Arwen's Realm

A Virtual Community
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:51 pm

Welcome
Welcome to Arwen's Realm!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Music Industry
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:21 am 

Has anyone taken notice of how much the music industry has changed? Besides tape having seemingly gone out the window and records a thing of history (for the most part) it is hard to find a place that carries a good variety of CDs. They do carry the latest ones but where they used to carry lots of old ones now you can't find that many. It's all about downloading now. Itunes has changed the way we get music but I have not purchased any music that way even though I have gotten free downloads in certain movies on DVD. I give those away.

Fortunately though, the kind of music I like today I can find at sites where musician hopefuls upload their music for free to people so they can hear what they do. If they get enough hits and downloads of their music then they get recognition and sometimes an offer to make a CD. But that is changing too because now they can just get it on Itunes and sell it for a buck. There are still plenty of free music however and sometimes I have to admit I have found some fantastic stuff. That's how some people get started in the business today.

The recording industry has done as much as they can so far to prevent people from being able to pirate music but with the internet it's hard to close that door completely. In the old days people could make a tape recording of a record but it was usually for your own personal use and I have many times made a cassette recording of the best cuts off of CDs for the car but it was for my use and I did pay for the CD. I still buy CDs though and make mp3 from them, or use to until Windows 7 came along and all of the old software like Music Match Jukebox doesn't work on it even with the compatibility feature. You still have to have an old operating system for it to work.

Along that note, Video is another matter, they don't even sell DVD recorders with a hard drive in this country. They are afraid you will copy a movie and sell it or give it away for free. That's why you see the logo on TV of the station so if you were to copy it the logo is still there. I don't have a problem with wanting to protect your product but what I don't like is the control factor of these industries where they now are trying to make it so you don't actually own anything. If you download something you have to agree that you don't own it and it still belongs to the industry it came from. People should actually read what they agree to!! By the way, a recorder they give you from dish or cable can record shows but not copy them to DVD. Now they have what they call the "hopper" that records several channels at one time. Crazy, who watches that much TV???

Post subject: Re: Music Industry
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:47 pm 

It's literally impossible to prevent people from pirating music. Btw couldn't you just drag and drop the files from your cd/dvd disc drive onto your hard drive? I have a codec that works with windows media player so I can play several different types of file types. I also have vlc media player but I like how windows media player is setup. I don't use vlc media player unless it's for videos.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:29 am 

Weeeell, you can't just drag'n'drop the music from the cds for the simple reason, they don't lie as individual mp3 files or anything. :P
So you really need a program to convert the cd to mp3s.

And apart from that, yes, people will probably always pirate music and movies.
Personally I do buy cds iff I like them, and often to support the bands.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:46 am 

Not only are you supporting the bands, you're also guaranteed 100% quality.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:46 pm 

Xit you are correct, supporting the artist is important just as it's important to support game makers if the game is good. We may want them to make more. ha ha. But, as far as software goes, there are lots of free programs that allow you to convert from one format to another and now I even downloaded the new You Tube video downloader in whatever format they have. I like it because it will download something like a turtorial in seconds compared to the slow streaming they use. I've had videos freeze up because it stopped downloading either from over use of the server or some data got dropped along the way and it doesn't know where it was in the streaming.

There are a few really good programs though which can convert from one format to another and they are free. Format factory is great for video and audio for that matter. There is also an FLV convertor and Divx plus. There are some othrs but Format Factory seems to cover most all of them and I can now convert a CD into MP3 in a couple of minutes. It also will go out and find the titles. (actually works better than MMJB did.) But it does have an upper limit, I think 160k conversin whereas MMJB would go to 320K. A minor thing of course.

What I find confusing however is the video formats as there are so many now. I tried various formats of the same video and got all kinds of different file sizes and qualities. Ironically, you'd think a smaller file size would be less quality and vice versa, not always true however. The compression techniques are varied and some work better than others for different things. What I hate is when someone uses a video format for audio, the file size is enormous. Good thing I can convert them into pure mp3 and the file shrinks by ten fold but of course it's not of the same quality but sufficient for what I wanted. I have download files from Kryon and they are 80 meg or more but the quality is so good you can hear people whispering or breathing and no hiss. So in that case, I leave them as is.

I do a bit of music in programs and of course wave files are much clearer than compressed files and if the quality is essential then you just accept that the files will be large. I'm still amazed at the fact that digital does what it does at any file size but in the old days, if I had as much memory as one small three minute song takes to make a game it, good grief!! The most I ever had was 128K to make a game in. And even then, there was a lot of overhead so you didn't get that much memory to work with anyway. That's about the size a decent compressed JPG today.

So, what type of music does anyone here listen to? I have read Xit's list of music at a couple places on line, like the Last FM and such. I prefer Synth music and have a couple of keyboards for that purpose. I am not a musician however but that doesn't stop me from playing with them. I like creating new sounds and then put them into a program like Music Maker and add stuff to them to make songs. I haven't posted any in the Sound Cloud however or the Last FM or ACID but people that have heard them think I should. I make music that tells a story in some way. Kind of what they call musicscapes. But being a perfectionist, none of them ever sound good enough so I don't post them. ha ha. Maybe someday I will.

Given that I like Synth music, (not all) I also like lots of other types as well. I have three albums of Evenescense, almost all of Enigma's, Ellie Goulding (pop type). Adele, Florence&Machine, and many others including classic, country, and hard rock. I also like many Inde's because they are independant and not a part of a large corporation. There music is not heard much on radio but then I don't listen to radio anymore. (for music that is.) (some talk radio is okay.) Some days I'll just scan You Tube and listen to someone I never heard of and if I like it enough, I'll look for the CD but I don't always find it. And I don't buy from Itunes so there are.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:58 am 

Metal, rock, "video game music". I have a lot of nintendo songs from the last one. Actually, I don't think I have any other video game music that's not from Nintendo.

Here is an example (Not from Nintendo): http://www.terriblefate.com/

You can actually download the songs for free in mp3/flac on this website. It's free from the site or you can pay what you want (basically donating) on bandcamp. You guys may or may not have seen the page before/heard the songs. They're pretty good. I know it's an old album but I recently found out that you candownload the songs there... LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:17 pm 

Interesting music, thanks for the link. As far as game music, I still like the Final Fantasy music. I also like the music covers of Skyrim I found on "Sound Cloud" which you can download as well. There are a few different artist that do the covers. They also do music from other games such as Assassin's Creed, Zelda, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:23 am 

Extreme metal, techno, darkwave, aggrotech, ebm, classical, jazz, opera, etc etc. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:11 am 

xit, how do you understand what they are saying in aggrotech, ha ha. Pretty hard on the larynx I'd say. I think of it as Halloween Trance music. I like some "dark" music, usually dark ambient. I don't know what catagory Evenescience fits into but I like it. It's a bit dark if not bordering on pure depression in some cases but then I used to listen to Leonard Cohen a lot when depressed. How would you classify aggrotech or classify it?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:21 am 

Humm, good question really.

I'd say it's like techno, but with a more menacing and dark sound, and yes, often enough the singer are almost growling. Often, but not always, the music itself sounds a lot more aggressive.

Might write more when I've thought about it for a bit. :P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:15 am 

I suppose if one was spaced out it wouldn't matter what it sounded like as long as it had a beat. Just seems one could come up with some better lyrics but then maybe they are mad at the world.

Okay, moving along.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:30 am 

Don't know what the site was (mp3.com perhaps) but I found 7 free albums from Alexander Blu in zip files. Great music too. It's a cross between classic and electronic. I appreciate those that donate free music to the public because they enjoy making music more than making money. There was a couple other artist that do the same thing, one being Steller Drone, more space ambient type but beautiful and great for meditation.

Steller Drone says that he enjoys making the music and it is free to whatever purpose you need it for even if commercial. That's pretty nice of them to do that. I think I found those on Last FM. They also have their own site too. If my music was good enough I'd give it away too. Some say it's good but I know better. It is fun making it though so that's why I do it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:17 am 

Just ordered FL Studio Producer 11 after watching some videos on it. I have been using Music Maker but FL Studio is stepping up to big time in comparison. What I find fascinating however is that it has a lifetime update for free! What company does that? One of the videos said that they just updated many earlier versions for free for the past 15 years. So if I had purchased version 1 back the, I would still be updating to the latest version at no cost to me? Yikes, that's fantastic.

I watched a video where they took a voice alone and blurred it with a tool and now it sounds ethereal. I have read that it has a very high learning curve because it has so much in it and it's not for the faint of heart, haha. For that, perhaps they would be better off with Fruity Loops. That's the toned down version and rather inexpensive. But hey, it also has the lifetime update too. That means if they come out with new tools then you now get them free too. I still find that hard to believe but it does show that the company treats people right and perhaps that is why it is one of the best selling programs.

Has anyone used FL studio? It appears to have a very easy interface for putting together music and it does have 199 tracks now, up 100 from previous version. That's amazing to have that many tracks and you better have a good computer to use it. I do fortunately.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:05 pm 

Just an update on music stuff. I have since purchased a midi keyboard controller that comes with software. Arturia makes a pretty good one and the one I got was the keylab 49 (number of keys) and the software with it is Analoglab which has several hundred sounds from various classic instruments. It has a limited control over those sounds unless you own the virtual software instrument itself then you can modify the sounds of make your own.

Turns out that they came out with another package with those instruments which I now have. Consider if you own the actual hardware instrument, which like I said are classics and had limited ability but advanced for it's day, the new virtual versions have much more to offer now since they added many features to those instruments. One of course is the ability to actually save all of the settings as a patch.

Take for instance the Moog, it has patch cables so when you create a type of sound you only have that sound unless you change the cable connections and then you no longer have the one you had although you could re-patch it again if you wrote it down. But with the virtual one, you just save the settings and now it's available anytime you select it. Plus you can save unlimited patches this way.

Some of the classic instruments still are more than usable today, especially since they added features to upgrade it's ability with things such as stereo where it was strictly mono back then. Plus they also added features such as effects for echo, reverb, delay, etc. So they are basically upgraded instruments in a virtual state. You of course need a keyboard controller to use them but you can buy one for as cheap as $60 US. It may not have all the buttons and knobs as a more expensive one but you will still be able to control the virtual instrument with a mouse on the computer screen and play with the keyboard. However if you have a more expensive keyboard controller you can assign those knobs and buttons to your keyboard controller via midi. The one I have just so happens to already have those assignments made since it is part of a package.

Of the instruments included were such as the Prophet 5, (which there were two versions and they included both in one), Jupiter 8, The mini Moog, the very classic CS-80 owned by famous musicians such as Tangerine Dream, Depechi (not sure of spelling), Stevie Wonder, and many bands too many to list. 12 instruments included actually. The actual hardware was also very expensive in the thousands of dollars. (for that time period it was a lot)

These virtual instruments however are relatively inexpensive, some like $50 and there are others on the internet given away free and many more you can get as demo versions where you can must use some of the factory patches but you can't save a created patch if you make one or some only have the demo as a player version which is fine if you must need an instrument for your controller. You also have to have a program that uses VST type virtual instruments (which almost all music programs do) but there are many times a stand alone version of the the virtual instrument that you don't need any other program to play it except your keyboard controller and computer. That is the package I now have and these instruments in some cases are now 64bit. (higher quality sound)

They are making great technical strides these days with virtual instruments which still fascinate me of how they can create those awesome sounds in software alone. In the days of old, you needed a large heavy instrument to house all of the electronic components and some weighed over 100 lbs or a lot more and not very portable if at all. Now they can be on your laptop or a pad and now even on your cell phone. In fact, many patches are now being created on cell phones and pads. Something to do while on an airplane or train.

It's amazing when you consider one couldn't afford something like this in the past but through technology almost anyone can have access to great instrument sounds via keyboard and virtual instruments. In fact, you can even create your own in some software packages now. That's basically what instruments like the Moog offered in it's day but it was very limited in it's bulky size and inability to save your patch. Today you can use modules to piece together a virtual instrument and create unheard of sounds. Just listen to music of the day and you will hear sounds that sooth the soul that could not have been created 20 or 30 years ago.