Arwen's Realm

A Virtual Community
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:01 pm

Welcome
Welcome to Arwen's Realm!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: It's Autumn and Skyrim returns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:15 am 

Back to Skyrim and first two stops were Nexus and Arwen - both are just basic :D

Post subject: Re: It's Autumn and Skyrim returns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:43 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, I haven't yet gotten back to Skyrim . . . but I really should, as I finally have a PC that can run it properly. Which is why my Skyrim Journal has not been updated in a very long time.

The thing is that I've been trying to complete my Fallout Realism Tweaks' final updates . . . which I began months ago (but then my old computer died). I released v.5.0 of my New Vegas version on Oct. 30th, and am now at work on my FO3 version. These updates are so involved (because my mod is so complex), that I have to stay pretty focused on them to make any progress. I did take some time off after finally releasing my NV update, to play Civ V, but now I'm back at work on FO3. I've also been trying to get the Fallout NV Journal of my website updated, but that has been a slow process for me.

I'll likely give Skyrim a go again in a few weeks (after I get my FO3 Tweaks' latest update released). I do have the default game installed on my new PC, but I'm thinking of purchasing the DLC. Is Skyrim's DLC worth it? (I don't even know if all the planned DLC has been released yet, or how many there are . . . that's how out of touch I have been).

Arwen's Star Citizen Journal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:27 pm 

Kind of a mixed bag in my view.

I have three DLC for Skyrim: Dawnguard, Hearthfire, Dragonborn. It is possible there are others that I have not run across.

Dawnguard adds vampires and werewolves to Skyrim, so if that is your style, then you would likely enjoy it. For my play style, I could live without them, but as Dawnguard also adds a substantial number of quests and new areas to explore, I found a lot there to do, so it suited me well enough, even with the vampires.

Hearthfire added very little for me. It gives you the ability to build houses and offers you the ability to adopt children, and that pretty much sums up the entire expansion. The random people who follow you around during the main game can now be left as castellion of your house, but building and furnishing houses is not the reason I play computer games, so I bought it, but get little use out of it.

Dragonborn was an interesting one, since it did not really add a huge amount, but what it did add dipped into past Elder Scrolls games in a way that made it a fun expansion. You get to return to the Morrowind isle of Solstheim, and you get some interesting insight into what went wrong to destroy the colony you worked so hard to build back in the Morrowind expansion of Bloodmoon. Additionally, there are quite a number of quests added, so you get a solid amount of content for your money, even if the added geographic area is not really that huge (of course, the Bloodmoon expansion was no bigger and it was a very satisfying expansion too).

In any case, my views on the expansions to Skyrim, for good or for bad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:46 am 

There are no more DLC's going to be released, so it is just the 3 available, plus the texture packs. Bethesda have moved on to their online version, and next Elder scrolls in the series. Though the amount of mods, and updates still coming out, is amazing.

The content i have is Dragonborn, and really love it, hearing the Morrowind music again sent chills up my spine!
I have added the Red Mountain Erupts mod, so the volcano, and smoke from Solstheim is visible on the Skyrim mainland.
Really adds to the atmosphere, it keeps reminding you to go there.

Also added Solstheim Lost Levels. Quests and Dungeons.
Dragonborn Harder creatures.
Solstheim Landscape textures.
Dragonborn Extra Encounters.
Island Fast Travel.

All play fine together, and i have to keep pushing myself to leave Solstheim.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:31 pm 

Well, the bethesda team that made skyrim isn't working on ESO, they are just acting as consultants. Currently, they are working on an undisclosed project, that I hope will be the next fallout. Even if it isn't, they haven't done a bad game since the racing one imo... and that might have even been good, just not my type.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:01 am 

Yes, i thought so too recently: hmm it would be time to get back to Skyrim..:-)

I have a tons of Mods to update but otherwise i am quite fine with my build focused on "realism".

But i also look forward to Arwens Fallout Tweaks!

-JB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:26 am 

After spending some time with Skyrim Redone, i am on the verge of installing Skyrim Unleashed. Has anyone tried that one? I wonder if it is compatible with any Food & Needs Mod, as it seems is, that Skyrim Unleashed makes it not mandatory to eat food for survival...

Oh and Happy New Year :)

JB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:07 pm 

I'm not familiar with Skyrim Unleashed, but I rather like Requiem. Little more oldschool, fair bit harder.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:10 am 

I also like Requiem, but Skyrim Unleashed is really a new experience. Until around level 20 its really though! I had epic fights (even with a companion) in some caves which used to be a calkwalk. So you need to pick your fights carefully and the playing style is much slower. So far i really like it!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:05 am 

So its winter and back to Skyrim it is (also known as "Wait until essential Fallout 4 Mods are out" and "I wait for ALPHA13 of 7DTD")...

I stick to YASH and besides that i have only essential mods. What changed the last months is, that Realistic Need and Diseases seems to be dead and replaced by INeed (which works fine). As a starting mod i stick to "Skyrim Unbound". Othwerwise i use many of the Skyrim GEMS recmmended Mods for "realism" (e.g. running, carry wheight, Crafting Overhaul...). Most of them are still under support.

On the graphical side i have thrown out all mods and only use the ENB Series. Here i ran into a trouble as i dont get the Nights and Caves realistically dark. But i started to work on the enb.ini file, as it seems you can change this direclty. All Mods for that i tried did not work (most likely got overwritten by ENB).

I start as a broke beggar in a prison in any hold, town or castle. I started in Falkreath and after spending my term in prison is continued my criminal life for some time (that means liberating a lot of people of their money to buy a starting weapon). Armed with a Iron Axe and a Longbow i started to train skills (YASH changes the skill improve level by half, and the first Skill from 0 to 1 takes A LOT of training). But on the training Dummies you can train your combat skills up to 10.

After that i tried to explore a bit and it was not an easy task to leave Falkreath :-) I am at a stage now where i can almost survive an attack of two or three wolves and some basic bandits. Still very often i need to make a hasten retreat or survive barely the wilderness of Skyrim...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:49 pm 

Sounds like you like a challenge, ha ha. I'm sure Skyrim still has a lot to offer just like the other games they had. I still play Oblivion at times so I can keep the use of keys to move around in memory. When you play too many games it's hard to recall what does what and how to function in the game. Your fingers get trained in one game and it carries over to the other.

I'll eventually get back to Skyrim again some day, it's still viable even in Vanilla. There is still much to see in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:57 am 

An update on a strange effect i had: i dont know why and how but with this new install the VSync was disabled (although it was enabled in the options of the launcher as well as in the ini file). This had the result, that all small objects (food, plates ect.) always tremple and fly around like a cruise missile if you open e.g. a table inside the buildings. In caves the character sometimes is submerged in water for an instant (and the sound of water is hearable), together with small hickups or small teleports around. It was crazy! My solution was, to force VSync over the Nvidia Configuation tool on skyrim. Now it works perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:43 am 

There was some update of the YASH Mod so i did a reinstall of Skyrim as i hade to switch from the several separate Unofficial patches to the Legendary Edition patch. YASH is now more a bit easier as you can increase the weapon skills at the dummies now to 15 (instead of 10). Otherwise it still stands: if you want a true hardcore experience in skyrim: use YASH and Skyrim Unbound (Alternative Start Mod), and begin as a beggar in a prison :-)

Also i tried out the new total conversion Mod of the developers of Nehrim: Enderal. They once again did a brilliant job, but i dont like the switch to the more Gothic style levelling (your need XP). Nevertheless its worth a try:

http://sureai.net/games/enderal/?lang=en

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:19 am 

I started a new Skyrim game on Sunday, so I am tempted to try one of those mods and restart again. I am not that far into the main quest, although I have lucked out on a couple of drops that I hate to lose, as they are making my early game progress easier.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:51 am 

@Enderal: it overwrites the game files so you need to make a separate copy of the original skyrim data folder (i think you can make a backup with the Enderal installer, with which you can revert also back).

Have fun! I actually never followed the main quest beyond Whiterun...