Arwen's Realm

A Virtual Community
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:13 am

Welcome
Welcome to Arwen's Realm!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: 7 Days to die
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:33 am 

It appears that things get a bit easier as you level up and open new perks so you don't have to eat so much or drink so much.

Since you have to have a forge to make almost anything for building other than wood, that only leaves a couple other alternatives. Scrap and cobblestone. The cobblestone is perhaps the best bet as it takes the lease amount of materials to make and you don't need anything special to make it. For one block of cobblestone in place you need a frame which is 1 plant fiber and 5 pieces of wood, pretty cheap. Then to make the cobblestone for the block you will need 10 cobblestones plus a hammer or wrench or stone ax to upgrade it using the cobblestones. To make the cobblestones, you do need 1 clay and 1 small stone to make a single cobble stone but you need 10 of these to fill the frame so that's 10 chunks of clay and 10 small stones, still pretty cheap material wise. Clay chunks you can get with a shovel (stone shovel even) and in no time you will have a couple hundred chunks at least but I spent about 6 minutes and got over 1,000 pieces so it's pretty easy to get a lot of it. Same with wood.

The strength of the block is 1500 hit points though which is less than concrete but still a bit more than wood that has been upgraded. The good part is that you don't need to have anything to make it with so you could be running and still making it which is also increasing your skill level for crafting. Most all other materials that you make require you to use a forge, a mixer, or a workbench and therefore it is stationary. Cobblestones are not so you can make them on the fly as well as the frames for it. Just remember that when using frames for cobblestone overhead, you have to support them until you upgrade them to cobblestone blocks or they will just fall down. That's one of the drawbacks of using them for roofs but you still can if you support them until they are completed. Then you can remove the support. However, you could use wood blocks for roofs instead and not have that problem.

The whole new crafting method is not so bad once you adjust to it and figure out how to do it. There are a few items that still require a bit too much materials and of course the time to make them but other than that it's not so bad plus you can have a work bench making stuff for you as well so that helps out. (It does take a bit of material to make one and once you make it, it is permanent in that position.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:58 am 

After some fresh starts i found a House in the woods with a stove. I made it my Homebase and explored around. In the south there was a larger village and i searched through the town and gathered all that was usable. Took me several days to explore, and ferry the stuff over to the Mainbase. In town i once again had a very close encounter with a bear. He seemed to be fond of a certain house and and wont go far away. So i went up the roof of that house and shot some arrows..which worked fine at the beginning but then i was clumsy enough to fall down right on top of him! I had luck and did not get a direct hit from him. Nothing was broken so i managed to run off (which is rather unrealistic as a human cant really outrun an outgrown bear..but well he is a Zombie bear after all)....so after i healed i got back, this time i moved up to the roof of a house nearby. I shot him again with arrows and he had some problems getting into the house. He managed to do so and while he tried to get up to me i had a clear vision down on him and managed to kill him with Arrows...phew..

In the town there was a pharmacy which is a nice treat. Besides that it seems to me the houses have less canned food now. Did not find that much. But i did find a lead battery. To get to the Motorcycle it is still a long way to go as i only have found a book for the Handlebar.

Back at the Homebase i started to dig around my House and put in some wooden spikes. Its a rather deep and wide ditch..i will see how this works out. On the roof of the house i started my own plantation and planted Potatoes, Corn and Blueberries...hope the weight wont get to much, but so far it works :-)

So now i started to scout to the north into the snow region. Once i have my ditch finished i will activate the Zombies and will see how it turns out..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:38 am 

Have you seen any of the videos that others have made with the Alpha 14? It appears that the zeds are a bit more aggressive now. The first week though should only be a small horde but you might want to be away from your base though as they still can do some major damage. I usually set up an alternative base on the red moon days so when they come to destroy things I will fight them off for awhile and if they get out of control and there are too many of them, then it's time to take off and let them have it but at least the main base is still intact.

You said you found a battery and now there are actually more of them to be found since they made them more available in cars now. If it is awhile before you need one though, you can use it to make a spot light using a battery, a headlight, and some cable wire. They don't burn out presently but they can light things up really good. You can use them to see what is out there or you can use them in a mine. You can pick them back up unless it is a spot light type. The ones you make are mobile. I use them a lot, especially in underground mining. I don't normally use caves as there is plenty of ore beneath the ground now.

I'm using a crypt as an entrance to the underground. Those are pretty handy places for that purpose since the graveyard is protected by iron bars. There is usually an open area that you have to repair though as there is a tree that grows in the way otherwise it is pretty safe to hide out in at night. There are several of them distributed all over the place. I prefer to break into one through the roof then put on a hatch and use a ladder to get into it. That way there is no need for doors as they will target doors.

I have lots of cobblestone now and make walls where needed, and I make them double thick in places where I know they will try to get in. Cobblestone is the easiest material to use for building now but it's not as strong as concrete. If you use double walls though it is at least as strong as concrete though when you take into account they have to break through both of the walls. Clay and small stones are easy to get and plentiful. You can build a lot of things out of it too.

Don't count on a wood house though, try for one of those three story brick buildings in a town then you can use wood to build a walkway around the outside of the building. That's good for escape as well as for drawing them to the other side of the building and picking them off. Just don't fall!! ha ha. Once you get iron bars though, you can use them in place of the wood and shoot through them as well. The walkway will prevent spider zombies from getting up the wall also.

Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:50 am 

Found a couple more interesting bits. There is now a formula for steel building materials and one of the best ones I found is the steel plate. You can rotate it to any direction too which means you can use it to reinforce cheap walls as long as you don't need to put anything in that block space it will occupy so I use them to protect columns that I use for making bridges. You don't want them knocking out a column and having the bridge fall.

They also have a square small pole the size of the wood poles only this one is steel and when I tried to break it, wow, it has 10,000 hit points. Once you break it down then it has another 6000 for reinforced concrete! So you have to make that one first and then upgrade it with forged steel bars. What's nice about them is they rotate to all four corners and in the middle. I can think of a few ideas of where to use something like that!

With the plate however, what makes that very useful is that you can walk in the block space that you use it in so that you could use it for a wall and still wake in that same space even though it is being used by the steel plate as it is only 1/8th the space in the block. That's great for making a passage way that only uses a 1 block space but you can't put a door on it unless you make the door just past that opening using other blocks. I've use that principle before to actually use two plates back to back which then becomes 20,000 hitpoints. It's good for outside walls, good luck zombies trying to bust that! It gives you the same value if you use it on a steel column as well just by adding one plate but in that case you can actually add four plates, one on each side so the chances of a zombie ever breaking that is nil. You could also use one of those poles made of steel also on a column to double the strength as the small pole alone is strong enough to hold up the bridge if they did actually break the column. I like to use those in places that could be critical and an easy target. There is likely other uses for that as well.

Here's a picture showing a bridge construction coming from a city out to an island and then to another mainland where there is a town atop a mountain.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:22 pm 

I may finally have some reason to check this game out, as it has been announced it will be offering Oculus Rift support, and so far, there are only nineteen other mainstream games with that claim (and two hundred indie games).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:16 am 

I wasn't too sure about the virtual but they did announce yesterday that they were approached to put it on the Xbox1 and PS4 which will be out in June of this year. It won't be 100% at that time as there is still much to do in the game yet and we were not expecting it on PC finished until at least the end of the year as we are still in Alpha 14 and another Alpha 15 will be coming out before it is Beta plus there is no assurance there won't be an Alpha 16 either.

This game may be one frightening game on Virtual Reality. I'm not even sure I would want to play it that way, ha ha. Needless to say it's becoming a very popular game to play due to the ability to play the game with many options. The biggest feature for me however it the ability to build whatever I want. As of Alpha 14, there are treasure maps being found now and many other quest by a supposed group watching the player. There will be factions involved in game play apparently. There are animals, zombies, feral zombies, and supposedly adding two groups of NPC characters. I can't imagine aligning with zombies so there has to be another group plus some of the notes found indicate that there are or will be.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:08 am 

I've been busy building a platform out in the ocean or perhaps it's a super large lake? It's a lot of work for one person but then that's the way it is with single player mode. I can't make all of the materials though because some of the key blocks are yet to have a recipe. Besides, it is taking me long enough as it is without adding the long time involved to make all of the materials. I do make some though. It's the only way you can level up the game enough to speed up the process as well. It's kind of hard working underwater as well since you only have a short period of time to be under without drowning. (1 minute)

So, the platform will be large when done but I am doing it on an as you go method with not drawn out plans. To get out to the platform, you can use the bike as it has a jump point to get onto the bridge since we don't want any stray zombies coming out to visit. The north end bridge is not connected to the North lands yet either but that's okay, I don't need to go there yet. I do however have an underground tunnel started as well, a bonus from mining under the water because lots of materials are required.

For now, here is a look at the first section. Nothing special of course but it does have a lower deck area just above the water line. I have built a split level house on it to hide the stairwell going down to it.

That is a patio at the upper level coming out from the office and bedroom area. I have furnished the inside so far and it looks okay for what it is.
Here is a look from the water level at the under section:

The piers in the water in places are eight meters deep to five meters deep at this end, some will be deeper. Good thing zombies can't swim!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:37 pm 

Finished another building on the platform. Just in case there were any guest I had to have a place for them to stay, however, zombies not welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:23 am 

These are cool buildings ;-) Thanks for the pics!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:55 pm 

You bet, it's fun to make them. I have been busy with other things of late since I have to get a garden going before it is too late. I also had a neighbors tree drop a limb onto my property and do damage to one of my trees so I have some clean up to do there also. Plus, the platform is taking a lot of time to do the under water building of the columns. It's deeper in some places and takes a bit longer to do plus since zombies can stay under water without worry of drowning I have to make it zombie proof as much as possible so I need a wall underwater as well. So you don't see much of the construction on the surface that is involved.

I do have a new building, a kind of diner but not as big as others I have made but a bit more plush than a regular diner. There is a waiting room in fact, ha ha. Not that it will ever be crowded unless zombies get in here somehow. Hopefully the Fun Pimps come through with the persistence factor and I won't have to start over again. It's a lot of work to have to lose.

I'll post some new pictures when I have something more of interest.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:38 pm 

Still waiting on A15 but I still build a little here and there. I have found some islands that I am connecting. The Fun Pimps are busy fixing any problems with the new consol releases and some of the team is working on building more points of interest for the game as well as the bandits and working on the AI. I'll post a picture of what one of my bridge connections look like from one island to another and you can see the jump points on the bridge that keep zombies from using it. With a bike it's easy to jump but you can run fast and jump just at the right spot and sail over the gap with no problem. I don't know if zombie dogs will be able to do that as none has so far but may be able to. However I think the code prevents them from doing it because they would just run off of a cliff then.

There are jump points on both ends of the bridge so the center part is protected.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:45 am 

Hi Utlo, thanks for the update. I also wait for A15..have not much time at the moment and spend it with Hearts of Iron 4...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:32 am 

Looks like Bandits won't be in A15 due to the AI not up to par. But, there will be other things and more zombies. Yeah, always more of those. I think the Pimps want us to die and if we survive it will get harder until we do. But at least it sounds like they are going to make some of the features optional which I prefer since I don't like playing the Vanilla game so much as I do building and then testing it out.

Mad Mole talked about some things coming that he couldn't talk about and I hope one of those is a boat as he was referring to fishing and couldn't talk about it. People keep asking about fishing but hey, give us a boat to fish from! Plus there are many islands out there with houses of something on them. He did mention before that a boat was better than a jet ski because it could have storage space on it. So, hopefully the boat is the surprise he is not able to talk about. Someone did ask about floating blocks on water and he said he couldn't talk about that at this time. So fingers crossed.

It looks like it will be 2017 for the finished game probably due to having to deal with bugs in the box and PS. I do like the idea that he has increased the visibility distance to 2.5 kilometers. Now you will be able to see mountains in the distance or towns. Another thing mentioned is they plan to make it harder to stay underground. Mad Mole was creating miner zombies so they may be able to dig down to us. Also the;y will have the zombie that follows you back to your base and then brings the horde there. There will also be more animal types too. Probably zombified, ha ha.

Another item mentioned was perhaps scuba gear as there will be underwater treasure to find and there will eventually be fauna under water. Or, I wouldn't put it past them, to have a zombie shark, ha ha.

I'm in no hurry because No Man's Sky is due I think August 10 for PS and PC. I'm looking forward to that one as I'll be playing it. I'm real selective with what I play or spend money on. Most of the games I play I put in hundreds of hours. I get the monies worth out of them. There is just too many other things to do than constantly play games though. Especially now that I was requested to help out by training some new people as the other people I trained moved on from the Engineering lab. I told them not to expect me to be doing the testing as I'm done with that and I'll just teach and verify. They are good with that so it at least won't be too stressful. Besides, it will help with buying a new Nvidia graphics card when they come out in August. I also want to upgrade to 16 gig memory and a new BD/CD player/recorder. Peace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:51 pm 

Getting mighty close to Alpha 15 and I have seen some previews of the new version, wow! Finally distant land views so you can see what is ahead a great distance, like mountains or desert and forest. Mountains that are way up there at last! So many nice things added. One of the most appreciated addition it the canyon in Navezgane version of play. It is soooo deep of a canyon you don't have a chance to survive if you fall. It's looking close to a Grand Canyon type with vertical walls on both sides. You can get down there by finding the trails but wouldn't want to do it in the dark for sure.

There are also points of interest along the way, like a large ranger station, broken bridge and whatever surprises they have in store. Several new blocks to play with and build with as well. Here's an update video: (dead man's gulch)
http://joelhuenink.tumblr.com/

There are also several new trader posts also in the game now and most everything will be in random gen except I don't think the canyon will but who knows? There will also be in Alpha 16 - boats at last. Yeah! It's really looking better each time as they tweak it. I'm looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:54 am 

I waited for A15 to restart again, also because of the Paradox releases (Hearts of Iron 4 and Stellaris), which cought my attention. But i wonder how the traders will survive the environment...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:37 am 

Won't be long for Alpha 15, maybe a couple of weeks. It's looking pretty good especially with the distant land view, I really like that and no more water that looks like the world is missing. I just hope they do a good job of debugging most of it. Mad Mole is presently playing it with a woman friend and he is getting killed easily, ha ha. He must feel pretty dumb about now. I can't believe he picks up so much junk along the way.

Well, I'm looking forward to the canyon though as that is something I was always wanting. Now if only they would get the boat resolved! I want a boat! It would be easy, they have a motor already just like they use it for the bike. The weather is still a bit off from what I saw last video he did. It just doesn't go from 100° to below freezing in a few minutes! That has been a bug forever I think. It is not implemented right. Hopefully it will get fixed.

I'm glad to see that they are still working on the electric and the NPC characters though, as that will certainly change the game a bit. Meantime, I'm playing No Man's Sky and having fun with it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:01 am 

I hope Alpha 15 is soon be here! I continued my game a bit, but i activated the zombies and its a bit crazy...the longer i play the game, the less i like the zombie part. So maybe i will skip them alltogether and just explore and build....or maybe start a bit of modding. Would be nice to have as a goal of the game to find out what disaster happend, and where all the people have gone...something like that.

Anyway i would love to have a boat! I missed that feature in the Elder Scoll Games and there was at least for Skyrim a Mod for that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:28 am 

Mad Mole is playing the Navezgane now looking for bugs and they are still working on the Random Gen part but I expect it will be out sometimes this month, perhaps in a couple weeks. I certainly agree about the Zombies but I do like the building aspect of things and then turn them on. I have been building bridges between the Islands and many other types of construction just to see what I can create that would make it hard for Zombies to get to you. SO far the one in the deep water seems to work if it is far out enough because they can't spawn in the water and if you are not close to land then they are not active as you are a biome away at least and they are not triggered if you are that far away. That's only on a red moon night though. Other wise they are not a major problem as I have so many ways to deal with them. The bridges are so far the best method for that! I just make jump points on the bridge to get on and off so they can't use it.

Once they get the NPCs in the game then it may turn into a new kind of game. I'm pretty sure you will have to accompany one to another place and get there alive like some of the ES games. When I was playing Blood Moon expansion to Morrowind, that was a problem but I was able to make them invisible for awhile which really helped because they always run into a fight even if it killed them. So I failed getting them to where they wanted to go yet it was their own fault. But if they were invisible and I could also, we could usually get past areas that had bandits and such without attracting attention. It was usually during a snow storm or foggy as well. It was a challenge but fun.

Speaking of mods, one I would like to see is a game with a finite number of zombies for each biome and no new spawns. Then you would hunt them down and kill them until they were all disposed. Each Biome would have at least a hundred zombies too. They could still walk from one biome to another so you'd have to go back and track them down and kill them all to win the game. Then Random Gen would work as well because they are actually finite also with a radiation zone surrounding it. It would just be larger in land.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:28 am 

In my current game i managed to survive the initial horde attack (dont think it was Blood Moon), but had to do a lot of repairs. Basically i made a deep ditch around my house and put in wood traps. For entry and exit i built a bridge to a small hill nearby and have this surrounded by ditch, traps and a fence. Nevertheless i think it would end up in just reparing during the day the damages they did during the night....forever.. but yes i also enjoy to build defenses, activate the zombies and look how the hold...

Funny, i did the same mit Blood Mone - make them invisible was essential :-)

Such a Mod would be great: to have a finite number of Zombies! I did not read into the Mod possibilities of 7 Days, but will do so once i find some time..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:32 am 

Mad Mole has been playing Alpha 15 looking for bugs and he dies often. It's funny that he gets frustrated when he dies. He says he will now focus on staying alive and get serious only to die again by some dogs, it's funny. He says it is harder now but it still looks about the same to me. There are some new places to explore however and they are looking good.

The trader outpost are pretty good to and they have some vending machines for buying food and drink but it's not cheap. However, it is handy to be able to just buy a couple jars of Golden Rod. Oh yes, and you will be happy to hear that you will be able to brew your own beer in the game now. That's kind of cool but you have to find the chemistry book for brewing. They have added a chemistry station that you have to build to be able to make some of the items now. (Beer, Antibiotics, etc.) You can usually find a work bench in one of the outpost too and use it to make what you need to. It was mentioned that eventually there will be a boat in the game as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:19 am 

I have not downloaded the Alpha 15 experiment version as of yet, been too busy and am waiting for some of the bugs to be fixed. I understand they have had a couple updates to it and even at that, there has not been that many bugs that impacted the game play. Typical bugs had to do with things like you could steal items from the traders fort and then sell them back to him, or the funny one where Joel Mad Mole was pressing his button to talk and his pick ax went wild and was destroying his base, ha ha. But no complaints of crashing that I have seen or read of from videos or remarks on the forum. All in all, it looks like it will be released within a week or so. Then I'll download it for sure.

Of course with the advent of the new fall TV season, many of the shows that I like are coming back on with the new episodes. Plus being called back to work for awhile to train new employees is taking away some of my retirement time. But that's okay, maybe I'll have enough to buy a new 1070 card which is rated the 4th card down based on the 3D graphics tests. I think the Titanium card is #1. At any rate, the 1070 is about three times faster than my present card not to mention it has 8 gig of memory and runs at 1.6ghz. I notice also that they reduced the price of it to $400. What I find odd though is the 980 cost more? It's score is about the same as the 1070 but has less memory and uses more power. The 1070 runs at 150 watts. My GTX 560 ti runs at 170 watts so I'll save a few watts to boot.

I've had real good luck with the GTX 560 ti over the years and it still runs good but with the new games if starts to drop in frame rates since it only has 1 gig of memory and that means disk loading of textures which slows things down a bit. With the 8 gig of DDR5, textures should be no issue. Besides, I may not be able to afford one later so while I'm working a little now I should get it while I can afford it. I know what it's like not being able to just go out and buy a high end card and I know in other countries it is even harder to do. A 1070 should last me for at least another three years before the state of art will require something new and greater.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:37 am 

Hm somehow i could not find the experimental version of Alpha 15 - i guess its in the "Beta" tab of the steam entry, just as usual...?

Anyway i can wait a week or two more :-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:22 am 

I haven't looked for it myself but some videos mentioned where to get it but like you I'm not in a hurry and would rather wait a little longer to let them debug it more. I am anxious however to check out the distant terrain and from what I have seen, there are some nice sheer type walls again which I really like.

Someone mentioned that there were very little amounts of POI in some seeds except for the large cities which now there are more of. But the cities also have a much larger selection of buildings that are new. I have tested a few different seeds in Alpha 14 and it is amazing how that effects what you get. The one I was playing last has so many islands and large bodies of water to play in that I wish they would hurry up with a boat. Having a boat would really make it much more interesting and much of what I have built works well with a boat for access.

I have seen several videos of Alpha 15 now and it appears that the weather system is working much better as I like the thunder storms. I just wish they would have a harder rain though. The storms in NMS are pretty good too. It only stands to reason that if there was a nuclear war, rain would be highly radioactive or at least toxic and a hazmat suit would be useful then. They claim it will come in handy though so I'm sure they have some plans for it. Watching videos by Mad Mole is kind of boring because he seems to take the idea of crafting and inventory management way too serious and loses the idea of fun. I don't think he would make for a good multi player, ha ha. He seems to complain way too much. He is trying to hard to prove a point that he can survive since he died so many times before. Another thing I notice with him is he seems to always build wooden bases and no idea of how to reinforce them.

If you can make a 1/8 concrete slab that can be upgraded, by putting them back to back upgraded to steel, zombies will not be able to penetrate it. You can't place anything in the block space it occupies but you can walk through it so that works well and if you want to put spikes around the wall, all one has to do is dig down one block then place the spike so there are many ways to build a very strong base. It would have been nice if those burning gas drums actually could set you on fire then you would have a constant burning drum that you could bury in the ground that they would have to walk over and catch fire. Unfortunately, you can stand in the flames and it does nothing. It also does not project any heat. All it is good for is light at night. You can pick them up though and it would have been nice if we could use them for heat or as a trap.

NMS released another patch for the PS4 so the PC patch should be out by this weekend. I haven't had a any problems to speak of with that game so the patch for me isn't such a big deal but I'm sure it is for those that have not been able to play it. I'm thinking of getting the GTX 1070 Nvidia card. It's about 3.5 times better than the one I have now. I'm more interested in the memory it has since I only have 1 gig of graphic memory at present and HD textures take up memory. The 1070 has 8 gig of graphic memory. They sell fast so I have to buy one when it is available and most are selling them for $400 US Dollars here. That's a deal considering the 980 with less memory and slower speeds sell for more and use more power.

What started out as a temporary job to train people where I use to work is turning into a time consuming situation. I expected to work 3 to 5 hours for a few days a week but of late it has been creeping up to 8 hours a day. It's nice of course making as much in less time than when I was working full time but I am supposed to be retired not working! Hopefully I can dial back the hours so I can have time to play some 7 days and NMS. I don't mind helping them out of course but I don't want it to last so long as I'm no spry Rooster anymore, ha ha.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:28 am 

Well, had to try it out and see what the fuss was about. I'm impressed with the new Terrain in Random worlds now. They included a viewer to see kind of what you will find such as how much water and types of biomes. I found one that was fairly flat with rolling hills and a whole lot of water, almost to the point that if I had a boat I could travel most of the map. That's why I want a BOAT. Maybe for Christmas? ha ha.

Some seeds give you a map full of high mountains too so you can generate either type. Lots of new buildings now and the did put the traders in Navezgane but not yet in Random Generation. The buildings are there but not the NPC characters yet. However, it's not a loss as you can find many dispensers around the land where you can purchase food and drink. If you get lucky and find a treasure map and then find the treasure, you may find thousands of Dukes which you can then spend in the machines and buy lots of food and drink. Once the traders are active in Random Generation though you will be able to sell and buy other things like weapons and tools and there is plenty of things to sell. You may even be able to buy the parts to make a bike.

It seems the Zombies are much more aggressive now and very dangerous. Just when you think you have things under control they can overwhelm you. They are much more sneaky now as they just rise up from laying on the ground or in a house and catch you off guard. The dogs are still a pain to deal with as well. But that's what people wanted, a harder game. There is the ability to play Dead is Dead as well if you think you won't die. That's where when you die it's game over. No respawn on a bed so you have to start a new game.

The water looks much better now and the weather conditions are back and working better. It can rain for hours in a biome. When you start, you now have the option to generate a small area to play in which is actually about the size of Navezgane or increase the size to very large. The editor will be improved on over time where you will be able to control how high the mountains are or how deep the water is. You can get into the XML files however and do that now but you need to know a little of how it works. They are putting tutorials in the Forum to help out.

Seeing this game evolve over the past two years it has changed many times but each time it gets a bit better with new ways to do things and new buildings but now they are taking some of the ideas that modders have done and putting them in the game as an option in some cases. I'd still like to seem them have it so you could have a finite number of zombies to kill and then hunt them down and rid the world of them as a goal. It wouldn't be an easy chore because there may be 10,000 of them to start with and they could move around so you'd have to track them down and of course stay alive. Perhaps every time you die, it's adds another hundred back in the game. That would make it a really cool challenge.

Here's a couple shots from the game:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:38 am 

Wow i must say: i cant wait for A15! Thanks for trying it out ;-) I read yesterday on their website, that the release is very near.

Once my workload decreases a bit i will read into the modding tutorials - maybe you can mod a zombie limit somehow in. I dont know yet if they have a scripting language in the game, or how far modding is possible.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:48 am 

It's out! A15 hit yesterday and it is really cool. I'm playing the random Gen maps and it includes a preview of the map you will get based on the seed name. I like lots of water so I tried a few names to see what came up and when I put in LandOfOz it turned out to be a great water world with some really nice mountains as well.

5 is a very large map as you can specify from 1 to 5. You also need to be very careful now as at the radiation zones (red) parts of the towns and water actually go into those zones now and you might think you are being attacked but you will see a symbol showing radiation. It's dangerous traveling at night for that reason.

It's going to be tough because the dogs run faster now and they are dangerous. Traders are in also where you can sell and buy. Two items go for good revenue, gas and gun powder. I pick up a few barrels of gas at the station and then sell them for some Duke coins that can be used in dispenser machines around the area which have food and drink so if you are desperate and in need of either food or drink you can get some to survive using the coins. I find that one of the best places to start out is the desert due to the Yucca plants that provide fruit and can be made into a drink or food so you can live on it for awhile and there is plenty of it around. You can also carry a lot more empty bottles in a stack too. Looks like I'll be having some fun with this.

Also of note, No Man's Sky is coming out with a large patch this month near the latter part. They say it's a big one! I have no idea what is in it. Hopefully some good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:48 am 

A question: where do you get a preview of the map you are generating. When starting a new game you only have the option to name your world.

Anyway looking forward to test A15!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:34 pm 

Hi JB, sorry gone so long, lot of things were going on. I did some upgrading to the computer with a GTX 1070SC and more memory. The graphic card was so big 11.5" that it hit the hard drive so I had to move it and then the cable that plugged into the hard drive was upside down which made for more problems but got it in only to have another problem like the internet connection was lost (mother board based LAN) . I spent time trying to find the problem but figured that I must have shocked the Intel Lan when I touched the printed circuit board on the back side as I had to remove that panel to move the Hard Drive. I fixed that with a PCI exp Lan. Then I decided to upgrade to more memory, from 8 to 16 gig only I wound up with 24 gig instead. All I can say is when playing 7 days to die, it is soooo smooth now when you turn without any jerking or chatter. I put the vertical Sync back on and now have a solid 60 FPS. Without the sync, it varies up to well over a hundred and drops to the 90s. Figured 60 was just fine as I wanted to crank up everything else and it looks great now.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I'm sure you have found that by now when you downloaded A15 stable. If not, it is the same menu that you use to select a new game of continue and listed as editor about mid way down the menu.

It helps a lot to see what you are getting as I have found some fantastic water worlds which I really enjoy playing, if only I had a boat! I also found one I call the alps as it is full of mountains with little water. Both are great for building in to create some really great game play.

The game now levels up with you creating a bigger challenge as the days go on and the hoards grow in size with various types of Zombies. I watched a few videos where the players had no idea there was some new zombies in the game and were not at all prepared for them. Needless to say, they didn't last long before they died.

I like the random world better as you don't know what to expect for terrain even though you see the preview ahead of time. It only shows the type of biomes you will be getting and the water amount in the world along with how many cities and towns are going to be present. I found one map with 7 very large cities but you have to be really careful now as some cites and towns extend into the radioactive zone and if you don't keep checking your map, you could walk right into one and die before you have a chance to escape it. Especially at night when you can't see that well. Many biomes now have the storms come in and make it really hard to see especially the morning fogs. But that makes the game that much more interesting.

Underground is still viable for a safe place to hold up as well as finding a deep area in water and building a column then widen it at the top as zombies can't swim, at least so far! Everyone seems to enjoy the new version especially the distant view of landscape. Water is improved a lot.
Happy Gaming.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:31 am 

A15 is turning out to be pretty good and not much in the way of bugs either. I like that you can preview the type of world you get in the random generation so you can see approximately how many cities and towns you get or if there is sufficient water like lakes and oceans to play around with. So maybe they aren't really oceans but they are large enough bodies of water to take awhile to swim across and zombies usually don't spawn under water so there is something to be said for that.

I prefer large bodies of water even though no boat yet but it is supposed to be coming eventually. A16 won't be out for awhile yet so lots of time to build and once again, this is supposed to remain persistent this time. At least they don't have to alter the terrain editor which is usually what causes the necessity to start over. There will be plenty of unopened land left when it does come out so that the bandits and such will still be able to show up in untouched areas of terrain. That's why I'm just staying in certain areas and building there.
Here's a picture showing the type of terrain and water features.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:33 pm 

Really enjoying the game now with my new upgrades. Here is a picture using the Pascal 1070:
Maybe another:
What is it? Well it's a zombie proof place to go up on top as it is made with the new upgrade of metal to Stainless Steel. It does shine but the time of day does not show the reflection. It is very shiny however and not you can not see your reflection in it as the game prevents that from happening. Why, I don't know. Maybe when the game is finished they will allow you to see your reflection in the game but for now now chance. Others can see you though as video on You Tube shows. In this last picture the AA is 2X and reflection is on low because I prefer it that way. I'm pretty sure if I had turned it up it gets way to bright and affects the water.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:14 pm 

Utlo thanks for the updates! I was a bit "off" the last weeks as i changed my job beginning of November. I hope i can devote some time soon for a proper test of the current 7DTD version! I also need to read a bit into your new graphic card as i also should upgrade rather soon...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:47 am 

Hi JB, I suppose you read my post in the computer section on the graphics card? The one thing I did stress is the size of the card being 11.5" long. That's something to be concerned with if you have a small case. But other than that It runs really quiet, fan hardly ever turns on and I have had no need to use the over clock function so I keep it turned off.

I don't do videos at least not yet on the game but I follow some that post pretty regularly. I look for people that build things in the game as it is one of the fun things to do. One group is building several places in Lord Of the Rings. You can find that under the name Rongo the Bold, and also for building really great projects check out ZNATION. This guy is a zombie killer but builds stuff like I do but I'd consider him a master at it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:16 am 

Patch 15.1 is out and supposed to be stable they say but I have found a small problem with it. I'm sure their answer is to start a new game but hey, they keep telling us that it is now supposed to be persistent. In other words no need to restart a new game. I'm tired of building stuff and then having to start all over again especially when I build large long involved construction that I can't continue to have around in the game. I want to build another giant pyramid that internally is a large complex but I'm not going to do that if it isn't going to last and at present, the method to save out the prefab is not up to date. When that happens then perhaps I can at least save it out and preserve it but it they keep changing things then it might not work in the new builds.

Mean time, it's getting to just be the same old start a game, kill zombies and try to survive. With over 3000 hours into the game I think I'll let them get the game a bit more actual persistent so what I build will remain in the game. They will be adding new traps, electricity, and many new blocks as well as the new crafting method again changed in Alpha 16. I don't mind the Alpha stages as long as you don't have to keep restarting the game over each time. Each new Alpha has a lot more content but unfortunately sometimes that breaks the earlier games. This is well over two years now so hopefully it will be finished this coming year, even if it takes all year to do it. I want it done so I can build up the world.

Mean time, there are other games I can play and I have been playing No Man's Sky a lot more now since they have been working on it and putting out some new content.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:00 am 

I think the problem with the save game breaking might drag on a bit. As i am not a big builder its not so much an issue..but i also dont have 3000 hourse yet into the game ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:18 am 

Building a 60° pyramid. This has to be done with physical integrity to work. Only half high and only one side done so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:54 am 

Hi Utlo, that looks great :-) How long did you work on that?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:39 am 

Hi JB. Just finished the outside last night and that includes the interior floors being done. I can lay them out anyway I like now and if you don't know how to get to the second floor then you just don't get up there, ha ha. I also put in a ladder that goes from the top floor (level 7) to the sub basement floor in an emergency. The sub basement will have at least five levels to it as I just finished the first sub basement floor. You can't get down there either unless you can find the trap door. You can get lost in this thing because it is large like a warehouse with many walls.

It's a long way up there and you can't stand still or you slide back down rather fast since it is 60°.
You also have to use the drawbridge to get onto the platform and then go to a little shack that takes you down to the underground and pops up in the first floor inside the pyramid.

Looking up on of the sides to the top.
I might add that the walls on the first level is six thick, and less as you go up until you reach the very top which is all solid.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:18 am 

Wow this looks incredible! Reminds me a bit on Stargate :-) I have 7DTD still a bit on hold and wait for the next big update...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:00 pm 

Looks like Alpha 16 may be arriving this month or at least the option to test it out for final debug. Lots of new things added and probably some surprises. I noticed that there is a mod someone made for Alpha 15 that is awesome with almost too many things to do. All kinds of foods you can make with it, new vehicles, new animals that are very dangerous like snakes, leopards, wild dogs, spiders, etc. They say that the zombies aren't as hard to survive with but the new animals in this mod is. That makes for a hard to survive world to play in now. I don't know what will be in Alpha 16 though but I'm sure they made it harder now as well. One to watch out for the release date.