Arwen's Realm

A Virtual Community
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:48 pm

Welcome
Welcome to Arwen's Realm!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: brewing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:49 am 

Since i consider it a Hobby - is anybody else in brewing his own beer ?

Actually i did start only a couple of weeks ago and my first try ended in chaos. But on Sunday i tried a second brew and it looks fine so far (its ferementing right now).

Post subject: Re: brewing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:45 pm 

Hey congrats for posting something! No, I'm sorry, I don't brew beer but I do lots of other things. Like dehydrating tomatoes and other vegetables and then grinding them into a powder and using them for spices, wow, what flavors you get for any dish. My drinking days are over. I have lots of hobbies though, crafts, music, reading, gardening, making perfume, colognes, stuff like that.

But, anyway, good to see a post for a change. Hope to see some more posting to warrant coming here! I'm sure there are other Beer drinkers that have tried micro brews so they might be interested in making their own. Is it expensive to do that? And is it worth it? Of course, if all hell breaks loose and the grid goes down or something like that, it's good to know how to do things like that which most people would be lost over. I like to watch those videos that people are experimenting with ideas to create other forms of energy and heating their home incase the grid did go down from an Xflare or such. I have a few solar devices as back up for minor things like light, radios, that is assuming those devices don't get destroyed in the Xflare like everything else. If so, then it's back to fire for light and cooking and heat. Water will be a problem however. Now if my solar system still worked, I can make pure water using a low wattage dehumidifier using the solid state method and I have other filter methods along with ultra violet purification. Safe drinking water is becoming a major issue.

Well, not about beer but I had to post something so you didn't feel no one was reading it. Have a great day JBuford.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:32 am 

:-) Thanks Utlo.

You need a few hardware things ( a brewery pot, like one to make jam or hot spiced wine), 2 buckets, 2 different filters and smaller things for temperature measuring and wort measuring. All in all if you are creative you can produce some of these things yourself so you end up around 100 dollars for the equipment i guess. Less if you are more creative :-)

The barley is quite cheap. A friend of my family is a farmer and he grows barley for beer brewing, so he is giving me a few kilos for free. However you need to sprout it and then crack it a little bit. For the time being i bought it finished (its called Malt), but next weekend i will try to make my own malt out of the barley.

The Hops and the yeast is not expensive too. So in the end i think for 20 liters of beer you pay less than 20 dollars or so for the ressources you need.

Is it worth? I think yes! Austria was kind of a beer desert until 10 years ago, with large breweries making basically the same beer. It was fine, but the subtleties of taste that was possible, were not used. Also up until today the big companies are filtering their beer in the end, which makes it not bad but rather boring. That already changed as you get now very often Zwicklbier which means unfiltered beer. So Austria changed from beer desert to beer heaven (well almost, there is still room for improvement). If you brew it yourself, besides the fact that it is fun to make it, if you increase your practice you can make various differen beers with an excellent tast.

I recon you are well learned in technichal stuff, this is something i sadly lack. I was never the experimental type in school and never got into chemistry or physics. But chemistry i now learned a bit by brewing beer :-)

Have a good day too, Utlo!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:21 pm 

Sounds like fun, especially if you intend to drink what you make, ha ha. In the USA there is a lot of history of people making their own brew and spirits. At one time it is illegal even. I do believe however that you will learn a bit of chemistry for sure.

There are a lot of micro brewery's open now but when I was delving into the spirits I only liked the Dark Ale and not too much of that as I was more a Canadian Club kind of guy. I have to admit, I do not miss alcohol just like I do not miss smoking. Now I try different kinds of tea, ha ha.

Thanks for the info and good day to you sir.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:26 am 

Oh yes i will drink what i brew...no matter what it turns out ot be :-)

Ok its in bottles now and i need to wait for 6 weeks until i can taste it. I dont have ideal measuremnt tool for alcohol yet, but if its true then it will be a very LIGHT beer....but that doesnt matter!

Have a nice weekend!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:23 am 

So to bring this circle to an end: the final product actually tasted very good! I had only one bottle which obviously had got too much air while depressurize the bottles. This is something i still need to fine tune with getting more experience.

The taste was a little sweet at the beginning, bitter in the end. The colour was fine and the foam excellent. As i thought (and measured) it was not that strong - should have be around 2% Alcohol.

Oh yes and its almost gone, as i brewed a new beer on Saturday and a friend and I drank almost all that was left in that procress...brewing makes thirsty :-) The next beer will be a wheat beer, and it will be as strong as it should be (around 5 %).

Prost!
;-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:29 am 

Well glad to hear you are enjoying the fruits of your labor. I never was a big beer drinker but I have done my share for sure when I was younger. Now I drink coffee and tea, carrot juice, joint juice (for knees), and water.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:12 am 

Thanks Utlo! What is joint juice exactly?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:45 am 

http://www.jointjuice.com/allproducts.asp

Basically a supplement drink.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:52 am 

Yep, just another way of getting the Glucosamine for your joints. Getting old sucks! ha ha.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:45 am 

I see..thanks :-)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:50 am 

So all the beer bottles are empty (or emptied) and i brew a new beer on Sunday. In honor of a friend who lives now in England i tried to brew an Indian Pale Ale.

Well IPAs (as they are called) are on the top of the craft beer madness that steamrolled over Austria (and i guess world wide) during the last year, but IPAs are never my favorite style because they are very bitter usually.

I found an more or less sound recipy and some Malt for a Scottish IPA. But the difference to the other beer i brew was interesting:

* Normal you heat the water up to a moderate temperature, put in the malt and then a combination of heat and break is the way to go. Here i had to heat the water up to a rather high temperature initially (73 degree Celsius), put in the malt and let it rest for 70 Minutes. After that the heating goes on up to 78 degree with only short breaks.

* The second big difference was the hops: normally you bring the beer to cook and then put in the Hops (about 2/3 of it after it is cooking and 1/3 short before the end of the cooking). Then you filter out th hops and let it cool down. Here i had to give some Hops after the cooking and let in in together with the beer while cooling down. It seems, this way the bitterness can be increased a lot..

So the Yest is doing its work now and in 4 weeks i know more...;-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:06 pm 

Well, your four weeks are up, did it come out okay? I'm still making Kombucha but sometimes I buy some that have other ingredients in it like Blue-Green Algae and such. I still have not got it down perfectly yet as sometimes it is either too sweet or too much vinegar tasting. I need to test it more often I guess. I tend to forget about it and let it sit too long. You have to stop it at the right time and I do not have an acid meter so I should probably be smart and take some out everyday and test it with litmus paper. I drink it anyway because I hate to waste it and after all, it still has the bacteria in it for the probiotics.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:21 am 

Son just opened a brew pub in Davis, CA with couple of friends. He has been brewing for years. His real job is a bio-engineer. They are starting out with seven types of beer. All are good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:48 am 

Hi MajorMarv! Yes that would be my final goal: startting brewery on a bit larger scale besides having a regular job.

Ther Pale Ale mentioned before turned out quite good and bitter. Meanwhile all bottles were emptied and i brewed the exctract beer which came with my initial equipment. This shortes your work by 6 to 8 Hours but it also does not taste that distinctive. Its more like the standard beer you can buy everywhere: solid but flat in taste.

So i will soon brew a new "regular one".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:09 am 

So summer is almost over and in the last months i brew two beers.

The first was a wheat strong beer (Weizenbock) but i did made some errors in the calculations so it ended up double strong as it should have been (around 8,5% Alcohol). But i must say i have never tasted a beer like that! I for sure will try to re-create it as the taste and foam was excellent. And for such a strong beer you did not taste the alcohol that much. The taste was rich in conent, rather sweet but not too much.

The second one i brew last week and is now in the bottles for 5 more weeks: its called "Altbier" (Old beer, because it is brewed in the "old way"), which is a dark and rather bitter taste. But i tweaked the formula a bit and will see how it turns out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:45 am 

Wow, that's pretty darn strong for a beer! Couldn't drink too many of those. The only beer I drink these days is Apple Beer. They make it in the fall and it has zero alcohol. No preservatives, no added sugar, just carbonated apple with a cider like taste.

I planted a crab apple tree a few years ago and this year it produced the nicest apples I have tasted in some time. They are small but so tasty compared to the ones in the store. I think it is because they use wax to preserve them and though it is eatable wax, it effects the taste of the apples and in time they will rot from the inside out. I don't buy apples after the end of the year because they are just storage apples after that. So much fruit today is picked green and then gassed to get it to ripen but it just tastes bland that way.

I also planted a grape vine, red skin seedless and this year they came out and they also taste so much better than store purchased. In fact, I have never tasted a grape as lively and unique of a taste as these are. They won't make it to full ripeness because I keep picking them before they are fully ripe. They just taste that good. I have to put netting over them or the birds and squirrels will clean them out. Same with the apples but the tree is small yet and eventually I won't be able to do that. With the grapes, they say that you should cut the vines back after a couple years to stimulate new growth. I will do that because I want to extend the arbor and redirect the vines when they grow in the spring. I'll bet these grapes would make fantastic wine. But that is out of my league.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:22 am 

Utlo, do you know a bit about the chemical details of the earth you pant the grapes in? This is quite important for their growth & taste...but mostly if you continue to make wine :-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:11 am 

Not particularly but I do use Magnesium (Epsom Salt) and some organic plant food but the soil itself is not very acidic if at all. I have had that part of the yard give me trouble growing some items. I plan to over winter with some ashes from wood burning and some mulch after I remove the remaining plants. I used it in the Spring and I think it was too much for the plants so allowing it to break down over the winter should be better for the plants and not be such a shock to them.

The grapes however have really been a treat and the flavor has been great but I notice if I let them ripen too much they lose that special flavor. I also noticed that with the apples this year too as once they reach the point of falling off of the tree, they are not crispy like they were a couple weeks ago. So there is certainly a right time to pick the fruits. I do like the apples without all of that wax that the stores have on the apples they sell. I realize that the wax prolongs the storage and all but then the apples rot from the inside out. I have purchased firm ripe looking apples from the store only to find them soft inside and brown spots. They also don't have much of a taste either. So I don't buy any apples anymore after around November.

What I like to do is take fresh apples and cook them with raisins and some other spices in a pot and then put it in Tortillas that they use for Burritos and then put them in the oven for around 20 minutes at a lower heat then what you'd use for pie, just enough to brown them lightly and they turn out really good. It's a cheap way to make apple turnovers. I use the uncooked Tortillas which is made with white unbleached flour with no preservatives. I also add pecans when cooking the apples and raisins. I do not add sugar however because the apples and raisins are plenty sweet already. I just don't know why manufacturers have to constant add sugar to fruit when it is already sweet enough. That's why I prefer to make my own.

I probably should look into the chemicals you need to add to get good grapes as well but I really hate to add anything that is just pure chemicals. I know the soil has to have sufficient minerals in it though and there are products that make a liquid nutrient which is better than just putting chemicals in the ground. Worms make a great rich liquid but it is strong and can burn the plants if given too much. I'm not for having worms under the sink though like some people suggest, ha ha. They put their plant trimmings in the soil that has the worms in it and eventually it will produce a dark liquid that is supposed to be great for plants, mixed with water though. I have books for information but just like instructions, I don't always read them. I did that one time and put the necessary ingredients in the ground but it didn't seem to matter. I think weather has more to do with producing some kinds of plants than anything. I notice that some years certain plants grow great and others not so much. That's weather related I believe. Another thing that can control it is water as too much is just as bad as too little. That's hard to judge sometimes due to the weather.