this book. (Or become acquainted with Nassim Harrimein. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XumPQLTzPWI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nauo9G0rrM (not good in a thunder storm!!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:42 am 

At present, I am rereading old books on the grounds that I do not have the energy to start unread books from my 'to read' pile. Besides, the books were enjoyable when I read them ten years ago, so I expect they will be enjoyable now.

I am working my way through the Death Gate Cycle and intend to start the Darksword trilogy by the same authors when I am done. I have also read a handful of fiction published in the early 20's century simply because their wonder over the technology of the day (automobiles, wireless communication, biplanes) amuses me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:22 am 

I've also read some of those types of books over the years and the future just keeps surprising us. I however do know a little more now then I did then because I'm finding out just what they really did know back then. There are two realities taking place simultaneously. The normal one we think we live in and the one no one talks about but is based in advanced technologies. What we have today that we think are advanced is old stuff to this other reality.

I have found lots of evidence supporting it and my brother was in the Navy back in the 50's and when in Washington doing some research in top secrete areas what he saw was like Flash Gordon stuff! It's easy to understand where all of that money disappears to that comes up short by the trillions. It's no surprise to me that there is a satellite around Mars with USSR and USA symbols on it. It just amazes me the games they play trying to convince us that we are so slow getting into space. If people only knew the truth!

Reality is stranger than fiction at times.

I'm also reading a book by David Limbaugh, a Lawyer and he puts Jesus on Trial and affirms the truth of the Gospel. I don't doubt many things in the Bible are based in truth as they have discovered many of the locations talked about from the Old Testament. Even some that sound fictitious. The scrolls found in the Qumran caves have many of those ancient stories as well as many of the New Testament as well, including Sermon on the Mount prior to it's time being given. Either they got the times mixed up or Jesus went to school at the Essene village and learned it. If I was there I don't remember it so I can't say if either is true.

At any rate, there are some very convincing arguments in the book and well worth reading.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:05 am 

Well to put it short: i am tired of believing what i am told in regard to our economic system - which expanded into other fields of society during the last 25 years, where it has nothing to do at all (e.g. Universities and Schools). So i started to read the "Holy People" of capitalism, whoms theories one is not really allowed to question in these days: Adam Smith, Hayek, Schumpeter and Mises...(the last three ones are all Austrians btw.).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:06 am 

The question is, does Capitalism make people greedy or are there already greedy people that use it to their advantage? I personally believe the latter is true. To my dismay I find that thieves are still alive and well today and there are those that believe their job is to see how much they can con off of others or just outright steal.

I find that stores are not carrying certain items now because they just get ripped off. I tried to buy some sheet copper the other day and went to several building supply stores and not one had any copper and they said you have to get in on line because it just gets stolen here in the store. Then there are those that hack into computers and steal credit card and debit card numbers to drain bank accounts, sick people they are. If they only knew what they are going to have to face when they leave this earth! I know beyond a shadow of a doubt whatever that we never die, are energy only changes form! They will be very surprised when their time comes.

It disgusted me when the CDC (center for disease control) bashed Nigeria for curing their Ebola patients with what the CDC calls pesticide! So their idea is to let them die of Ebola instead???? How disgusting that is! Isn't is a testimony of how wrong they are that the eight patients that were treated with it walked out of the hospital cured! That is just so typical of this health system, it sucks!

Fortunately, there are some maverick doctors that are writing books that are bucking the system and also taking the risk of curing people using banned devices and getting excellent results where normal prescribed methods failed. I really get heated every time I hear that someone I knew died of cancer by barbaric methods they used in the hospital because that's all they are allowed to use! Where is our rights to choose the methods we want to try? Just who is it that determines what we are allowed to do to heal ourselves? That's the problem we have to overcome in the world today!

In 1993, there was an article in the Medical Journal where at Einstein University they found that low electrical currents applied to the blood will kill all pathogens. Then all evidence of that article was redacted! God forbid the people have a cheap method to get healed, it just might break out economy! Good grief, is greed gotten that far along that they lost sight of "Do no Harm"? God help us all if that is the case.

Okay, had my rant, ha ha. It just boggles my mind of how controlled a free world really is. Our Constitution (the USA) grants states the right to be sovereign but of late that is not the case, states are being forced to bend to rules dictated by government. It used to be if you didn't like the way things were you'd move to a state where it had rules you preferred. (like marriage rules, speed limits, taxes, etc.) Has anyone looked at their phone bill of late and tried calculating all of the charges applied as federal taxes or federal access fees or other names they use? I called the phone company one time and asked about access fees and they claimed it was so those that could not afford to pay for phone lines could be helped? I have never known anyone that ever got use of that service. It's all phoney boloney as far as I'm concerned.
So yes, I too am not happy with our economic system as it's based on get as much as you can from those that can afford it and even those that can't.

Guess I said enough on the subject and there are many books crying the same story. Sorry if I touched a nerve with anyone. Peace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:15 am 

Capitalism promotes greed and you will always have thieves as long as you have the "ownership" as the dominant way of communication between human beings. because what should be the difference between a buglar breaking into a house and stealing 1000 in cash, and a person who breaks a law to earn 1 Million at the stock exchange.

Freedom in the US is an interesting topic as well - if i define freedom on basis of the US Constition then i need to ask whose freedom is meant? Those of the founding fathers? those of all male persons? all humans? delegates in an political assembly? those who own property ?

Interesting discussion but this would hijack this thread...so sorry for the derailing

Back to the OT: i forgot to add i still read the complete edition of Sherlock Holmes stories & books. Great reading!