Arwen's Realm

A Virtual Community
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Welcome
Welcome to Arwen's Realm!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: TES Online
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:27 am 

Hi,

anyone following the development of the TES Online? I am not a big fan of online games mostly because i cant really play in my on pace (or i am getting to old for that :shock: ). But i like the overall large worlds and possibility of exploring it. I am still playing LOTRO and will try out the new Darkfall soon.

Of course TES Online got my attention and i am still somewhat sceptical mostly because of the faction locking and XP gaining system. But now that the game is developed also for consoles, i really doubt i will try it out at launch.

-JB

Post subject: Re: TES Online
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:39 am 

I have been following the development somewhat idly, since although I am an online game player (guess I am not too old for them yet *g*), I find myself too old to start another online game, as it would mean losing several years of effort in the games I already play. One only has so much time and I already find that I can either play one game regularly and another occasionally, or play two or three games without really making any progress in any of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:24 am 

which game are you playing?

yea, time constraints are an issue - in special with online rpg. as a lord of the rings fan i bought the lifetime membership for LOTRO at launch. but it took me about 4 years to get a character beyond level 40...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:43 am 

I have been playing Everquest since Beta in 1999, and have played Vanguard off and on (played it in Beta and for three months after Beta, then gave up on it due to the unfinished state and the number of bugs, then picked it up again a year later when enough work was done on it to make it one of the better games out there, if also one of the most challenging).

I have also tried Earth and Beyond, Dark Age of Camelot, City of Heroes, Age of Conan, Secret World, and got a fair ways in some of them, but endgame in almost all online games requires a lot of time spent, so it was either drop the games I had been playing for years, or drop the newcomer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:00 am 

Everquest, the golden 90ies...i remember well playing Ultima Online with a 56k Modem...insane lags but lot of fun :-)

I also get back to Vanguard regulary - its an very interesting game!

A couple of months i reinstalled Everquest II but it seems they quite destroyed it when changing it to the F2P model..at least it changed in a way i dont recongnize it anymore...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:06 pm 

Ah yes, I also played Ultima Online from Beta until two years later, and have tried Everquest II a few times (due to playing both Everquest and Vanguard, I have a Station Pass that gives me access to all the SOE games, as it is cheaper than subscribing to two games separately).

I also played Star Wars Galaxies, but it seemed to get old fast, as I would play happily for a month, drop the game for a year, play it for another month with great interest, then drop it for a year again. The big changes happened during the time I was not playing and got enough negative press that I did not bother to try the game with the changes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:33 am 

I never tried Star Wars Galaxies, but at the time of the release i worked in a Software Store and i remember they did change something a couple of months later dramatically and many people i talked to got highly frustrared and angered.

I had a friend who was really a powergamer, who played most of his day Online games, and while it was fun to play with him (as he could supply my character with good stuff), i was also always sceptical towards Online RPG because of players like him. I dont like to play with large crowds as it tends to get stressful. And i much more enjoy exploring a world than grinding up my characters.

So i tried several games but found very little suitable for my gaming style. I did really enjoy the original Darkfall as it was an huge open world with a skill progression system i like - very similar to Ultima Online. Another nice game i play again every couple of months is "World of Pirates" - which is like Multiplayer Version of Sid Meiers Pirates and Cutthroats. Most of my Pirates got sunk after a couple of hourse, but its still nice :-)

The case with LOTRO is a bit different as my brother and his daughters play it also - its like a family holliday in Middle Earth :-) We even have our own guild.

Iin the essence i like the more larger playing worlds of the Online RPG, but most of them dont have a gaming system that suits my taste...so my search goes on :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:17 am 

I personally wish a good MMO would take up a new subscription plan. Maybe... something along the lines of buying "days" of access that are used as you access the game.
Ex: Buy 30 day subscription. If you don't log in for a day, that day is not deducted from your remaining time.

Since... ya know, not everyone is able to play every day. And if you don't play every day, you feel like you're buying something but not utilizing it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:44 am 

Buying days of access is an excellent idea! I also liked the lifetime subscription of LOTRO at launch. It cost between 100 and 200 Euros (dont remember exactly anymore). Its a good deal as i for sure already play it longer than the 200 euros in monthly subscription terms.

I guess this lifetime subscription turned out not to be the best plan for the publisher as i dont recalll any other MMO had that option.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:13 am 

I'd be interested if there was a one-time fee, and with the ability to go to 1st person view.
And a proper dynamic world.
And no requirements for playing with other players.

Then I might be interested. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:44 pm 

JBuford wrote:
Buying days of access is an excellent idea! I also liked the lifetime subscription of LOTRO at launch. It cost between 100 and 200 Euros (dont remember exactly anymore). Its a good deal as i for sure already play it longer than the 200 euros in monthly subscription terms.

I guess this lifetime subscription turned out not to be the best plan for the publisher as i dont recalll any other MMO had that option.

The Secret World also had a lifetime subscription, just months before they went Free To Play.

To their credit, they did give a number of perks to the lifetime people at that point.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:13 am 

@Xit: total agreee with you :-)

@Xerius: I remember reading about Secret World but after realizing it is published by EA i lost any interest as i am boycotting them...

I had some spare time this week and started to check out Darkfall Unholy Wars. It looks promising but the UI is not as good as it could be...but i can feel the urge to start a new Skyrim Character so i will see how far i will plunge into Darkfall :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:17 am 

JBuford wrote:
@Xit: total agreee with you :-)

@Xerius: I remember reading about Secret World but after realizing it is published by EA i lost any interest as i am boycotting them...

I had some spare time this week and started to check out Darkfall Unholy Wars. It looks promising but the UI is not as good as it could be...but i can feel the urge to start a new Skyrim Character so i will see how far i will plunge into Darkfall :-)

Would have to check whether EA was marketing Secret World in some way, since the game was made by Funcom, the same company who runs Age of Conan.

And there it is, on the box, although EA is not mentioned anywhere on their website, and do not recall anything on the intro screen mentioning EA, although I ESC past those screens. Perhaps EA is the distributor for the N American market, since Funcom is European.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:00 am 

EA is the Publisher of Secret World

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:54 am 

Well, the day of decision is here. The Elder Scrolls Online are up for preorder ant it seems the game comes to life beginning of April.

I am still a little bit unsure, but tend to preorder it...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:32 pm 

I like what I've seen of it in the one Beta weekend I played. There is a really nice in depth review of the game here: http://tamrielfoundry.com/2014/02/eso-i ... ve-review/

Also - for those who thought about The Secret World and then backed away for whatever reason... take another look. That game is exceptional. Its only real problem is lack of new content for end game. But it has some of the most absorbing quests Ive ever seen. If you like puzzles you will love the investigation quests.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:22 am 

Thanks for the link to the very informative Review. Well i am still undecided to preorder or wait a couple of months. What causes me to wait is the quite steep preorder costs and if i see it correctly that you can only play any race in any alliance when you have the explorer pack (or for Imperial the Imperial Edition)..i dont really want to reward that policy by picking up the preorder...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:37 pm 

Alright i jumped on the wagon and preordered TES Online. Sadly i only had about 3 or 4 hours time to play (there were a lot of server downs during prime time). My first impressions:

* I was positively suprised that the console feeling is not that bad as i feared it would be
* Its playable in 1st Person and the combat feels quite different to other MMOs (although it might not be under the hood). What i dont really like is the Archery - it feels kind of arcadish
* The skills are a bit of a downer: there are not much and they are handled (i think) like in other MMOs - repetitive
* The character is running a little too fast for my taste
* Starting area seems a little small and crowded (buildings wise) - but i read this is different once you leave this area
* Crafting: i dont have any clue yet
* BOOKS: i lovem them from the single player games and they are in again!
* Overall i like it very much so far. Did not yet regret that i bought it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:23 am 

Ok maybe a little more feedback after some more hours of playtime.

What strikes me most is what a difference it makes if you dont get (much) XP by killing enemies. The major XP gain in TESO are the quests so the grinding of most other MMOs is gone. An additional advantage is, that (at least so far) you can explore the map without running into tons of wild boars equipped with double axes attacking you on sight. If you stick to the roads you are mostly safe to travel, and besides the roads its not a grindfeast.

But what i would love to see are two new server types: a dedicated RPG Server and a kind of Ironman Server (which means: if you die you char is gone forever). Both would serve the overall game feeling of TESO very well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:54 pm 

So far, my experiences have not been overly positive.

It took three tries to get the game to install, as it shut down the installer twice on the first disk. During this time, I waited at a blank screen for the account creation screen to load for four hours. On the third install attempt, the account creation screen showed up though, and I was able to make an account, while the game continued to install all four disks.

Meanwhile, the game refused to let me continue past one of the account creation screens, since I could not enter an apartment number for my house. I finally put my house number both on the address and the apartment number screens and the page was happy, and it even gave me a game charge (to be charged after the initial thirty free days) in Canadian dollars, although when I finally got the verification screen for method of payment, I had been charged Euros (and a conversion charge). It was still much better than a previous american online game I tried to play, who would not accept a payment from Canada since European orders were blocked.

And then I patched for twenty hours, and was able to play, and aside from some control bugs that showed up, I enjoyed myself, until I did the unthinkable and logged out to get some work done.

Then, work and supper complete, I started the game again, only to run into a message telling me that the patcher was not recognized. Going to the tech support forums, I eventually found in a mass of nine pages of posts the information that I should go through a certain set of steps to get the patcher to actually look for updated files. One Repair later (fifteen minutes), the game realized that files needed to be updated, and I am currently going through several instances of 200 Mb downloads (58 percent done in the last hour).

Given some luck, I may still be able to play tonight, only two and a half hours later than I intended.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:16 am 

Oh my, these is really bad...:-( And strange as i had no problem with downloading, installing ect...maybe i was lucky or things went more smoothly during early access.

It was, though, a bit "complicated" to activate my account after early access ended and set up a proper account.

So i hope you finally have a chance to PLAY the game :-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:10 am 

Oh yes. I played for an hour two days ago and two hours last night, so twenty six hours of setup has been counterbalanced by three hours of play time.

I did have to put two people on ignore within the first few minutes of logging on last night, but that is not exactly uncommon in any online game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 pm 

Yes the Gold Spamer and Bots are crazy - havnt seen it that much since WOW. I do hope they get that somehow into control because its simply ridiculous and breaks immersion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:05 pm 

I have not seen any gold spammers so far (five hours played now), and have not been far enough into the higher level zone to see bots.

I put the two people on ignore because I grew tired of their pro-gun ownership tripe.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:34 am 

Oook pro-gun is a bit weir, but i guess there is a difference between US and EU server. Is it common to have political agitation in MMOs in the US??? The last time i played on a US server was WOW at release...

Its crazy on the EU Server: the Chat window is runnning full of chats for websites where you can buy gold. But yesterday evening it was a bit better, so maybe they ease off.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:40 pm 

It depends on the game I think.

In Vanguard, you very seldom saw people arguing politics. Topics occasionally came up, but anyone who started ranting too loudly was told by the community to go elsewhere. Everquest started out fairly non political, but with the free to play model now in place, you see a lot more of them.

ESO has been bad so far, with Hemmingway's 'ugly american' very prominent, although once the free month is done, one hopes most of the really bad ones go elsewhere. I did see my first two gold spammers last night though, and they went on ignore quickly.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:51 pm 

Any update of sorts, since I now have one character at level 26, two at 16, and two at 11. I can claim to be experienced at the low level game at this point.

Things have not been going badly. Those gold spammers became very prominent after the first couple days, although they seem isolated to the low level zones, so once I got out of those, the only real exposure I have to gold spamming was in emails (nine in one night is the record so far).

I am running into broken quests of late, and my efforts to petition were met with a very dismissing response. The fellow who responded to my email said he has characters stuck on the same quests, and he lives in hope that someday the quests will be fixed. Not a solution of any time, and his hope for a solution was that someday I could progress again. I cheated though by looking up the quest line in EUSP and found neither of the quests are considered 'major' by the game, so I am losing out on a few quests that these are blocking, but nothing else.

The questing is largely enjoyable, although a few quests seem to be of the 'run in and fight, then res and run in and fight again until the enemy is dead' line, as you have little indication that you are going to meet a level 25 mob that is markedly tougher than any other in the quest until you meet it (typically in ESO you can fight a mob two levels higher than your own level with minimal danger, or three mobs in a group at your own level).

Crafting is interesting, and I have four of my characters dedicated to the five tradeskills, with my Mage handling both Enchanting and Clothworking (and nobody really dedicated to cooking, as that seems to just happen). My progress is not marked, with Blacksmithing being my highest skill at 15 or so, but it is enough to make the weapons and armour for that character, and I am coming up on the halfway point on researching traits, with a bank full of weapons and armour waiting to use up for research. At six hours per item, it will take awhile yet.

My only sizeable criticism though is how static the world feels. Due to the issues with levels (as I had said, you can walk up to three enemies at your level and expect to survive, but a named three levels lower can instantly kill you unless your reaction time is fast enough to hit the right button at the right time) it makes some sense that you would be able to walk away from a quest until you had levelled up a bit, but it is damaging to my suspension of disbelief to be repeatedly told how time sensitive a quest is, only to find I can simply walk away and ignore it for a week, then come back and find the quest exactly as I left it.

My great example is a quest one of my lower levels finished this week. I went into the quest at level 6, as finishing the previous quest in the over-arc sent me there, and I was asked to assist the elf queen by getting rid of hostile spectres who were disrupting her attempts to talk to her ancestors. The hostile spectres were level 8, and the later ability to handle mobs even higher level than me does not really cut in until after level 10, so I simply could not do the quest. I left the queen frantically trying to do her piece while her priestesses cleansed shrines and the corrupted stones prevented the procedure, and when I returned four days later, they were still at it. I was level 9 by then, so the spectres were not a marked challenge, I got all the shrines cleansed, all was well, but I was asked to accompany the queen into an ayleid ruin to find the source of the disturbance, and since that turned out to be a level 8 named, I did not have a hope of defeating it, so I wandered off again, and in the week it took before I played that alt enough to get to level 11, the queen waited for me in the ruin, twiddling her thumbs and enjoying the tomb air, until I got around to her again, at which point we dispatched the named without issue.

It is a bit amusing, but it breaks the immersion, even though I cannot really think of a good alternative to that, other than the older MMO style where if you could not do a quest within a certain time after starting it, you simply failed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:41 pm 

Well an update on Vanguard: it is now taken offline for good since end of July...that sad, as i really enjoyed the time i played it...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:28 pm 

Yep, I played Vanguard to the bitter end, although my intentions of being online when the final breath was taken did not work out.

Thoroughly enjoyable game, but just too difficult for the modern crowd who expects online games to hand everything to them without effort, but it made for a population largely immune to the problem children who are the norm in the games still out there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:51 am 

True words Xerius!

On the topic: i did put my account on hold in TESO - i increasingly could not get over the static feeling of the game and also the lack of "freedom". Ok the later one is common in online rpgs but it felt a bit too much for my taste in TESO. So i will wait a couple of months and look how it is developing.

I think about giving Darkfall 2 a try. But as i am not a big fan of PvP and it seems it is the major focus point of the game. But on the other hand it had a rather clumsly UI at the beginning so maybe that is distracting at least the "problem children"...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:04 am 

Of late I have seen some real rants about TESO not living up to the ES lore or game play. A game that size however is a real chore and since this is the first effort for ES to do a multiplayer it will take awhile to get it in shape, if that is even possible as it may not suit fans of the original series. Most all RPG multiplayer games are somewhat the same I would think since the mechanics are pretty much operate the same way. Quest tend to be go fetch or transport me someplace.

I have to say, once the random worlds of 7 Days to Die is uploaded either this week or next it will be quite the adventure! And to think there is still lots to be added to the game before it is finalized. So I doubt I'll be playing ESO anytime soon. I'm wondering if we have seen the last of the ES as a single player? Or for that matter, the last of Fallout?

One of the biggest complaints is that they skewed the reward system in the game on line so that you would have to spend money to get anything good or spend so many hours to accumulate enough to buy it that way. Since I don't play it, I don't know what is really involved there for that. And perhaps it is just because it is BETA. I just hope it turns out okay for those that have invested into it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:55 am 

Well i believe if you are willing to take some risks, you could make a TESO which lives up to the lore and feeling of the single player game. But i think it would need a total reconcept of the structure of an online RPG. No body is willing to take that risk and they are all basically copying World of Warcraft.

Vanguard and the original Everquest II were although excellent games, but the first was not appealing to the masses so it got cancelled (recently) and what happened to EQ2 is beyond my knowledge - i dont know why they dumbed it down.

But i am sure they will continue to make Single Player games too - so i am confident we will live to see another Elder Scrolls and Fallout game.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:49 am 

So time for a little update. I continued to play in November and did like it a lot - in my opinion the game improved a lot since i stoped last May/June. Anyway it is fun to play, and with the upcoming Justice System (with stealing, bounty ect.) it looks even more like an Elder Scrolls game...

However i am fear that the change to Pay to Play will be the beginning of the end. I remember how Lotro went down once it switched Free to play and i suspect, TESO will also switch to Free to Play in a year or so. In addition i dont hope the offer lore breaking items in the virtual shop: i dont like to see Christmas Hoodies, Fluffy Dragon Mounts or similar nonsense...

So i fear the worst but hope for the best!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:54 am 

Wow, I forgot all about this game. I wonder how many people are actually still playing it? I'm still have fun play 7 days to die even though the next update won't be until sometime in February near the latter part I suspect. But at least they are giving us enough time to play things through and the next update is supposed to have so great stuff. I put a link on other games.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:58 am 

From my experience there are still a lot of people playing. I think the numbers increased with Update 5 and with the Update 6 (Justice System) the numbers might rise more. Although some are highly pissed about the Pay-to-win Change and might quit (judging from the posts on the forums)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:46 am 

Did anybody recently had a chance to play TESO since it changed to Pay to win (or whatever they call it in these days) ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:51 pm 

I have not played it at all. Sorry. I do however abhor the idea of paying in order to win by getting things you should have to earn in the game. I notice the same type of thing with both Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous where you buy ships instead of everyone having to work their way up to them and earn them by hook or by crook. But, just like in real life, those that are privileged tend to take the short cuts. Their loss however because they missed out on the experience and the rewards of earning it. My opinion of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:15 am 

Well technically you could argue if TESO is now pay to win - in my opinion yes as you can buy buffs (but you can also craft them in game). Nevertheless, my feeling is, that it will end up at pay to win.

But you made an very interesting observation i was not aware of - thank you! This recent rise of Pay to win stuff (like Star Citizen and ED and all the MMOs) is actually a good mirror image of how the economic system changed: less hard stuff and work ("real" economy) and rise of financial economy with lofty instruments for which you need a lot of money...well maybe i am wrong and this topic is defiently OT...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:37 am 

TESO has really developed since beta The mechanics are very smooth for an MMO. After 1550+ hours on L O T R O I found TESO to be a refreshing change. The graphics are outstanding and the voice acting well done. I have to admit I have a high end system and recommend one if you want to play TESO.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:12 pm 

Hi RadoGamer! Welcome on board :-)

I agree, i like TESO a lot. Neverthless i am back to Skyrim and Oblivion for a change :-) But i somehow miss LOTRO as it was a great game before they changed Free to Play.