Arwen's Realm

A Virtual Community
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:13 am

Welcome
Welcome to Arwen's Realm!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: About Star Citizen Development
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

I've been closely following Star Citizen since I first heard of it, back in early 2012. I actually started a thread here about it back then, but that was two years ago, so I felt it was time for a new thread [one under the game's title of Star Citizen].

From the very beginning, I really liked the concept, but I was concerned that this game was just too ambitious in scope and that it would never be able to deliver anything that was even close to what I was hoping for. But, the longer that I followed the game's development, the more my interest has grown, until I now feel like this game could turn out as amazing as it has been hyped. I've actually been a Star Citizen since October 2012, when I registered on their forums; but on Thursday I made my first Crowdfunding pledge EVER, so I am now a star Citizen Backer. [I purchased a small Ship Package and an Arena Commander Pass.] So I'm now actually playing the beta game; which currently just includes my Self-Land Hangar module and the Arena Commander module (where you can practice flying your ship in races and in combat). My ship is an Origin 315p Explorer, which is a single crew (me) vessel, set up for exploration.

According to Chris Roberts, the game's creator, Star Citizen is a PC Space Sim. And it is expected to be unlike any other game that has every been released. It is a combination Spaceship Combat Flightsim, Role Playing Game, trading game, First Person Shooter, plus a whole lot more. Star Citizen is actually two separate games . . . "Squadron 42," which is a single-player, Wing Commander style campaign (with some optional co-op game play); and "Star Citizen," which is the multi-player persistent universe online game, which is populated by both real players and NPCs. You create your character, like other RPGs, but you NEVER level up ... your ship(s) level up, as you upgrade them (or replace them with better ones), and the game includes perma death, where your assets go to your beneficiary (your new character), plus your non-fatal injuries are also persistent (you might get combat scars, bionic limbs, etc.). And you can pretty much take any path that you want (and switch at any time). You can be a pirate, a bounty hunter, an explorer, a merchant . . . just about anything. Plus there are player Groups (which are like Guilds) and Corporations that you can join (or create).

I've never been interested in multi-player games ... mainly because they seem to get out of control and because they originally relied on text communication (I was a beta tester for Sims Online), while you were playing the game (and I cannot do much else when I'm trying to write out anything) ... but my current headset (which I've had for like a year) includes a decent microphone, so I figured it's time that I give multiplayer a try again. So this is going to be a pretty new direction for me. I haven't yet gotten up the courage to try multi-player in Arena Commander yet, but I'm working on it. Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to fly my ship! (Space ships sure are different than flying a little Cessna ... and I'm not use to getting shot at).

Star Citizen Website (Robert's Space Industries)

Updated Nov 19, 2014:
My Star Citizen Journal is the newest section of my website, and it is also now my site's main focus. I've add a bunch there over the past few weeks, and plan on updating it at least once a week (as there is no shortage of thing to cover about this huge game).

Here's a screenshot of my generic character and my newly updated Origin 315p Explorer in my hangar (character creation is not yet in the beta; but I do get to change into a leather jacket): Arwen's Origin 315p Explorer

Arwen's Star Citizen Journal

Post subject: Re: Star Citizen
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:47 am 

Yes, I bought a package myself six months ago, although I have not had time to actually use my Beta account for more than just looking around a bit.

I ran across the game when you posted information about it a couple years ago, and have been on their mailing list since that point, but was hesitant to actually invest in the game, since the last thing I have time for is another MMO, but I was most certainly a fan of the Wing Commander and Privateer series (and my ship is a Freelancer, which was a game based on Privateer with a similar goal, so I assume the name was used because of that) and I played Earth and Beyond (an Electronic Arts game published in 2002 and shut down two years later) with a great deal of pleasure, so I decided in the spring that I owed the legacy at least some investment.

Star Citizen has PvP though, which in my experience has been a recipe for a poorly written game, as PvP is essentially a contest to see who can exploit the most game mechanics the fastest, which probably was my largest reservation holding me back from investing in the Kickstarter six months earlier, so I cannot say how much I will play past their publication date, but I expect I will certainly give the game a shot, as I am invested both in time and money in their success, even if my concerns on the forums over the integration of PvP into the game never seem to get a sentient reply from other players or a reply of any sort from the designers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

I've never liked multi-player games for those reasons. I was a beta tester for The Guild (the original one) and I lost interest in that game because of the way the game was exploited. My negative feelings about multi-player online games was one of the main reasons that I waited so long before I finally decided to become a Star Citizen Backer. I'm still concerned, but I have more faith now that this might actually be handled in a way that will minimize my biggest concerns. For instance, there is ingame policing, where you can get a bounty on your head for negative acts. And there is persistent death, where dying in the game should have a greater consequence.

There's also going to be custom server options (were the game will be able to be modded).

Right now I'm along for the ride, and very hopeful about the progress and the plans for the next year or so that I have been closely following in the past few weeks.

So am I understanding that you have not yet tried the Arena Commander module?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:44 pm 

Arwen wrote:
So am I understanding that you have not yet tried the Arena Commander module?

No, I have barely even logged in to look around, and am very behind on reading up on what is new over the last five months. It seemed I had barely decided to invest in the game before spring hit and life became busy, and with my Dad's recent heart attack (a mild one, but there are no minor heart attacks) I have been driving the two hours to my parents' home fairly regularly to help out with Autumn chores, which has cut down on my gaming fairly substantially, although I have been trying to at least keep up with the one online game I do regularly play, even if I am not expecting to make any progress in it for a bit yet.

Perhaps knowing somebody on this forum is also in the Beta might spur me to try Arena Commander, just because it would give me somebody to compare impressions of the game with. The ship I own is . . . . not perhaps the best for fighting in though, since without upgrades not currently available, it is a bit slow to turn and rather low on maneuverability , at least in the two or so hours flight time I have logged so far.

Addenda: Upon researching the Arena Commander module, it seems I would have to buy it separately, which I have not done, and I would not be flying my own ship, so it might not be as difficult to manage as I was expecting, as the available ships seem to be fighters. Still, I have not picked it up, so any experiences I have with it are second hand for the next few days at least.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Xerius, I can certainly relate to being busy (seems like I'm always playing catch up), and I hope that your Dad's health improves.

The package that I bought was the Origin 315p Explorer (one of the lower cost packages) and it includes the full version of both games, but did not include the Arena Commander Module. I paid an additional $5 for an Arena Commander Pass (which seemed reasonable), so that I could at try out flight (and get some experience before the game is released). I get a 'loaner' ship for AC ... an Origin 300i (which is the base ship in the 300 series), so it is much the same as the ship I own. [The seem to give you access to one of the 5 AC ships that is closest to your package ship.]

Last night was Citizen Con, to celebrate their second anniversary, and they gave us all access to all the current Arena Commander flyable ships for the next week: "All backers now have the ability to fly the Aurora, 300i, Hornet, M50, and the 350R." So I get to play around with some of the other ships for a bit. After flying the Aurora, I'm very glad that I decided to upgrade to the 315p, which is like a sports car compared to a pickup truck.

Yes, it would be great to be able to discuss this game with another Backer. :) I initially also wanted the Freelancer, but it was a bit more than my budget could handle right now, so I'll have to wait until I can purchase one in the final game with UECs (game money).

Oh, I forgot to mention that Squadron 42 (the single player game) is suppose to be released in 2015 (at least the first chapter) ... I'm guessing this will be a playable beta version and that the full version will come out sometime in 2016.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:06 am 

That 315P has some decent detail. I'll be following this thread to see how it develops.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:33 am 
Site Admin

Hey Utlo,

The amount of detail, and the attention to details, that I'm seeing in Star Citizen is amazing. My screenshot doesn't do my 315 p justice . . . the 300 series ships have 178,203 polygons (not including their weapons). Star Citizen is a PC only game, and it is pushing the boundaries of what current PCs can handle. [I'm fortunate that I now own a PC that can run it's graphics on max, but the game play currently takes place in very small maps, so I may want to upgrade my system a bit by the time the final game is released).

Right now they are well into the process of converting their highly modified version of the Cry-engine from 32 to 64 bits, which is necessary for their huge game universe (at release, they plan on having 100 star systems in their sandbox).

One of the biggest draws for me is that this is a PC only game, and that it being totally funded by users (initially through Kickstarter, and now through their own crowdfunding). I love that there is no publisher controlling this game's content or forcing it to be released before it is ready. It is also cool that hundreds of thousands of users are beta testing each module and giving feedback directly to the developer team.

I'll be posting some additional screenshot soon, and will try to include some close up shots.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:48 am 

My brother is a backer and was always enthusiastic about the game. I also thought once of backing but got overwhelmed by the Website - or rather was not patient enough. It is still confusing for me what the different ship packes and modules are, what you get with this and that...and what not, which might be more important.

And then about the same time i backed Elite Dangerous and sticked to that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:48 am 
Site Admin

I've been following both Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous for quite a while. Since ED is coming out fairly soon, I figured that backing it at this point wouldn't be all that beneficial for me. I enjoy following development (and adding my voice), and that's going to continue for until at least 2016 with SC. I may buy ED once it is released (depending on its reviews) or I might just stick with only SC, if there's enough to do in its beta at that point.

SC just seems like a better fit for me. This is just my opinion, but my gut feeling is that it will have a bit deeper game play, with more freedom.

What a lot of people don't understand is that the the more expensive Ship Packages available for Star Citizen are mostly just a perk for users who want to (and can) give more financial support to the game's development. You will actually be able to purchase (or find, or steal) most of these exact same ships in the game (with game money, that you get from playing the game). Purchasing a better ship (or several ships) now will just give you more of a head start when the game is released. So, yes, there are some advantages, as those who start out with just one entry-level type ship are going to have to work harder in the final game until they catch up with users who began the game with a number of better ships. But that's fine with me ... as it adds makes the game more challenging. You can also join up with an organized group, and work together, and another way in which to advance faster (than going it totally alone). I still haven't decided which route I'll pick ... I tend to prefer playing most RPGs as a loner, but it might be nice to be part of a small group.

The modules are just the way that Star Citizen is being made, in the released game all these beta modules will be included (and be better integrated into the full game). Currently the only modules are the Hangar module and the Arena Commander (to test out some of the ships in dog fighting space combat and on space race courses).

Either way it's great that we have both of these games to look forward to. You should make an Elite Dangerous thread, and post your impressions (if you are allowed to share anything as a beta tester/backer).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:43 pm 

Hi Arwen, not too sure about Star Citizen going to be more open or personal but since neither game is complete time will tell. My son played the original Elite many years ago and loved it so he naturally couldn't wait for it to come out in modern times and is of course one of the backers. He has the lifetime updates package and is playing it. He plays it in a mode that he doesn't interact with other live players although what they do can impact your game and of course what he does impacts their Universe as well. The main feature he has always liked about the game is that you could go anyplace within the galaxy if you could reach it. It was pure survival to continue out there where no one has been before.

This will be the way it is being set up as well and at present I believe they presently have over 300 star systems in place and they are based on actual galaxy maps and star systems for those that astronomers have actually plotted. That is a large undertaking when you consider how many stars are in our galaxy. Apparaently it is intended to be an ongoing project to keep adding to the game and updating features.

I've watched videos of both and they both look pretty good but Elite does go the extra mile to make their suns look so realistic complete with solar flares. Apparently their space ports are in real time and everything you see works in it with no back drop props. In other words if you see a building in the distance, it is an actual 3D building that could be entered. It kind of looks like SC is heading in that direction as well but that is a large city they are displaying, that would really bog down an outdated system or even some of the newer computer systems. I don't know the resolution of the Star Citizen world but Elite is using ultra HD for those that can run it. I've seen some pictures he has taken, wow!

But like any game, pretty isn't what makes the game, it's always game play so that remains to be seen for both of those games as of yet. And I'm sure there is a pretty high learning curve that will be required as well to get full advantage of the game. I like the idea of the practice area to get the hang of the controls. That will take lots of practice to be really good at surviving some of the in game battles. But Elite does have pretty much no combat in the safe zones where you can do trading and such, at least on protected routes. That's not to say you couldn't run into a rouge ship.

I appreciate your feedback as to the playability of the game and your opinion of it as far as playability and realism. I hope it turns out to be a winner.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:40 am 

I did play ED at the beginning of Beta for some time, but stopped then. I want to wait and play the finished game later on. But i will post my experience in a separate post...

Utlo, your summary is excellent and kind of touches the heart of ED! But i am quite sure i will end up also buying Star Citizen...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:29 am 

Bit of a surprise when I tried to patch the program and it downloaded first a 40 Mb file, patched that, then did an 80 Mb file, patched that, and started on a 10 Gb file, which has been patching for the last twenty four hours and claims it has seven hours to go.

Says it has one more patch to download, so if it is doing it in order of size, hate to see what the next one will be.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:18 pm 

Wow, how big was the original install? That's a whopper for a patch unless they are adding a ton of new material. I pity anyone that has this game that has dial up!!! Games of this size, as I'm sure there will be a lot of content eventually, should always be sold by disc so buyer beware when signing up for games that include so much data. Usually in the Alpha stages the size of the game is very limited and textures may be small compared to the finished product so downloads will usually be much smaller.

So, when you get the final download, if it doesn't error out on you that is, just how much new content did it add? By the way, what is your bandwidth speed? I only have 12 mbs myself but I find that it's not always the bandwidth that causes slow downloads as it all depends on the server that is streaming it and if it is busy, it may be best to attempt a download at a different hour or a day or so later since everyone that logs on will have to download as well. I'm sure you know all of that however but maybe someone else reading this hadn't thought of that.

Please post the results as to how much new stuff they added.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure that 10GB "patch" part is the Full data for the Hangar module (which includes your ship) and the Arena Commander module.

Yes, if you download the patch/install during non-peak hours (based on USA time, when there are fewer users streaming data), the download happens MUCH faster.

The developer is going to be adding a much larger server system before the game is released, so that should help a bunch. Anyone on dial up would never be able to run the online version of the game. Star Citizen is going to continue to be developed long after the game's release, so you are going to have fairly regular updates with large amounts of data.

It is getting harder and harder to find new boxed games, as more and more developers/publishers are moving to digital download only. Even Prepar3D is only available as a download (its over 11GB) and all my Orbx scenery files combined (which are mostly only available as downloads) add up to over 84 GB.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:33 pm 

Utlo wrote:
Wow, how big was the original install?
So, when you get the final download, if it doesn't error out on you that is, just how much new content did it add? By the way, what is your bandwidth speed?

The full game as it stands will likely be around the 20 Gb mark, and I am getting download speeds of about 180 KB/s, which is fairly normal for me. I am on a Cable internet connection though, so the original download was supposed to be around 27 hours, but with people using the internet and TV in the area last night, my download speeds were down to 20 KB/s, and as a result, the patcher says I have four hours to go now.

I live in the wrong part of the city unfortunately. My ISP sent me a letter spring of 2013 saying that fibreoptic was being put into the residential areas of the city from 2012 to 2014 and that my area would be done summer of 2013, at which point my connection speeds would improve by five times. It sounded good, but by mid summer 2014, I had heard nothing, so I went looking for information.

Fibreoptic went into the oldest parts of the city first, since they already needed upgrades, so it was logical to put in fibreoptic instead of repairing their current lines, then replacing them a year or two later. New construction (and there is a lot, as I live in the fastest growing city in Canada) got their fibreoptic next, since it was logical to put it in as part of the original lines instead of putting in normal lines, then digging them up and putting in fibre a year later.

The 'newer' parts of the city get their fibre last, and that means me, as my house was built in 1984. The complaints are rather widespread about it, but we have decent lines already, so we are not in category one and there is no room for new construction around here, so we are not in category two, and that mean we wait. I am being told that the process to put the fibre lines in was slower than expected, and that I will get my fibre no sooner than summer 2015 and for certain by the end of 2017.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:56 pm 

Yes 180 is reasonable indeed for most things. I have Century Link and they keep sending me ads to move up to 40 mbs but I usually don't need that. Like we know, it all depends on how busy a server is. I have downloaded many files that were in the Gig range and it doesn't take long at all normally unless it's You Tube which is heavy use and I find that downloading files that are 240 or 360 take a lot longer than 1080 even. That's probably because there is still a lot of slower bandwidths being used and they stream it in pulses anyway so it can take a lot longer for the servers that have the lower resolution files.

Oddly, I have copper phone lines and Century Link knows where I live since I got the 12 mbs from them so how are they able to now offer 40 mbs with copper lines? Makes you wonder how much is false information designed to fit the situation. I know in some countries they have 100 mbs or more but then maybe their servers aren't as busy either so they can do that. I'm sure that it's based on how fast a server can upload information to us as to what speeds we get and if an ISP doesn't have many servers then they may not offer faster speeds since they have to pulse information to all of their clients in a reasonable time and don't want to have a large lag time. I'm not real knowledgeable on how the servers work other than of my own system but it's only logical it follows pretty much the same idea. More people slower speeds so you need either more servers or restrict speeds.

There are servers where I worked and they would slow down during the day when everyone was using them. In fact they got so slow that they had to threaten employees that they were monitoring them and their computer use on the internet and would be reprimanded if they were caught surfing on non business work. So employees took it to heart and were even afraid to go on the internet for anything, including business. I on the other hand had to do research on things so I had no choice but I didn't worry about it if they expected me to do my job then it was their problem not mine. Point being that heavy usage bogs things down.

So, maybe you know, why exactly is it that uploading is restricted to slower speeds while downloading is so much faster?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:26 pm 

Utlo wrote:
So, maybe you know, why exactly is it that uploading is restricted to slower speeds while downloading is so much faster?

It is done for the simplest reason of all, pure economics.

The lines used work both directions equally well, and some ISP's do feature symmetrical communication, where upload and download speeds are identical, but most people download a great deal more than they upload, so the ISP takes advantage of that to save some money. By reducing upload speeds they still allow unrestricted communication in the most commonly used areas, while still allowing server hardware to be minimized as much as possible with the lessened need for fast upload speeds.

As far as the speed on copper wires are concerned, early internet communication was fairly conservative. Nobody wanted to push things right to the limits, since that would cause problems at peak traffic loads, so the internet of the early 1990's used equipment that could handle higher speeds, even if the techs of the day did not realize it. With modern techniques and better research, companies can raise the speed limit on copper wire traffic quite a bit, although some of the higher speeds is also due to better data compression techniques.

My own ISP allows me downloads of 1.5 to 5 Mbps and uploads of 128 to 640 Kbps, although that is only achieved within the country, as the American trunklines are fairly primitive. With fibreoptic, those numbers will increase to 8 Mbps (no variance) and 2 Mbps (again, a fixed number). The expensive fibre plan gives 50 Mbps and 10 Mbps, which is fairly well within European numbers, as Europe has a fairly robust internet system (smaller countries and better technology than is used in non-trunkline communication in N America).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:22 am 

Thanks for that Xerius. Good to know. Like everything else, it's always about the money. ha ha.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Xerius wrote:
...Star Citizen has PvP though, which in my experience has been a recipe for a poorly written game, as PvP is essentially a contest to see who can exploit the most game mechanics the fastest, which probably was my largest reservation holding me back from investing in the Kickstarter six months earlier, so I cannot say how much I will play past their publication date, but I expect I will certainly give the game a shot, as I am invested both in time and money in their success, even if my concerns on the forums over the integration of PvP into the game never seem to get a sentient reply from other players or a reply of any sort from the designers.

I've recently learned more about how the PvP part is being designed in a why that should make it much more difficult to exploit the game. In today's 10 For the Chairman - Episode 42, Chris Roberts stated that "the player base is only ever going to make up at most 10% of the population of any given place, and what's happening in the economy etc., so in terms of being able to dramatically affect an area or economy, it's going to be pretty hard." He also says, "because we have such high fidelity, we can't have too many people in one particular instance [snip], even with a best case scenario at the moment of 50-100 players, there are only so many people that can be crammed into one instance." Plus matchmaking will limit a group, like an Organization, to a maximum percentage of any battle instance. And there is a PvP slider option, which if set to the minimum, will further reduce PvP encounters.

There's also an old (Nov 2012), but interesting article that I found: Chris Roberts on Multiplayer, Single Player, and Instancing.

My hope is that this mixture of NPCs and player controlled characters will make the game feel much more realistic, than if it was just a single player game. Of course, we cannot know how well this will end up working until the game is released. Even Chris Roberts admits that all his efforts to prevent the PvP problems that plague other MMOs may not work as well as he hopes. But I'm encouraged to see that he seems to be trying his best to fix this issue.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:32 pm 

One of the reasons I won't play DayZ, who needs zombies to deal with when players kill you faster and no one trust anyone. I've seen streaming games people post and someone will come and claim to be a friendly and next thing you know you were shot in the back. Not my kind of game at all.

As far as exploiting the game, in the one I play they have a No Cheat mode to prevent exploitation. That's not accounting for possible lags though as they can't control that if it's due to your ISP or a slow machine. Besides that, there is no accounting for your own friends shooting you just because they can and get bored. The best scenario is when everyone has a common enemy that you have to help each other to survive. At least that has been my experience.

There is a game I saw on line that is a constant battle between one color and another but I'm not into constant battles but at least in that one, each color would fight along side of each other to survive or fall. I'd love to play a space game just for the fun of exploration but most are not designed that way. At least from what I've seen so far, when pirates attack in Elite, you can just our run them but perhaps that is because it's NPC pirates?? And like I said, you can play in the mode that does not include real people. Hopefully one of the space games out there will turn out to be one I would like to play.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

It will be a while yet until anyone knows how well Star Citizen's persistent universe design works, but I'm really glad to see that the SC Team are working to prevent exploitation.

We're suppose to get an update to Arena Commander module by the end of this week, which I'm hoping will improve ship movement and targeting (by improving the joystick control profiles). I've been able to survive longer in the drone attacks (against the AI), but my targeting is still not working as well as it should be, so I'm hoping this update will improve this.

What I'm really looking forward to is being able to try out the first chapter in Squadron 42 in the not-to-distant future.

I've been putting a lot of work into my Star Citizen Journal this week, so there's actually a bit of (hopefully) useful information there now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:46 am 

Read your site and what I see is between this game and Elite, both are very much doing the same kinds of things and rules even. But that's good because competition will drive the games for better content. It looks like it will be around for some time as well. Good site you made.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:49 am 

Thanks Arwen for your excellent Site about Star Citizen..that also cleared up most of my confusion about the game! I am really tempted to jump on the wagon now...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:18 pm 

Xerius, how long did it take to download that 10 gig update? I was wondering if a download accelerator would be usable since it is an update? Those work pretty good and I have used them in the past but haven't put one back on this computer now. I was downloading some sound files that were up to 3 gig and was taking over an hour because of the server being busy. Well there were several files there to download and some smaller but averaged in the gig range so I just checked and tried to download more than one file at the same time and found that I could download several all at the same time at about the same speed. Too bad updates aren't like that but an accelerator does piece them back together by splitting the downloads.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:02 pm 

In the end, it took a full day and a night to download. Originally, it was supposed to take twenty four hours, but the download speed cut down to a tenth of normal for six hours the first evening, which increased the total download time markedly. I would say it ended up around thirty six hours, plus or minus a couple, as I do not recall precisely when I started the download.

On the plus side, it was not an intrusive download. I have gotten games from Steam where the computer was unuseable for any other purpose during the download period, but this one did not make web pages noticeably slower to load and the one online game I played during that duration did not slow down at all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

JBuford wrote:
Thanks Arwen for your excellent Site about Star Citizen..that also cleared up most of my confusion about the game! I am really tempted to jump on the wagon now...

You're most welcome . . . I'm glad that you found my site to be helpful. :)
I've been steadily expanding it over the past week, so the site now has a lot more information. I'm currently working on the Game Lore, and that is going a bit slower, because that info is spread over a number of different official narratives. There's literally an entire book's worth of lore, all combined . . . which I'm trying to condense into a small outline, that covers the biggest events of the historical timeline.

Also please let me know if there's anything about Star Citizen that is not clear (on both my site and the RSI site), as I'm planning on putting together a small FAQ.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:20 pm 

Arwen, great job on your web site, looks really well laid out. I'm guessing that RSI is over joyed with the 59 mega big ones. They should be able to keep working on the game for some time to come since it's not even completed yet and most people will wait until it is. The majority of people don't have that much free time to spend testing it out I would expect and from what I see on many videos is people that do test games out play several games in Alpha testing format.

It looks like this game might be a long play type and will be around for several years kind of like World of Warcraft. That's been around a very long time, just like Minecraft. Not everyone is hyped over space games but there are a lot more that do like them today than just a few years ago. I think the younger generation is more into what's off the planet today and one other big factor is it's still unexplored by us while where can you go on the earth to explore that you don't find a plastic bottle? The game is probably a good investment and will offer lots of interesting things especially if they keep adding content.

I'll be following you journal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:59 pm 

So i bought the Package (including Arena access) for $45 which was kind of a bargain as i payed it in Euros...i finally got the feeling as i can afford it right now, i will support both ED and Star Citizen. I will post my impressions here...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:05 pm 

I have also purchased a package for Star Citizen. Have you joined a guild ??

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Deciding on a group was hard. I received quite a few invitations, but I wasn't even sure that I wanted to join an Organization, because I was planning on playing as a lone explorer/mercenary type character. But the more I learned more about how the PU is going to work, the more I realized that I would likely need some help at times. Plus I do like the idea of being part of a team where teammates look after each other. But it was still difficult to pick an Organization.

I had pretty much decided to join the Gold Wing Squadron, since it is small and unique (you have to be one of the early members who received a Golden Ticket from Chis Roberts). But then I receive an invitation to join Apex Continuum, and I really like what I read on their Organization page. What won me over was the fact that even though I have years of gaming and flightsim experience, Star Citizen will be my first MMO game. And I felt like Apex Continuum was better set up to help me catch up in that area. [Plus Continuum is one of my favorite series.]

This afternoon I took part in my first TeamSpeak meeting with some of the group, and they seem like a great bunch of guys. I also discovered that there are only 2 other females in Apex so far . . . I was hoping that perhaps 10% or even 5% of their members would be female, but I guess this is normal for online games. The important part is that they are willing to help me get up to speed with playing as part of an online group; and that is what I really need the most.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:14 pm 

Sounds interesting and I'm glad you found a group to join and in this case it seems like a benefit. I too like Continuum series but since I don't have cable or dish I have to wait each year until the DVDs come out. It's that way with many of the good series. But since I'm on a fixed income I have to make choices as to where to spend money and I like have a wee bit to spend for things as I need them. So I don't have things that many do because they are all looking for piece of one's income.

My son was telling me that Sometime near the end of December Elite will be for sale to the public so they must have a big team working on it. Reason I say that is Elite involve our entire galaxy and the sky that we see will be what it will look like from earth. So I guess one could go see their favorite star system up close and personal.

I'm hoping that One Man's sky will be moving along faster as well but only time will tell on that one. So Star Citizen is at least a sure thing and maybe they will be moving up the time table since so many people have joined in already. Appreciate your updates Arwen, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:40 pm 

After some study, it seems my Freelancer is going to be a solid ship for most purposes, but it is most certainly not going to get me into some of the more unpleasant areas of the galaxy, so I have added an Aegis Redeemer gunship to my hanger.

It will not carry the cargo of my main ship, but I suspect it will serve to carry small amounts of cargo to some of the more interesting parts of known space. I had looked at a 325a for that purpose, since it is a single man ship and the Redeemer is not, but the 325a does not seem to carry any cargo to speak of, and I see my role as more of a privateer than a dedicated fighter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:16 pm 

I have joined the Apex Continuum which is different for me. I usually play just with my sons when gaming. Do not like to do PVP. I like a friendly gaming experince which having fun is the main goal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:14 pm 

The Origin 315p has been added to Arena Commander as a flyable ship (unless it was added earlier and I just got the email late), so Arwen is going to be able to play with her own ship for a bit.

So far, Arena Commander has not run for me. I start it, the screen resolution goes so large I cannot see three quarters of the screen display, which does not allow me to continue on to choose a ship to fly. I am playing with resolutions (I have been playing in 1920 x 1080) to see if a lower res will prevent that from happening, but no luck so far.

I cannot find anybody in the forums who is having similar issues, so something about my current build is making the game unhappy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

Utlo wrote:
Sounds interesting and I'm glad you found a group to join and in this case it seems like a benefit. I too like Continuum series but since I don't have cable or dish I have to wait each year until the DVDs come out. It's that way with many of the good series. But since I'm on a fixed income I have to make choices as to where to spend money and I like have a wee bit to spend for things as I need them. So I don't have things that many do because they are all looking for piece of one's income.

I know very well what it is like to have to live on a small budget. The only reason that I'm able to afford more than the basic needs is that I inherited half of the house that I live in (without any mortgage), after my brother died (he designed and built this house), and I share expenses with my best friend. And my home is very energy efficient, so our heating cost are pretty low (even though I live in a very cold climate). But I still have to pick carefully what I can spend money on, as my medical expenses tend to eat up most of my cash. The past few years have been much better for me, as my medical issues have decreased considerably, so for the first time in my life, I actually have a bit on money left over each month. It isn't all that much, and most of it goes into my bank account, for when I'll need to pay unexpected bills again, but it is nice to be able to afford a new game when (or before it is being released), instead of having to wait until it is finally reduced by 75%.

Quote:
My son was telling me that Sometime near the end of December Elite will be for sale to the public so they must have a big team working on it. Reason I say that is Elite involve our entire galaxy and the sky that we see will be what it will look like from earth. So I guess one could go see their favorite star system up close and personal.
I'm hoping that One Man's sky will be moving along faster as well but only time will tell on that one. So Star Citizen is at least a sure thing and maybe they will be moving up the time table since so many people have joined in already. Appreciate your updates Arwen, thanks.

You're most welcome. I recently became an Elite beta tester as well, and from what I've seen, these two games are VERY different. Elite is probably going to be a good game, but right now the beta is very limited in what you can do. It's going to include way more star systems than Star Citizen, but the scope of Star Citizen is way beyond what I have seen in Elite. I'm not knocking Elite, as I think it is going to be a very popular game, and I'm hoping that I really enjoy the final product. My point is that Star Citizen is taking so much more time to develop simply because it is a much more complex game . . . which includes Squadron 42, a single player campaign that is (all by itself) as large as most other games . . . and that is before you even enter the multi-player, persistent universe part of Star Citizen (which is a much larger part of the game). We've very fortunate that we have two such great space sims which will be coming out in the relatively near future. [Elite will be released on Dec 16th, but it will not include a lot of features until after release; and Star Citizen won't be released until sometime in 2016, and it is planned to continue to expand for years after the launch (without any DLC to buy, or any monthly fees).]

Edited: Added a link to the following video, that does a pretty good job of explaining the differences between these two games: Star Citizen vs Elite: Dangerous - Complete Breakdown

Post subject: Star Citizen Admirer's Manual v2.3
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:00 am 

Wish I had run into this before buying ships, since it covers almost literally every aspect one might be curious about.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.c ... ar-citizen

A most impressive work in progress.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry guys, I'm not keeping up with the replies, as I've been reorganizing this site a bit. I felt like Star Citizen should have its own forum, as the interest in this game has increased so much here recently, and several of our members are backers of this game. Plus we will soon want to branch off from this general thread into more specific threads to better discuss various aspects of this game, and that is much easier to keep organized when the game has its own dedicated forum. I'm loving all the interests here in Star Citizen, so post away! I'll do my best to keep up.

Xerius wrote:
After some study, it seems my Freelancer is going to be a solid ship for most purposes, but it is most certainly not going to get me into some of the more unpleasant areas of the galaxy, so I have added an Aegis Redeemer gunship to my hanger.

It will not carry the cargo of my main ship, but I suspect it will serve to carry small amounts of cargo to some of the more interesting parts of known space. I had looked at a 325a for that purpose, since it is a single man ship and the Redeemer is not, but the 325a does not seem to carry any cargo to speak of, and I see my role as more of a privateer than a dedicated fighter.

Congrats on getting an Aegis Redeemer . . . that looks like it is going to be a very interesting ship to fly and command. :)

It looks like I may have dodged what I expected would be another expensive medical procedure (at least for now) . . . so I'm thinking of celebrating by purchasing a Freelancer . . . probably the Freelancer DUR. There is going to be an week-long anniversary sale, starting on Friday (Nov 21), so I'm going to wait and see what other ships will be available. [Note: a Star Citizen 'sale' does not mean that the cost of their pledge packages are reduced in price . . . just that some new (or former) packages are available only while the sale is going on.]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

MajorMarv wrote:
I have joined the Apex Continuum which is different for me. I usually play just with my sons when gaming. Do not like to do PVP. I like a friendly gaming experince which having fun is the main goal.

Hey, welcome to Apex Continuum . . . now I'm no longer their newest member. :) I'll most definitely be seeing you in the 'Verse,' and perhaps talking with you on the Apex TeamSpeak events.

Yeah, the while PvP part sort of freaks me out. I download and tried to play the free-to-play version of PlanetSide 2 last week and totally hated it. I last about 1 minute before some player who I NEVER even see kills me. No fun at all! I'm really hoping that Star Citizen's Persistent Universe (the multiplayer part of the game) is nothing like THAT.

Post subject: Re: About Star Citizen Development
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

Xerius wrote:
The Origin 315p has been added to Arena Commander as a flyable ship (unless it was added earlier and I just got the email late), so Arwen is going to be able to play with her own ship for a bit.

So far, Arena Commander has not run for me. I start it, the screen resolution goes so large I cannot see three quarters of the screen display, which does not allow me to continue on to choose a ship to fly. I am playing with resolutions (I have been playing in 1920 x 1080) to see if a lower res will prevent that from happening, but no luck so far.

I cannot find anybody in the forums who is having similar issues, so something about my current build is making the game unhappy.

Yes, my 315p just became flyable with the latest Arena Commander patch, on Nov 14th, so I can now fly my ship or the 300i. My 315p has only the secondary wing guns (Omnisky VI Laser), with no nose gun (as that hardpoint is used by the Sure Grip Tractor), but it does have a larger engine. So it is a bit more challenging as a fighter . . . but I'm still doing pretty well in drone combat sessions. Here's a screenshot that I took during my first combat session with my 315p: Flying my updated Origin 315p in Arena Commander

I haven't heard of your issue with the AC menu not being rendered completely. I did spend some time searching for it, but came up empty. This may be a dumb question, but are you using the Fullscreen option? I hope you can get this working soon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:05 pm 

Arwen wrote:
Xerius wrote:
I haven't heard of your issue with the AC menu not being rendered completely. I did spend some time searching for it, but came up empty. This may be a dumb question, but are you using the Fullscreen option? I hope you can get this working soon.

After the patch on Monday it has been working without issue, so I assume it was simply a conflict with the uncommon and overpowered video card I use. I tried to read the hardware forum for the last year's time and found nobody else admitting to using my video card, so I may be in for a few issues over the next few months. Part of the package I guess.

It has been long enough since I last played a space sim (I think Dark Star One was the most recent), so I am relearning the techniques of flying without gravity in the single player aspect of AC before inflicting myself upon the multiplayer one. The yoke I use for flight sims was just not workable for this game though, so I bought a baseline joystick, assuming that should the game be worth it, I can upgrade to a better one in a year or so.

That massive guide I posted a link to is taking awhile to absorb, but it has a huge amount of useful information, and I recommend at least skimming it for bits and pieces, since it essentially takes the posts of the last two years from the SC site and forum and boils them down into a workable guide to the game. I was reassured by the post on my new ship, as the SC site had removed the cargo bay from the ship, while the guide says it is still there. Unfortunately, seems the Aegis Redeemer has no jump drive, which I failed to notice when I bought it. Kind of hoping I can bolt one on later, as my intention for the ship was to use it for smaller cargos in less safe areas of the galaxy.

I have mostly recovered financially from my last medical procedure too, so the Redeemer was an early Christmas present.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:58 am 

Great Video link Arwen, thanks. I believe that the competitiveness between the two games can only make them both better in the long run and as you say, each has their features that may appeal to those that want those features. I do want to be able to get out of the ship and explore in a game so hopefully SC will have that feature which I'm not too sure Elite is going to offer that much detail outside the ship. Will have to wait and see I guess. And good to hear that you are perhaps able to bypass the medical experience that I'm sure you were not looking forward to. May you continue to not need it!

Another great link is the SC guide, or SCAM, thanks Xerius, good find. Being on pdf helps too as I can put it on my Nook and read it at leisure. It's about the size of a small book too! I'm used to large or very large books so this is a break and should be very informative. I agree that most Alpha games give practically no information as to what is what in the game and most of the time it's experimenting to see what you can do but there can be features in the game that you don't think to try.

As a side note, Elite just released a large update which I will be seeing at my son's if I can get out this weekend and the snow melts some. They don't clear streets around here and it's been too cold for what they put down to melt the ice and snow. It's supposed to warm up a little up to Thanksgiving before it returns back to the really low cold nights. Warming up in this case is reaching freezing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:12 pm 

Will it be ok if I friend you in Apex Continuum ? Always like to ask first. The web site apex continuum has a learning curve to it. Your site is very professional. I have enjoy your imput and journals for years. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks!

When I was trying to decide whether or not to make a pledge to support the game, I had a ton of questions about Star Citizen that I had a really hard time search for the answers for. Once I finally found the answers to my most pressing questions, I was totally ready to become a Backer. Star Citizen has the most transparent development of any game that I have ever followed, but the shear volume of information that has been released makes it VERY difficult for anyone who just learns about this game to figure out what Star Citizen is all about. The whole reason that I decided to make my Star Citizen Journal was because I saw the need to have the most important information about this game on a single webpage . . . hopefully one that is easy to follow. It's been tough to wade through all the mountains of info to pull out the most important facts, so I'm very glad to hear that someone like you is finding it useful.

You can most definitely 'friend me' ins Apex Continuum. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:44 pm 

Still trying to climb the learning curve here on the specifics of the game, and the climb is getting steeper, since now that I (hopefully) have the basics down, I am trying to learn some of the more esoteric areas, which are mostly hidden in the forum discussions. Unfortunately, there is so much rampant whimpering on the forums (some unhappy with present ship development, others afraid that RSI concentrating on development in one area will reduce the speed of development in other areas) that it takes a lot of wading through non-productive content to get at the answers to questions.

I have approached the organization The Older Gamers, as they seem to be a bit more laid back about computer games than a lot of the other organizations out there, and there is nothing on their website about pvp, which makes them an attractive option. As they require all members to be over twenty five years of age, one hopes that will encourage a better level of discussion, although I have not made any commitments to join them until I have had a chance to talk to their membership a couple times.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

Well, you could ask your questions here, where some of us might have some of the answers.

I've been following Star Citizen pretty closely for more than 2 years now, and a lot of the original information about specific parts of the game is now very hard to find, as you have to dig through all the new stuff. Plus some things have changed a bit over time, either due to having more funds than they originally planned on (making it possible to expand some things), or due to technology improvements. Then there's the fact that much of the official website is still focused primarily on raising more revenue to fund the game. [I think they just hit $65 million, and they need at least $100 million.] I'm hoping for the focus to shift from mainly fund raising to mainly beta testing within the next year, as they reach their funding goal.

You also have to understands that some things haven't yet made it past the planning stages, so there may not be any conclusive answers for many of the planned features yet. For example, the Persistent Universe cannot even be tested until the developer finishes converting the CryEngine to 64-bit double precision (necessary to render solar system sized maps, and for long distance calculations). But other parts have been tested already, like being able to run a smaller physics world within a larger one (which permits you to walk around in a starship, while it is traveling through space at hundreds of meters per second).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:17 am 

Arwen wrote:
Well, you could ask your questions here, where some of us might have some of the answers.

Kind of where the problem rises though, since by digging for answers to questions I am asking, I find answers to questions I have not thought to ask yet. As well, in spite of the rather common yowling you get on any game forum from people who have been there since the beginning who dislike some facet of development, you can chart trends just by seeing what concerns are raised frequently, and how they are spoken of by the people posting.

If a matter is addressed with a lot of redacted profanity and personal attacks, one can generally assume it is not a large issue, as it appears to be more of an emotional issue than one which has any real data backing it up, and as such I can ignore certain areas as unimportant, while should I find an issue discussed with one side giving data and the other side personal attacks, I can generally see which side is stronger.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:12 am 

This is so true with many games. Even the one I have early access to there is always those that complain and threaten if it is left that way they will quit the game and such. And it's still in Alpha for crying out loud. Some people feel just because they paid early that it gives them the right to dictate how the game should be made and have no clue as to what the developers had in mind. You'd think the game was being made for them alone for their early access.

From what I've seen of Star Citizen they have some good ideas but what most people forget in game making is how hard it is to satisfy everyone with a balanced game that will contain something for everyone. One of their goals is to have cities or ports that you can interact with and explore which I think is a great achievement for a game that is primarily space oriented.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:04 am 
Site Admin

In Star Citizen the "entitled mentality" for some backers is as bad as I've ever seen. The ones who have spent thousands of dollars (literally!) in purchasing the most expensive ships (like the large Capital ships), seem to feel that they have the right to dictate how the game is developed. Just try to disagree with a "High Admiral" backer in the forums . . . and get ready for some indignant rage.

Plus, a large percentage of the new/younger backers didn't even take the time to read enough about the game (on the official RSI site) to understand what this game is all about . . . all many see are the in-ship Arena Commander-type of combat. Try to discuss things like the consequences of something like perma-death on the forums and you'll get a LOT of WHAT???!!!, followed by comments that "this isn't why I backed this game . . . they should definitely remove that, because this is a space combat game, not a Role Playing Game!"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:51 am 

That is the major reason I stay away form posting on must forums. I am looking for a positve experince by exchanging ideas not getting or attacking anyone for their ideas. Hopefully Star Citizen will do the right thing for the game and make it a positive experince for the majority of gamers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:59 am 
Site Admin

I post on the forums because I feel that it is important to show that there are many of us who still support the original intent of Star Citizen, instead of CIG just seeing recent support (mainly from new backers) to change/dumb-down the game.

It is great that the game has expanded so much (due to the unexpected amount of crowd funding), but it would be a shame if all this additional backers result in making the game less hardcore (as in major game play consequences for your actions) than what was originally intended.

CIG has already given in to some of these demands. People complained that the 30 minute travel times to cross a system was too long, so it is now planned to only take 8 to 10 minutes. And some people are still complaining that 10 minutes is way too long!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:13 am 

Typical, I see it on the game I'm playing also, some want it easier and some want it harder but at least they have options you can turn on which may not work for an MMO. Making a game too easy and things like less time to travel can ruin the atmosphere of the game completely. I can understand not making it so hard that some players can't get anywhere in the game but then they should off set that with some easier routes you could take that would be easier, like protected corridors for travel and still allow for anyone to take their own path which could be a lot harder and more dangerous.

In 7 days to die, there are things in the game that the developers are not giving in to because only they know what the game is supposed to be when finished. No game I ever played satisfies everyone anyway. I doubt it ever will! Besides, that's why there are other games of the type so if they don't like it they can try one of those. Anyone that buys into an early access game doesn't know what the end product will be so it's a risk anyway. I'm still waiting for a boat in my game so I can make use of all the large lakes and rivers in the game. No one else has mentioned one so it may never get into the game which means I'll have to settle without a boat. So what, that's the price of early access and besides there are many other things in the game that make it great.

So I would hope that CIG sticks to their guns and don't give in to everyone's crying. I don't know how many times I have gotten a game and they there are those that complain the game is too easy after you play it for awhile. That's why I personally like procedural construction because you never know what you will find next. As long as the game play is good and not repetitious it should last.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:31 pm 

Arwen are you taking a break from Star Citizen ? Have not seen you at Apex Guild for awhile. Hope all is well with you. I have tried the Star Citizen Flight Tutorial and I am not very good at it but will keep trying to get better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:07 pm 

The wait is on going. Lots of Positive and Negative feed back to read about.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:08 pm 

Indeed, but the game is looking great. My connection is slow enough that I often cannot play for a couple days while I am downloading a patch (my ISP assures me though that they will have fibreoptic in my area by the end of 2014, even if their website is claiming 2017), so my play time in Star Citizen is a bit limited, but what I have been able to see impresses me.

There are glitches in the game and in the development I am not thrilled with, but no game has ever been completely perfect in everybody's eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:06 pm 

The update is taking me today 4.5 hours at my download speed. Check out Apex Continuum if you are looking for a guild with a group of good people.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:43 pm 

Still bugs are in control but a lot of good things happening.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:42 am 

The odd time I can play I am enjoying the changes, but my DSL is just too slow to handle a weekly 3 Gb patch. Fortunately, my ISP's website still says I will get fibre into my area of the city by the end of 2014, at which point I will have ten times my present download speed.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:23 am 

I missed this post last time I was here. I am curious about something. I watched some videos of people playing this game and I find it odd that such things go on such as people stealing your ship! One guy even went out to his ship and someone else was sitting at the controls then commenced to crash the ship into the space station. Then he respawned and called up his ship again and went out to it and someone was again trying to get into his ship so he shot him then went back in and heard an explosion where someone destroyed his ship again! If this is the type of game then it certainly isn't one I'd play because if people can sit on you for revenge or whatever, there is something wrong with that program. That should not be allowed to happen. That was a problem with H1Z1 where people would sit on your spawn point and keep killing you.

I remember the player saying that they had not included a way to lock your ship yet so if that is so, anyone could steal it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:44 pm 

I agree with you. I would not find that enjoyable at all. I stop playing Day Z because of killing as soon as you spawn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:59 pm 

I had not been able to play Star Citizen in some months, as the weekly need to download several Gb of patches was simply not working, but since there is still no sign of fibre showing up, I changed my internet plan to the highest my ISP offers, and was able to download 20 Gb of patches in six hours.

I had also not been on the SC forums much of late, so the changes both to the game and to the forums was a bit of a shock. The game changes are both good and bad, as my shiny ships are looking a bit weathered in my hanger, and most recently, they do not all seem to fit in the hanger anymore, as I was somewhat shocked to log into my hanger and discover it empty. A bit of digging uncovered the ability to organize where your ships are parked in the hanger, but as my Freelancer is size 4, and there is only one spot in the hanger where a size 4 ship can be parked, placing it there prevents the other two ships from being put into the hanger. My Redeemer seems to be size 3, so I can park that at one end of the hanger and the Ghost at the other, but previously, all three ships had fit there. It is possible I just need to do some tweaking.

The new hanger includes a lot of 'hotpoints' where you can do various changes to both the hanger and the ship (placing ships, decorations, or altering the loadout on the ships themselves), and I accidentally pulled the engine out of my Ghost without realizing it, which took a bit of work to replace, as there are a cluster of hotpoints at that location and mouse control is difficult where there are seven dots within a couple mm of each other, only one of which is the engine.

The flying experience is also both better and worse, as the ship handling itself is smoother than I remember, but if anything else mobile shows up, I start to get micro lag where it feels like my flight is stuttering. It makes it fairly hard to aim at things, but it is enough of an issue that I am certain it will be addressed quickly. The weekly information dump says the initial solar system is available for travel, but I have not had the time to wander around that much yet, and would like to relearn the basics before I do anything too ambitious.

The forums are making me uncertain though, since they have been streamlined, but in the process it feels like a lot of the lines of communication have been limited. One of the biggest pluses to SC was how open the design team was to rapport on the forums, and with half those lines combined into one, posts from design people seem less common.

I am most certainly looking forward to the release of the initial module, and no firm dates have been announced so far, but Chris Roberts has hinted a couple times it may be as soon as early to mid 2017, so the wait may soon be over.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:28 pm 

Hi Xerius, sounds like when they added some content it messed some things up. Not unusual as I experience the same kind of thing with 7 days to die. Every update breaks something else. That stuttering you mentioned is also something that 7 days encounters and the devs found some line of code that was causing it so perhaps it will be ironed out although in 7 days game, it was prevalent in Alpha 7 and here it is already Alpha 14 and they just found it. I guess that's the disadvantages of early releases. My concern is that when the new Alpha comes out for my game that it doesn't mess up the one I'm presently playing because I have spent way too many hours building stuff to see it all go to waste.

A new game I am getting is due out this coming Friday and that's No Man's Sky. They have already put out three patches and the game is not released on the PC yet but it is on the PS4 as of the 9th. Apparently there are some copies already out there for testers I guess and reviewers so they will have to start a new game also. I have started so many new games since I first got 7 days that after they claimed I wouldn't have to do that from Alpha 14 on but from what I have been seeing as to the previews of Alpha 15 I find that hard to believe since they have done so much to the landscape now. So I should have known better of course that's why they call it Alpha isn't it?

Well, I hope SC gets the bugs worked out as between Elite and SC there really hasn't been much progress from what I have seen, at least in comparison to some of the other games I have seen. Undoubtedly the more sophisticated the game play the longer it takes to debug and add content. I wish you good luck with SC and 2017 is getting closer all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:45 pm 

Up date 2.5 looks interesting but it will take me 4 hours to download.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:01 am 

Well i kind of lost sight of Star Citizens, so i guess its time to reinstall and check out 2.5...