Arwen's Realm

A Virtual Community
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:14 am

Welcome
Welcome to Arwen's Realm!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: No Man's sky
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:28 am 

This is looking like it is coming along pretty well now and this latest interview with information on the technology is impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-kifCYToAU

This is a visual video of the actual game play that will be in the game: (about 15 minutes long)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9w6AJxyD18

Apparently it is going to be on the PS4 at least and hopefully the PC as well which then would include the Xbox too. Since it was discussed that future machines with multiple processors will make it capable to add much more detail and thing to see and interact with I'd say that the PC is paramount to games like this. The interview is approx. 1/2 hour long and very informative with some impressive graphics.

I'm glad they are concentrating on the the generation of the interactive planets however because that to me is what I like better than just flying around in space which has plenty of just that, space! My son plays Elite Dangerous and with all of the things he can do it still lacks the excitement of exploration on a close up person experience like spending as long as you want exploring a planet even though it is generated as you go without any need to preserve memory so the game can regenerated itself exactly the same each time to anyone that explores it. I'm wondering however if things that change on the planet would reflect that over time or will it always be the exact same? Since they are using voxels to do that, will you be able to build something? Or is it going to be non interactive in that regard? This is the kind of thing I will be watching for though.

There are games being done based on the Voxel Farm engine by the company that is making it so I'm sure their games will incorporate all of the technology they are including in it and those will be generated and any changes will remain changed from what I have seen. The game Everquest Next will be that way as well and they too are using the Voxel Farm engine only modified for their own personal use to create the game they are making or as I understand it, it is like a plug in for generating landscape with the tools to interact with it.

With games like this coming out, along with games like Star Citizen and Elite, people will be updating their equipment to keep up but the easier way may to buy a PS4 since you know it will be optimized and may be much cheaper in the long run than to buy a new PC which would be at the least a grand but likely more. Everyone that has the i7 processor and decent graphics card should be okay.

Post subject: Re: No Man's sky
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:55 am 

Oh yes after years of neglect we have three epic "space games" on hand. I also looking forward to the exploration part on the planets of No Man's Sky. For Elite Dangerous they plan the possiblity of landing on planets for the near future, but i think it will be more like in the original Elite 3: docking on a Spaceport on the planet, but no real exploration. At least this is my impression from what i read so far...

My main concern for No Man's Sky is, that it seems to be developed on the Console and ported to PC. In most cases where this happens, i got mixed results at best for my taste (like Oblivion/Skyrim UI). But i guess i will have to wait for a playable demo to see how the finished product turns out for a non-console player like myself...

Still this is one of the games i am really lokking forward this year!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:25 am 

From an interview where it was question and answer, the developer was asked directly if people would be able to build their own place and the answer was NO! That's a shame as far as I'm concerned that you would have to spend so much time on the planet you start out on and not be able to build your own defenses! Perhaps they will change their mind but for now it looks like that game is not as good as what I saw on Planet Explorer where you can at least build whatever you want including furniture, vehicles, ships, etc.

I'm still on board for Planet Explorer only I'm waiting until the game is finished to see how it turns out but it's looking pretty good so far. It is dangerous though and there is a demo version that you can play to get a feel for the game which in and of itself offers a lot of game play. My Son still thinks that Elite will still offer landing on planets and the ability to explore but we'll see how that turns out. Hopefully he is right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:10 am 

I also wait for the final release of PLanet Explorer and have some other games on my radar like Life is Feudal and Rising World. Both look promising but they are still far away from finished.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:49 pm 

I watched a more recent video discussion of No Man's Sky and something impressed me with something they are doing. Having done games myself in the past, I was always fascinated with creating randomness in a game so it would be different whenever starting a new game. In one game I did called Astron IV, I used a method to create a random maze within an asteroid but for the game to work it would have to always be capable of having a way to get to the end of the objective since it had several levels as well and you needed to be able to get to them without a total dead end.

I had to try so many games in order to verify that a dead end didn't happen and if it did I'd have to correct the code and try something else. So when you read about procedural worlds and such, I always am concerned with repetition that can result which is another aspect of randomness. Hello Games in No Man's Sky is using that and what they are doing is pretty interesting to me.

Since worlds will be created on circumstances of environment they needed to verify if their code can produce the variations they think it should but since it would take thousands of hours and maybe hundreds of games to see if it did they had to come up with a quick way to verify it so they could make adjustments. Not even Alpha players could possibly encounter enough variations to confirm what they needed to know in a timely manner before releasing the game.

So they had to get creative and I like the way they did it. They wrote code to send out drones so to speak, to venture our into the universe and record planets they encountered and send back videos of it so they could see the results of how the code was handling it. That way they could make adjustments to the code to get better results and less repetition. I have to hand it to them as a darn good innovative method to do that. That's impressive to me!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:40 am 

Randomness was always a big important point for me in games - and that across the genres!

I never got into programming myself (i stoped with Basic and Amiga Basic...) but i did a lot of scripting together with a friend in Operation Flashpoint and the Arma Series: the most difficult things was to randomize the AI behaviour and make it more realistic (e.g. an AI Soldier uses the terrain features)...we got quite far with that - even to the point that we created a mission we almost never won :-)

Back to topic: do you refer to this arcticle?

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/ ... chadourian

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:58 am 

Hadn't seen that one, I saw a video interview that discussed it but having seen other videos they also discuss the drones being used to find planets with interesting features. That's a lengthy article you linked, might read it when I have more time. Thanks. (Although it's easier to watch a video on the subject, ha ha)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:37 pm 

Here is some footage with sounds of No Man's Sky. Sound makes a big difference it appears. Looks like they are making some progrress and preparing a release date for PS4 and PC.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_E2mF ... k11n_WLeQQ

Video compliments of Cobra TV and Hello Games. So, still no actual specs or information on actual game play other than what has been said before. Be curious how others feel about this video and if it strikes any interest?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:59 am 

I have not picked up the game, at least at this point, but every video I have seen so far demo'ing the game has looked very cartoonish, which is a bit disappointing. Lots of bright colours, grass blades ten cms across, ships and cities made of lego.

A bit disappointing, but perhaps the game is aimed towards a fairly young audience.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:19 am 

Yes at first i also had doubts if i like the style of the game, but the more i see (there was a 18m video released this week), the more its no problem for me. I am quite sure i will pick it up as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:53 am 

The video looks pretty good and they did explain a few things. Regarding the look of the game however, it's a tradeoff in my opinion and doesn't really distract that much from the game because it's all about game play anyway. Minecraft looks like crap as far as graphics but yet it was a big success due to the game play and that's really what counts.

Elite and Star Citizen is big money production which No Man's Sky is basically an Inde that has a small staff but what fascinates me is the exploration aspect of things where you can actually land on a planet that has a lot to see while the big money games have not gotten that far yet, it's just a lot of flying around in space and landing on docks. In No Man's Sky, you could spend weeks on a planet.

Like anything else, no game is perfect and no game is for everyone but from my perspective, games are improving overall as technology improves and sometimes the simplest games can be the most fun. I suppose it depends on what you want to invest time wise into a game and what your immersion requirements are. I've played some sophisticated games over the years but many of them are loaded with bugs. That can ruin a game experience as well.

I look at it this way, with No Man's Sky, they are breaking ground with a new type of procedural system which in and of itself is fascinating and could lead to some new types of games. Personally, I like the idea of procedural development but I know it may take some years before it becomes what we all would hope it will be. Consider the art work in existing games and how long that takes while a procedural game can create untold artistic work depending on the parameters developed. It is a form of artificial intelligence as well. I'd love to have been involved with the creation of it myself. I see some fantastic possibilities for it and it is only limited by our imagination.

Considering that the developers had to send out drones to see what the planets looked like would indicate that when exploring the galaxy who knows what will be encountered since the algorithm has so many possibilities to create thousands of different things. I'd be interested in seeing some of those possibilities. In the game I'm playing, I am always surprised by what I encounter that is generated randomly and it is only limited by the number of parameters included in the program. As time goes on, those parameters will eventually contain many more variations as this is in it's infancy. One has to start somewhere and it will grow from that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:27 pm 

Just a bit of information regarding this game. I've read or heard that at one time it was an infinite Universe and also an infinite Galaxy so which is it? Apparently both it seems. Let's define infinite first: In this case it means more than you could ever live to experience because even at one second per planet, it would take billions of years to see them all. So if you live to be a hundred, don't expect to cover much of this game at all.

Repetition is another concern. Well, if it truly is procedural, you probably will see a lot of barren planets because for life to exist as we know at least, requires a fine window of conditions to have life as we would recognize. But if that only was a fraction of a percent, that alone could involve billions of planets. It just may take a very long time before you see many of them however.

It also appears that the game is not going to be an MMO as such but it will be connected to a data base however which will serve to accumulate data available to all players. So if you discover a particular planet with fantastic life on it, it will be logged once you upload the data, which you get paid credits for in the game, then others will become aware of that planet and if they can get there they too will see it.

Getting back to the first question however, which I got sidetracked from, it is both in the sense that they are keeping some surprises secret but did reveal that there is certainly more than one Galaxy in the game. It's just that everyone will start the game in a unique solar system in the same Galaxy which alone you probably would never see another player for a very long time if it was an MMO. So why bother with servers and such when you can play the game on your own computer and don't need to be hooked up. But when you do you can upload any information of systems you have discovered if they be original. Which kind of means that you'd have to play the game a pretty long time before you would ever be able to travel to another galaxy anyway because it may require some new technology which they say you can discover along the way. (perhaps closer to the center of the starting Galaxy?)

Another item of discussion is the sentries. Not all planets will have them and I'd suspect that they are predominately around planets that have a lot of life. Which means that some planets may be a gold mine so to speak of ore or resources to pillage. I didn't think they would have it so you couldn't kill anything or over mine planets since there are so many in the game anyway.

To get a good idea of just what is in the game, here is a link to their blog where they reveal some of the finer parts of the game:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/08/ ... -mans-sky/

This is going to be one of those games that you could come back to and play for years it would appear and still discover many new things. Whereas in most all MMOs, it's a drag eventually because everyone has already been there and done that. Still no release date however. There will also be other features of the game which are much like any space type game involving trade, pirates, etc. The big deal is here that you can land on planets and if they are perhaps too dangerous to land on then you may still be able to if your ship and suit is updated to protect you. You'll find most all of this information in the link though. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:59 am 

Thanks for the link - its really a fascinating project, i hope they pull through with their plans. I havnt read anything about modding posibility but i hope it will be possible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:53 am 

So there is a new trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9a9p4l2wBU

And a release date for the consoles - sadly no date known for the PC...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:10 am 

Thanks, forgot about that one for awhile. I'm more curious to see what there is actually to do on a planet because Sean said that if you wanted to stay on the planet you could but why if there is nothing to do? Especially since he said that there would be no building except for blasting holes to make a place to stay. Mining would be good if you can do that and then sell it to space stations to get parts to make a better ship that can go further and faster.

As far as the PC version or Xbox even, since Playstation has contracted with HelloGames, then they will have first run on the game. They want to sell PS4 consols and need games that are exclusive to attract attention and make people want to buy one to play a game that is not on another platform. Eventuallyl however, it will be on other platforms and that's okay too because they will by then have all of the bugs out, see what improvements that could be put in and when the PC version does come out hopefully it will be a better game.

Besides, Once 7 days to die is finalized, then I'll be busy building. As it is now, I have already built an expressway above ground in the air with intersections and tunnels through mountains but I'm not going to do anything more with it because it will not be persistent. Alpha 13 will break it so why spend the time on it? I just wanted to test out some ideas and build some to which I learned a lot as to shortcuts, better construction methods, etc. Now that there is steel in the game I only need a single column to build up to the highway in many places so I can cover more ground quicker in construction. It's cool up there 10 to 15 meters high and hardly ever see a zombie up there. On the bike, I can travel long distance undisturbed and have stations along the way for gas and stops for exploring by having a tower take me to the surface.

I did this in Mythruna and it was really neat but in that game there was no one around, not even an animal. So it got boring. At least here, I still have to deal with zombies and they are getting smarter. The new updates will have all new zombies and even a tracker zombie that can follow scent so you have to break the scent along the way or it will follow you back to your hideout. Plus I'm anxious to see the new water physics and features where you can now flood places.

I like to wait to see reviews on games before I invest money and time into them and besides, like with Fallout 3, I get the game with all of the add-ons and basically bug free. I expect however that 7 Days to Die will keep me busy for a good while.

Glad to see that No Man's sky at least now has a release time frame. That latest video looked pretty good so they are working on it. Same goes with 7 days, it's looking better every time they have a new release. Looking back at the old blocky minecraft type terrain, there is much improvement since then with many new prefabs, building blocks, furniture, and weapons, armor, etc. It's only going to get better. Peace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:20 pm 

Interview in one of our austrian newespapers (in englisch):

http://derstandard.at/2000031745026/No- ... l-like-god

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:11 am 

Thanks for the link, that is a pretty good interview and I'm surprised that he said the PC version would also be in June. That's very interesting! I was sure that Sony PS4 would be exclusive for awhile before being on the PC but that apparently isn't the case. They will still sell PS4s however because there is a market for games like that on consols since most parents would rather they just get a consol for their children rather than having to deal with virus programs, spyware, updates, and many of the other issues with owning a PC. Consols can also allow for social activity also but don't have the problems with hardware that the PC can present since it is more venerable to outside access and hacking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:28 am 

On Steam a preorder is already possible...so its coming in June!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:34 pm 

Good to know plus I am interested to see what kind of response it gets.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:13 am 

http://thespinoff.co.nz/14-03-2016/hype ... -mans-sky/

This is an article that is recent, actually today I think. The video at the bottom of the article however is pretty cool. The article is mostly about the hype involved with the game and how people may be disappointed based on their expectations regardless of what the game actually does offer. That can happen for sure especially when there is little known about the game in general other than some videos but no actual detail. Like it talks about trading but how do you obtain those resources that you are going to trade which is the details. The article does explain some of that so it's a good article in general that deals with the hype of games in general and how the compare with the actual game play or lack of.

So we have around 3 months to wait to find out just what the hype or lack of it is all about and what actual game play is available and how it works. That is really the key to any game, looks can be nice but if no game play then what is left except perhaps exploring which may or may not be repetitive over time. Hopefully there will be enough diversity (which it tends to appear like it will) that it won't get boring and there will be sufficient game play to make it all worth while. I'm still in the dark about how you can obtain the necessary resources to get off of the planet you start on. Sean made the remark that you really didn't even have to get off of the planet if you wanted to stay there but then it was mentioned that you wouldn't be able to build things there so why would anyone want to stay? Those are the kind of questions that are still unanswered. It's a lot of speculation especially when you have two other games out now that offer kind of the same thing with Elite and Star Citizen. But those games to me still lack what I consider the essential items in the game to make it worth buying. You still can't get out of your ship and go walk around and explore things like caves or do mining and things away from your ship. I don't want to be tethered to a ship.

So I'm in no hurry to get No Man's Sky until I can see some of the details of the game play and then decide if it has what I consider something I want to do. But I hope it will contain enough of those things to make it worth getting because I can see where it could have longevity with the explorations alone but I still need something to do that is interesting other than just exploring to keep my attention and interest. Otherwise I could just watch other players videos. Elite also claims that the goal is to get to the center of the Galaxy but then is it all about just flying through space with some sight seeing? I want the ability to be creative in a game especially when it comes to survival and I'm no fan of linear game playing. It will be interesting how this all turns out. Fingers are crossed!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:50 am 

I see it in a similar way Utlo. Considering the movies i have seen so far, it looks a bit too much streamlined and linear (in terms of exploration and combat). So will wait until its released to read and see more of actual people playing the game.

Another point is have not read anything is: will it be possible to Mod this game (on PC at least)...i do hope so.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:59 am 

Here's a more recent video of No Man's Sky with some play by someone that had a chance to try it out. It shows some new animal types and he describes some of what he experienced in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGXDCV9HiZ4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:05 am 

Thanks Utlo for the link. There is one thing which always bother me in these movies of the game: the walking part seems like moving a camera, not like a person would move. I dont know if the player does this on purpose, or if its the general feeling of the walking part of the game...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:54 am 

I don't know if they have the option or not to bounce as you walk but perhaps it will be in the game when it comes out. I expect most of the game action will be in space though so maybe they just haven't worked on the walking part yet. Guess we'll see when it comes out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:43 pm 

Getting closer to June release of this game. Something new has also being added that really intrigues me and that is procedural music! Who wants several planets to have the same music? So, the band that Sean likes the music of and managed to get to perform music for the game is called 65daysofstatic. They mostly play instrumental music and much is ambient but has rock overtones. The leader of the band however has a big interest in procedural music and they worked out a deal to create procedural music for the game.

I have seen some done before in a music program I have where you have a list of rifts in different keys with sound effects as well as instruments and the program will select from those files and make up a song which can include vocals if you have those in files. I have made a few and I have to say it is impressive. So procedural music is of interest to me to see just how far you can take it. There is music in nature so it's not something that is not possible because you can hear rhythm in many areas of nature from ocean waves, babbling brooks, to white noise like rain and the wind. But for music to sound good you have to have some composure to it which is the challenge to see how they can match the music to the type of planet

That could be hard to do because they might have a light airy theme to a dark foreboding planet or vice versa. I wouldn't like the music to sound like midi either but they will be using actual instrumental sounds which should be good. One of Hello Games shows had them playing music to match the game and it sounded pretty darn good but that wasn't procedural. So I am anxious to hear what results come from procedural music. Meaning no planet will have the same music! That's impressive.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:41 pm 

Almost here. Tuesday is for the PS4 and Friday is for the rest including PC which I will be getting. I hope the download doesn't take forever though. I expect I won't be able to download it right away unless it is available after midnight of the 11th. I'm sure it has to be at least 10 gig or more. But maybe not since everything is procedurally created.

Sean has already put out a few patches for those that are reviewers and those that are testers. The last one 103, has a list of many things that were added from the Gold disk version. So those that are playing it will have to start anew in order to see the new changes. That means any progress made in the game so far is for naught! Too bad for them.

Things like planets up to 10x larger? I thought there were planets already the size of earth which would take a long time to explore. Plus they are going to add the capability to build a base. Now that's what is necessary anyway and I'm glad they saw that. Some caves will be as high as close to 400 ft inside, wow! You will also be able to make pets or also alliances with some of the animals by how you treat them or feed them. Some will also mine for you or protect you or kill you! Which is which? ha ha. I suppose if I gave a poisonous food to one they might turn on you. In all, they added several new things based on feed back they got from reviewers and testers. Now that's a company that listens to people to make the game better. I'll give an update once the game is out and working.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:58 am 

I hope in Europe Friday means also Friday morning and not Friday afternoon as with some launches...i will also post my impressions once i had a chance to play it! But i agree, Base building is a great addition and was really needed!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:22 am 

So i had a chance to play NMS for a couple of hours and can give a short list of impressions:

Well overall i tend to like it :-) To be honest it has some serious setbacks for me, but overall i think it has a lot of potential and i hope they continue to work on the game.

* I like to slow pace of the game and the beginning. You should feel to be rather alone in the outer rim of the Universe and it feels that way.

* The flying from a planet to space and between planets i like a lot. It gives you a sense of the vast distances out there.

* The surface of the planets look ok for me - the graphics are not realistic but overall i like them.

* The structures on the Planet i found so far are rather simple and repetitive. Repetivity is maybe the word which describes best what you do and find on the Planet (but i have not left the beginning star system yet so i only know one alian race).

* The flying of the spacefract i am not so happy with: its a bit simple and very often i have the feeling the spacecraft is flying on its own and i am limited to control the thing. I hope they somehow implenent the option for "realism" in flying on plantes.

* The walking is very good, all my fears were wrong.

* Performance is a big issue. I have a very good (although not super good) configuration but i experience quite hefty frame drops. Apparently it has something to do with the engine, because i found already some tips to improve it. I hope it will be improved with the next few patches.

* Overall i dont like the "console style" but this is also true for all bethesta games since Oblivion. I just dont like ports of console games to PC, but that is just my opinion.

* I also hope the add the possibility of building structures and maybe space stations.

So to sum it up: despite its repetivety and frame drops the game keeps me playing on. The slow pace and the freedom you can do is something i enjoy a lot. If they add more variatey and more realism (e.g. more AI interaction on the planet, space and in Space Station), it would be truly a crazy good game.

edit: cleared up double post about performance

Last edited by JBuford on Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:59 am 

Thanks for the update and experience JB. My Son ordered it and got one for me so I was lucky and got the Bonus ship although I did not accept it at first.
I am on PC of course and the frame rate isn't all that great but it does seem to run pretty smooth for me even at a lower frame rate. However, I read where someone tried increasing the frame rate to 60 fps and turning off the Vertical sync and he said it helped so I tried it and yes, it did help some. I also reduced some of the settings to lo but kept the 1080 and increased the view to 100% since I prefer a wider viewing of the scenery. It's a bit more realistic to me that way rather than a narrow view.

I still have a GTX560ti Nvidia card and it runs pretty well even though it is old now. I plan to upgrade to the new Nvidia cards this Fall when they come out, if the do of course. They are more expensive but they are many times faster than present cards. I have an i7 but the game relies on the graphic card more so than the processor. If I'm not mistaken, I think it runs in open GL because I have a screen capture the only returns a black image. I did however finally get the snapshot working using the one in Steam by turning on the overlay which I had turned off due to 7 days to die having it's own method to capture a screen shot.

The game play does at times feel like you are in no man's land on the planets and I spent several hours on the first planet without going out into no man's sky. I'm not in a hurry to get to the center of the Galaxy or Universe for that matter at this time because I like exploring the landscapes. With each planet being at times very different and with different life or non life is at times challenging. I'm not following the story line at this time where as my son is. He is getting the perks of the Atlas but I prefer to do it on my own as usual. That's what I liked about 7 days, you could do whatever you wanted.

There is no doubt that this is the most open world you will ever find in any game in my opinion. Literally! And these worlds are the biggest you will ever find in any game! But being procedurally generated they do tend to produce similar landscape on that planet with some exceptions. It's the exceptions that make it interesting though. You never know when you will run into an aggressive animal or insect so that can introduce a little fear for survival. Until you realize that even then, it is hard to die at times. My son wanted to die because of some problem he encountered in the game and had a hard time trying to kill himself. That protective suit you have is a wonder! He finally had to keep shooting himself by blasting the ground at his feet until it eventually took his life. Even jumping off of a high cliff couldn't kill him. But now he has found that there are things on the planet that can kill you! Yes it gets harder as you start to move toward the center.

On one planet, he saw something on the ground and picked it up and the next minute he was under attack by sentries and walkers! Some planets are very hostile. Some planets are very deadly as well if you are careless. He has died five times now and usually he does very well with this type of game. I am still on my first life but I play as if it is my only life. I try not to do stupid things like tanking against several enemies. I tend to play with more stealth.

So, the interaction with NPC characters is more like a game since you have to learn their language in order to get the best result from that interaction. That will get you items you are glad to get early in the game and even later. There actually is a story line that reveals itself as you play and most people think there isn't one but there really is. It's kind of like based on old science fiction stories that have plots you don't realize at first. You will find pieces of history on the races you encounter which start to weave a story. Here on Earth it is the same way where much of our real history is well hidden from us and mostly deliberately to which you would not know unless you start digging for it. Most people would find it extremely hard to accept what I have uncovered over the years. But unfortunately, there is much evidence to back it up and that is distressing. Or not if you are open minded and adventurous. Remember Q in Star Trek? Well that's no so far fetched now and that is all I will say about that.

I have watched many videos of other players and you get all kinds of responses to this game. Some are complaining it's a rip off and others are saying the are hooked on this game and love it. I guess it depends on what you expected from the game. Myself, I was and still am very curious about this procedurally generated game as it unfolds. And yes, I can't wait for the ability to build something but many people are not interested in that simply because they will never go back to where they have been strictly because out of 18 Quintilian planets who wants to stay at just one? There is a lot to see and experience. There are many types of ships to fly and I agree they are really easy but it also is nice to not have to be so overly concerned about flying it that you miss the adventure of exploration. That was a game killer for me in early version of Elite years ago when I had it on the Amiga. Even the new versions and Star Citizen spends too much time simulating the flying aspect that they miss the point of adventure and exploration.

This game is mostly just that, exploration and discovery. The idea of multi player is what is causing many complaints about the game as some people wanted this to be just that when Sean said it was not intended to be a multiplayer. So he didn't lie at all about that even though they are claiming he did lie about it. I listened to many of his video interviews and he made if perfectly clear from the start just what he was creating and that he has done. It does need some debugging for sure and there are some things that really do need to be added to the game as well such as a way to orientate yourself on the planet be it by those maps you see when you discover an outpost or by having a way to place some light beam you can see from a great distance or perhaps even a visual screen in the ship of the topography below. Granted that if you just went in one direction you probably will encounter everything anyway but if one plans to build a base then it would be almost necessary to be able to find it again.

Sean Murray said that they will be working on this game for at least a year of more from now adding content. If that is included as part of the initial cost and added as updates then this game will eventually pan out to be a great game. Something of this size will take time to iron out since it is so new of a method to create a game experience. I will give him time to do that especially since I have been playing 7 days to die now for almost two years and it still isn't done, ha ha. But with 3,000 hours in that game I figure I got my monies worth out of it and will still be getting more. I can't complain other than where is my BOAT? ha ha ha.

Well, enough said for now. Hopefully we will enjoy the game. Peace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:11 am 

By the way, if you play this game and come across a star system called Utillo with a planet called Utlo Prime, that would be where I started the game. It's not impossible as I have seen other players that have done such things where they were landing in a system named by someone else. The odds were supposed to be over a billion to one but then a lottery can also have those kind of odds and someone eventually wins. By the time you would reach a system that someone else was in, they would be long gone.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:20 am 

Thanks for your feedback Utlo. I mostly see it your way. I did a few tricks i read for tuning and the performance is now much better. I am also on the experimental release branch.

After more hours there are two things i repeatly hope they improve (Physics in flying) and add (Map).

For me the exploration part would be much more immersive if i the flight mode would be more "realistic". I dont know if its due to Mouse control, but very often the ship does not let me go down close to the ground...i steer down but it sticks or even rises a bit. This i really find frustration.

Still i am quite sure i will play this game for a long time, and the exploration part is really great.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:35 pm 

Hi JB, glad you are having some fun as I am. I agree fully about the ability to nose dive so to speak as it causes me to miss the landing pad at times and that's why some people land in trees, they can't see below enough to find a clearing. I would prefer to get up close and personal with flying through canyons at my own risk.

After seeing how the landscape can be I kind of wish 7 days to die random gen had canyons like these:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:39 am 

Well its hard to tell for know how far they patch and develop the game, i guess at the moment the work hard to iron out the most pressing bugs. In addition in the steam forum, there are really some people with personal problems, or if this kind of insulting and childish behaviour is now considered normal, then i dont know what to expect from the future...

but back on topic: i managed to get rid of the framdedrops, but have most settings on medium. this is no big concern for me, as graphics is of secondary importance to me. I am still at my starting planet and try to explore it fully. This one has some animals which are quite fun to observe. A problem i have on this planet: the sentinels are very picky - they attack once i do too much mining. So there is a big deal of fighting, which i dont like that much, but well..it can happen in this big universe :-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:26 pm 

My God, yes, a sorry lot that do nothing but complain but there are perhaps some that are legitimate. I think maybe the Intel chips are the problem for many bu that doesn't account for the PS4 problems. Deadlines are the major problem which cause you to put out a game that has not been thoroughly tested. I'm pretty sure Sony put pressure on them to get it out. A game with this new type of tech is in it's infancy and an unforgiving player base makes for a lot of stress. This game has plenty of possibilities once the bugs are removed.

I have to admit that it's lacking something. It's not like in 7 days to die where you have to use a pick to do your mining in the ground and set up protective areas against attacks. However, I visited of the planets in my system and did not stay long. It did not appear to contain any real advantages over the planet I was on first but one thing it the new one did have is very aggressive packs of wild animals much like wolves that attacked in packs and almost every place you went they were there. For being early in the game I decided to return to the first planet and explore it more and found that it contains just about everything I need to get enough credits to buy more space for storage which is the main problem I was having. I have not encountered any really hostile animals there other than an occasional plant that likes to try and sting you. So it allows me to learn the language and build up Alien interaction.

I am also finding ways to make credits easier as well. One of the things that is kind of fun is to mine some then hide from the sentries then when they leave go back and mine some more which results in a hide and seek kind of robbery. I have yet to battle with a sentry so far and have not died so far either. I wonder how long I can keep that up? One article told of a guy that maxed out his storage space on the first planet and getting everything he needed to use black holes. He broke into the steel doors and managed to find the formula for making the cells to warp drive. He also found the way to make the Atlas chips so the first planet with less hostility can be worth hanging around and getting used to the game better and find the types of things that are there and on most planets.

I'm not in any hurry to leave just yet even though it is very cold on Utlo Prime, ha ha. There is plenty of plants with the necessary elements to survive it as well as caves with plenty of fuel. One trick I use often is to mine a hole into a tower of an element and use it as a cave to get warm again. Then I gradually mine it from the top down. I have had centuries enter that hole and look at me then turn around and leave. Now I have a way to blast the ground and create a cave to get warm also. So I can survive very easy and taking a long walk is no problem as I get to see a lot of things.

For now, until 7 days Alpha 15 comes out, I'll just roam the planet building up storage space and credits. You can reach the center of the galaxy with the original ship you get as it will also increase storage space like the rest. I have seen some ships like that make it to another galaxy. I like my bonus ship though and it may hold 48 storage spaces and if not then I'll be able to afford one that will. You can also find crashed ships with one more storage space that you have, repair it and work your way up that way. When I'm ready then I will look for a world that I feel is good enough to build in and enjoy.

What is sad however is that those worlds you see from the trailer was not built using the algorithm and was hard coded so I don't know if you can actually find a world like that. The water looks so real, the animals so large, and the danger so hostile and was made to sell the idea to Sony and was not in the game at release so I hope they remedy that over the next year of content to be added. It is still a game to play for exploring to see just what you can find on planets as most algorithms based on a seed number tend to become chaotic further down the line and then we should see some things worthy to take pictures of. Those will be fun to find.

Glad to hear you are still enjoying the game as many actually are. By the way, after the 2nd patch I also increase the fps setting to 90 fps, and changed to game resolution to 1600x1200 and presto, my frame rate rose to high as 70 fps at times. but in general, it usually runs around 30 even in busy areas. My GTX 560ti will have to hold until I get the GTX 1070 pascal. They run at around 1.6ghz without clocking. Otherwise you could push them to 2ghz. Now that's moving some data through that graphic card! The Run around $470 to $500. Of course the 1080 would be nice but they are closer to $800. about the price of a complete computer. But for now, as long as I'm getting a solid 30 fps I can wait.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:15 am 

Wow, have not seen this much complaint about a game ever. What's odd is I'm enjoying the game. I haven't had any problems with it except once and I was able to recover it. I have close to 70 hours into it but I'm not playing like most players are and maybe that is the problem, they are passing up much of the game. Let's put it this way, if this game came out ten years ago, I'd still be playing it. My goal is to find a planet that is much like earth. But in the mean time, I am exploring the planets that I am on and finding satisfaction in that.

This idea of seeing who can be the first to reach the center of the Universe is ridicules. No wonder they are complaining, they are just seeing black holes constantly hoping to be the first and that would get very boring. My son and I have been playing a lot and he is at least trying to head toward the center not using black holes and has not even come close to knocking off a portion of light years to do it. The black holes are the short cut but then what fun is that? They don't even take the time to discover the story line between the races and the Sentinels.

From what I gather having taken the time to discover the ruins and finding out some of the history that the Sentinels have been taking over by upgrading themselves and taken it upon themselves to preserve the planets beyond reason. That has been a science fiction theme for ages now but in this case you are part of the story along with the other Alien races.

As to the actual complaints of the game other than some immediate problems with different computers and some Playstation problems that are being fixed as fast as possible is that some of the content of the game is missing from what was promoted. I believe it is because of the deadline to get the game out which was moved back once already so they had no choice but to leave some out that wasn't working right yet. It is probably true that some of the code showed that the initial trailer contained a prebuilt world and not using the procedural method but it was not a lie as Sean said right up front in an interview with a game magazine that he had done that to show Sony the concept of the game so no surprise there and yet many gamers are claiming that it was fraud to do that???? Really? And just how do you sell a concept without a visual demonstration? So I don't feel he lied at all in that case. He admitted that he did that to sell the idea.

Perhaps there was too much hype for the game that was not completed yet but Sean said that they would be working on it for another year to add content to the game. Consol gamers are not used to the concept of putting out a game in an unfinished method yet 7 Days to die also has done that and so have many other games now as it is becoming the norm. I think it is a shame that the reaction is killing a game that has so much potential because of a lot of gamers that want it all in the game at the start. But of course they are partly at fault by constantly demanding the game come out even though it wasn't ready.

Aside from all of the complaints and hype, there are several people playing it and enjoying the heck out of it because they didn't get all hyped up from the start and was willing to accept it as it is knowing that it will get better as it's not really finished. Now from my point of view, having been playing 7 days to die for two years and the game is still not finished, as I might add the same is true with games like Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous and a several others, I think we are getting more than our monies worth out of the games. I have almost 3,000 hours in 7 days to die and it still has a lot of content to be added yet so I'll get many hundreds of hours more in the long run. What do people want today? What a bunch of spoiled brats.
And to play a game for 40 to 50 hours and then decide they want their money back? How many games have I purchased over the years and found it wasn't worth it but then you buy it you own it? Does anyone go to a movie and then decide they didn't like it and request their money back after watching it? I think that is not the norm at all.

Having played the game so far and still playing it and plan to be playing it for a long time, I have to say much of what they are complaining about is pretty much their own fault because they did not bother to read the minimum specs for the game at least on the PC version. How is it that of those I know that are playing it have not had any problems with it? One person stayed in the starting Star System and managed to acquire most everything he needed to get a top rated ship, max out his weapon, and max out his suit without leaving that system. I have visited 4 planets so far in my system and one of them I will have to go back to because it was too dangerous to explore in before I was ready for it. I am taking advantage of each planet to build up and taking my time and enjoying the journey. The bottom line is the game has a lot to offer but if you don't stop to see the scenery and enjoy it, you miss most of the game. And yes eventually after visiting a hundred or so planets, you will begin to see some similarity but still each is unique. It is a kick back game and I think fun to play. My son would not be playing it and enjoying it if it did not have something going for it as he is impatient. Perhaps it's not for everyone as you can not please everyone, that is a fact. I hope that Hello Games does not get disenchanted and not finish the game, that would be a shame and a broken dream of the developers.

This has been a lesson though of how fickle game players are. And unfortunately, it seems it is becoming the normal attitude of the genera. What with technology moving so fast now and today's tech is outdated tomorrow. Just look at smart phones for instance, who doesn't have their face buried in their phone screen? I don't but then I'm old school to some degree but today's youth it is the standard. Maybe we need to stop and think about where this is heading and will it all implode? Will we get to a point that we are bored unless something new comes along to entertain us? Does anyone stop to smell the roses anymore? Is anyone satisfied with status quo anymore? Will VR be a bust as well? Maybe we will shoot right past it and just go for the Holo deck instead? It's getting crazy from my point of view. It's always the next big thing, now it's 4K TV and next 8K TV and then 3D without glasses. (oh yes, Samsung and LG is already working on it.)

Well, for me, a good book will do at times. I have several that I have not gotten around to reading due to too much distraction. That seems to be the way of things these days. Just look at how the elections have caused so much ruckus and distraction. So, my advice for the game of No Man's Sky is that if you are not willing to buy a pregame, then don't buy it until it is done which may or may not happen for a year. I can't believe how many games I see on videos today that are kick start or Alpha state games that are being played by people and they aren't crying about it. There are more games now then there ever has been coming out constantly, in the hundreds even. Some are big production but most are not and sometimes they are the bigger hits. Would you believe that I have at least two big production games that I never even put on the computer? Would they even play on the operating system I have today? Probably not. Who really cares about backward compatibility anymore? Even my Blue Ray Player is constantly looking for updates these days if that says anything about today's state of technology.

Well that is it for this post today. Get ready for Fall and Winter is not far behind. Peace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:57 am 

I completely agree with you Utlo. I have played now about 10 hours so far and i still enjoy the game. The only thing i dont like is the lack of freedom when flying over planets. I still do hope the make this optional or maybe it can be modded out. I also think this is a game of slow exploration, but it seems many players now a days play a game as the must function in real live: the quickest way to a desired goal, to get a new goal and to reach it in the quickest way, to get a new goal...and so on...ever sensless circle of ever lasting growth...well i dont want to go off topic in a negative way. But for me the reception about the game is very telling about the state of our society...

Back to the game: i specially love to explore the caves. True there is not much happening (as far as i explored them), but they can have marvelous spots and huge dimensions. I do also hope they continue to develop the game to the point which the developers desired in the first place. It has the potential of a big classic!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:03 am 

Glad to hear you are enjoying it compared to so many complaints by others. I kind of like parking the ship near a landing platform and then just walk away in any direction and I come across so many things and gather so many resources that way. I like to caves too because I find the green crystals or blue crystals that you can mine without the sentinels breathing down your back so soon. I hit and run so they don't get in my face. I notice that many players are mining and the sentinel gets in front of them and gets hit and then the alert goes out and it's a battle. I don't have that problem because I leave before they get there and they will go to what you shot out first and then scan it so you can just move on or hide out until they leave and then get some more. It's a game in itself.

Flying over the landscape is cool when you drop back to around 130 units speed which is slow enough to just glide around looking for things. I find so many places that way. At first I would have to circle around and try to come back but then I found if you use the A and D key, you can turn on a dime! Sometimes you are upside down that way but you don't miss the place you want to land. I see plenty of pods that way for upgrades to the suit.

Another trick is to find a crashed ship, transfer your stuff over to it, then take it apart so you need lots of storage room in your suit. Then after you have the new ship and it is stripped down, go back to your ship and transfer the stuff to it and take it back with everything in still working but you gained the parts from the other ship. I don't know if that is meant to work that way but my son has been stripping ships and getting rich. ha ha. So I find the best thing is to upgrade your suit with lots of storage space as it will be packed full before you know it.

One other advantage of walking is you discover a place where you can call your ship using a chip so you can fly to the places that you can sell stuff to. So far, I have played 70 hours and have not killed a single sentinel or shot down a single ship or killed an animal. That won't last long because there is a planet in my system that has predators that attack in packs so I will probably have to protect myself and kill some. But at least now I have my weapon upgraded and capable of putting them down fast.

I'm in a Gek system and getting weapons is not easy as they rarely have them at the buildings. I have never seen one on the wall like they do at systems ruled by other aliens like the Vy Keens. They usually have them sitting on the wall. But if you are in the Gek system, sometimes they will ask you if you want them to inspect your multi tool and sometimes they will offer a new one to you or they may also ask you a question and one of the answers are that you need help with the sentinels and they will give you a weapon with more storage space. (free)

I have gotten mine upgrade that way twice now using that method. I'm still having fun in my first system of Utilllo and on Utlo Prime, ha ha. A couple planets are frozen and a moon is warm during the day and cold at night but not extreme. Another planet is hot though. That's the one with the predators. I think there is one more planet in that system as well so I still have some exploring to do. I'm in no hurry to leave the system just yet as I need one more animal to scan and get a quarter million credits on one of the planets and it is a flying one so I was having trouble getting close enough but now they fixed that so you don't have to be that close with the zoom function working now. It's cold and extreme there but at night I have an extra upgrade for staying warm and then I also visit caves a lot to warm back up. So I'm content playing this way as I'm not in any hurry to get to the center as my goal is to find an Earth like planet eventually. Hopefully they will have a building up grade by then.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:36 am 

So far i failed to find a crashed ship! I also like the walking on planets, but i am on an acid planet so my shields are an issue.

To be honest the upgrading is a bit annoying and confusing for me, but i freed myself from packing as many ressources as possible and try to sell them to get money. My strategy now is just to gather the ressources i really need (energy for ships, the suit and the Tool), and then try to go for the one i need for an upgrade. In this way i dont feel rushed, or grinding, and can actually explore the planet.

So the longer i play and think about the game, then it becomes clear to me, why there are so many complaints. I mean those crazy insults about lying and such, not complains about actual bugs: NMS is playing the opposite of most games nowadays, and the way of thinking we are constantly exposed too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:20 am 

I find the upgrade part okay, slows down the game a bit and storage is the big thing. I am finding pods with suit upgrades pretty well now by walking and flying low and slow. You could walk in almost any direction and find something within two minutes walk. I am not going to bother with the beam towers anymore because I can find stuff faster just walking or slow flying. Besides, you wind up with a lot of symbols on the screen unless you go around and visit all of them. I don't want to have to do that.

The cost for the storage spaces are expensive after awhile as they start at 10,000 and then keeps adding that for each one. Now I'm paying 220,000 for one. But I'll take it! Gotta have that storage space. To me it's more of a slow pace of gradually building oneself up a little at a time and that's fine with me. I think the caves on all planets are about the same except for some that contain some nasty creatures.

The upgrades that I find the most important are the jet pack, shields, multi tool, and having a blueprint for each of the weather conditions from extreme heat to radiation. On hot planets, you don't need to use up space with a cold upgrade so I just undo it and use the hot one instead. Then when I get to a toxic planet I undo the hot one and use the toxic protection one. Usually the lowest of those are cheap to make, perhaps carbon and iron.

Over 70 hours and have not killed a Sentinel. animal, or ship. And I have not died once! I guess that comes from playing 7 Days, ha ha.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:19 pm 

Forgot to mention one important thing about the game. One of the reasons I was eager to get the game and see it up close was the technology of the graphics. As one may recall, I had a thread on this site about Unlimited detail where the graphics was based on atoms. Well this game uses voxels but in a way that is like atom structure and you only see what you are looking at when it creates it. That's how they are able to have such large planets that seem endless in detail but yet you are only seeing what you are looking at which is the same concept as the Unlimited detail method involves. You may also be aware that the game is only around 6 gig to download and the base application is a little over 2.5 gig. The rest is textures and some polygon used for such things as the space stations and a few other things. The rest is voxel. In fact, as I recall, Sean said that the majority of the memory used in the game was for music and sounds. So I am impressed with the way it allows for one open world with no need to have zones or whatever you want to call it when you enter a house and it is disconnected from the rest of the world that is so typical of many games that use polygons. It just proves that the Unlimited Detail method does in fact work only in this case the atom is a small cube as used in voxels.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:39 am 

Well it seems there was a big update yesterday...i cant find any patch notes, but i gonna try it out tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:34 pm 

Well, I guess you don't get a choice sometimes as some of the animals are hunters and you have no option other than to survive and that means kill them when they attack. Some planets have animals that are timid or even friendly but mostly will run away in fear but there are some planets where there are predators and in order to get the necessary minerals or elements you will encounter them.

Regarding the sentinels though, they are of different temperament on different planets and some will attack you if you look at them funny. You can't be sure what they will do even if you pick up something off of the ground and then they attack. Usually however, they won't bother you if you leave things alone but then you are there for something and sooner or later an encounter will ensue. That's just the way it goes and once you realize that they are over protective of things and not necessarily all good, then you will get used to dealing with them. I think that is part of the history you are to discover within the game itself. Somehow the sentinels took it upon themselves to determine what needed to be protected and from whom.

I think there are elements missing from the game and that's probably due to lack of time to get it finished. I expect there will be content added as time goes by once they get all of the bugs out. A game of this proportion with a crew of the size of Hello Games takes a long time to develop and I think Sony pushed too hard to get it done too soon. Consequently it caused a lot of hardship and bad feelings among the gaming community due to the game not having things that were supposed to be in the finished game. Perhaps if the game was released as a early incomplete Alpha or even Beta, then gamers would have been a bit more receptive.

I find the game okay for now with the hope that more content will be added but meantime it is basically a game lacking content but still playable and fun to explore. I have encountered no bugs myself so I suspect many of the problems stem from older graphic cards. The PS4 bugs however are perhaps due to the conversions from PC. In time the game may turn out to be pretty good especially if they find a way to make it so you don't have to constantly keep going from one planet to another so often and have some content relevant to that planet to make it worthwhile to stay for a time and then being able to build some base would make sense.

Meantime, 7 days to die is about to release Alpha 15 once the experimental version is debugged which we can download.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:07 am 

Utlo wrote:
I find the game okay for now with the hope that more content will be added but meantime it is basically a game lacking content but still playable and fun to explore. I have encountered no bugs myself so I suspect many of the problems stem from older graphic cards.

As one of the reviewers has reported problems while using both an NVidia Titan Z card and two NVidia 1080 cards (although he did disable SLI, so technically was only using one of the cards), I do not believe that older graphic cards are the primary issue.

It is somewhat odd though in that some people are reporting no issues, others are having frame skipping issues, and several reviewers have so far been unable to get the game to run at all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:52 am 

I didn't say "all" problems were due to older graphic cards, just many of the problems. It was noted that the minimum requirement was perhaps too low. Plus there was mention that the Intel graphic cards did not work at all. I myself had no idea there were such a large number of gpu cards out there that were still being used and outdated and as with many cards, they all don't run well with some games. I believe it was said that you had to have Open GL to work and some cards do not have that. I suppose some people don't bother to read the necessary requirements.

Aside from the gpu, it could also be that there is insufficient memory on the card for the distant view you get on the planets. Take a look at the new 7 days to die distant terrain they now are using in Alpha 15, what a difference that makes and they went to extremes to be sure it didn't knock down the frame rate. It does require more memory though for the LOD in distant terrain even if they do use low texture in the distance.

I also find it odd that there are so many systems that claim they are having problems, or did at least since many of them have already been fixed with the last two updates. With so many different systems, it's not easy to test out all of them unless you have a few hundred different systems to check it out on. That's where Alpha and Beta testing comes in and I have no idea how many of them were used prior to release. That is a good reason to have early access games so it can be tested out on all types of systems and sending the bug reports back to the developer.

Aside from that, nice of you Xerius to drop by and leave a comment. It would be nice to see a bit more activity on this site and I'm wondering where our host of this site is of late and how she is doing. I wonder if anyone has heard from Arwen?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:47 am 

I check the site daily, but the last five weeks have been working a fairly taxing contract, six days per week, sixteen hour work days, so have not had a lot of time for gaming.

Intel graphic chips are a bit of a problem anyways, as the Intel 5000 chip (and the 5500) is three years old, yet not supported by windows 10.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:42 am 

@ Sentinels: they seem to be very different from planet to planet. On one planet i realized that it was fine if i salvaged not too wild. So e.g. mine away some red stones until a sentinel approaches. One one planet i could go on mining a bit more careful, that means let some seconds pass once between mining. The sentiel just watched. On another planet i had a different experience: i mined and the sentinel approached. I stoped and waited a few seconds and mined again, but this time the sentinel attacked at once.

But most of the time you can either run away from them or fly away with your spaceship. So mostly i avoid killing them.

@ Arwen: i also wonder how she is doing and hope she is well!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:46 pm 

Waiting for the October update on this game. Meantime I am still having some fun exploring. Have yet to kill a Sentinel but came pretty close when I decided to destroy a mining outpost to get some minerals. If you can hide fast enough usually they just go away and call off the alert. ha ha.

I'm really curious to see what they will be adding to this game as they claim it will be a pretty big upgrade. One thing I wish they would do is add some different biomes to the planets so you would have more of a reason to explore the planet and perhaps stay awhile and build a base of something. It would make a better game play that way as it is now you can find most all of the animals in the same area you are while biomes would cause you to have to explore to find them.

I also find that traveling by foot is really good to find suit upgrade pods and there are plenty of structures to find. You can always call your ship with a chip pass when you come across a structure with a call box. I have even found portable trader terminals out in the field. Pretty weird to find that.

I still play it once in awhile but 7 days is a bit more fun right now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:58 am 

Been awhile I guess, been playing NMS off and on. Now that they have the building patch with some other features it's been a real challenge. I have still been playing the main game and have built a base but it's a grind to get the stuff you need and then find the aliens to man the stations. I'm in a tight spot because I did not take the Atlas path so it is harder for me to get the warp cells or the formula to make the anti-gravity to make them. It won't let me use the teleporting system until I have done some warping around the galaxy. I also need to do that in order to find a scientist to man my science station. Unfortunately, I need a warp cell to do that so you see I'm kind of stuck but perhaps I will come across a formula to make the Anti-gravity by breaking into some factories. There is one off planet that is calling to me so maybe that is one of them but I'm not sure and that planet is full of nasty critters that want me for lunch.

So from what I have seen on other videos and from my own experience, the game now has some purpose other than just running from planet to planet. Many have come back to playing the game. The building does serve a purpose for me if I can manage to get a storage unit built so I can start to store some resources as that has been a drag filling up my inventory spaces. You don't lose the resources however if you decide to move on and build a new base on another planet because all of your other resources become available at the new base but it does reduce your last base to resources and makes them available at the new base so you only have one base on planet. I say that because you can have a base also in space by purchasing a freighter which can also have storage space and it will be available if you jump to another system just by calling it. One other good feature is that for every system you enter and go to the space station, you will have access to those station teleporters if you need to go back to one of those systems for resources.

Strangely enough, whenever you teleport, it also teleports your star ship which is odd but good for you as it makes it better to travel with a star ship than on foot. Especially if you need to leave the space station to go to a planet of course. If you own a freighter, you may eventually be able to own more than one space ship but at present I don't think so. You can always buy a new star ship when one lands on your freighter if it's something you like. Since this is what they are calling the foundation patch, it means that it is setting the stage for other features and expanding the entire game to a better adventure. I'd expect that sometime near Spring they will have another good patch to add more features. At least Hello Games is continuing to move the game toward the promised vision that they had which is why they did not respond to many of the complaints as they were all negative by negative people. I say that because they complained to the false advertising courts and they investigated and found no valid reason to prosecute.

One other thing, the building part of the game is limited at this time as you have to find blueprints to build some items or have one of your scientist make them for you by doing some quest to gather resources for it. Farming can be a boon to getting hard to find resources by growing them but you need a farmer to help with it so you can see that interaction with aliens are now necessary.

Many of the gripes had by some of the purchasers of the game were due to some of the features lacking but that is due in part to the time line. In other words, the game had not been totally finished when Sony decided that they must release the game so some of the content was disabled or left out since it was not complete all the way. That is being reintroduced in these updated patches as Hello Games wants to complete the game and add more content to it over this next year which is include as part of the purchase price.

One of the reasons that I think this game is still a very viable adventure is because it is the only one that actually has landing on planets with interaction. Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen are yet to do that to the extent that NMS has done. The planet exploring and mining in caves and now building on the planets as you advance through the galaxy offers a bit more adventure and if you like fighting pirates, just go into space with some gold or other expense ore and see what happens. Just be sure you are well prepared for battle. I expect in the future your freighter will also be involved with that rather than just a space base at present. I think that being able to warp with your freighter and then use your star ship to explore the planets and do battle will be more reasonable. I'm keeping a positive outlook for this game as it presently is unique in the method of procedurally building planets, ships, animals and such to make it worth exploring. There are four types of star systems I believe that require special equipment to even explore them so there is a lot to do even now. One thing at least for me is you don't have to be a flight expert to fly the ships as some of it is automated to keep you alive. More emphasis is on the exploring and adventuring than in some of the other space games where piloting the ship is very involved and can make it hard for some people to deal with. Who knows what Hello Games will be adding to the game as time goes on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:16 am 

Just an update, I have noticed that several people that had given up on the game are now back and very satisfied with playing it now. They say there is enough content now to keep them interested and actually enjoying it. The Survival game however is very hard but yet they like it that way even if they do die often and don't get very far.

The building part is actually catching on since you are able to grow some of the things you usually have problems getting on planets guarded by Sentinel's. The other nice feature is that when you move on to other systems you can build there and get the materials back from the previous base that you left behind as it is deleted and transferred to your storage bin at the new base. In a way that is a great feature because you can build stuff you don't really need and then get that material when you build a new system which is a way to store stuff if you can't get the storage blueprints or Scientist that provides the necessary ingredients to build them. Storage is always a problem when there are now so many new materials so if you can build something that uses them then you will have access to them later when you destroy the things you built by starting a new base in another system. You use a lot of iron building so when you get to another system and build anew, you will have a ton of iron at your disposal.

For those that take advantage of these new parts of the game find it interesting and gives them a distraction from just jumping from one star system to another. I'm curious of what they will be adding next. Anyone's guess from having your base attacked to building weapons that will automatically protect your base to starting a colony. You may even be able to use your freighter to explore with or have more than one star ship on it for different purposes. Most people really want multi-player but that will require some changes to the game. It wasn't intended to be multi-player.

You can also jump in and save freighters that are under attack and then the Captain may reward you with some good loot so that is another aspect of the game now as well. This last patch added a lot of content that we are just finding out about as we play. It's good to have more than one game that you enjoy playing so you don't get too bored with one. Anyway, my opinion of the game is improving a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:54 pm 

New Update to this game and the update is called Pathfinder. Lots of interesting things added like 3 planet rovers with possible upgrades, new modules to use in building a base, improvements to the graphics, and now a very extensive photo mode where you can zoom in and customize your photo shots.
It also seems like there is now more interaction with Alien characters but I have not played it yet so don't know in what way.

Lots of new ship types now that have a much sleeker look. You also can set up a race path and have races, allow others to visit your base and who knows what else. It will take some time to get used to the controls again as playing other games with different controls settings makes you get into habit of using those settings in this game. But all in all, there appears to be much to explore and again just an update with more to come. The game is starting to have some purpose to it now. I'll have to watch a few videos to see what else is new.