Arwen's Realm

A Virtual Community
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:38 pm

Welcome
Welcome to Arwen's Realm!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Hobbit
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:14 am 

Is anyone else excited that Jackson's The Hobbit has started production? :)
A clip of the start of production was posted recently on YT that is worth a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqaUk-r8 ... ideo_title

:)

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:41 pm 

Yes, I am.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:07 am 

Yep, will be cool. :)

Director Jackson posted on his Facebook page that fans can ask him questions about The Hobbit films and he'll select twenty to answer:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/PeterJacksonNZ

Last edited by Tireon on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:25 am 

Hmmm...

I wonder how faithful to the book this one will be?

Granted the LotR movies were very accurate (for Hollywood) but... there were still a few parts that I felt were neglected or just plain trashed. Then again, it has to be exciting or they stand to lose money on the project.

I always go back and forth with myself on these things. And honestly, The Hobbit was only so-so compared to the LotR trilogy. That was just f'ing EPIC!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:24 pm 

Kind of the idea though. The Hobbit was a story for children, while Lord of the Rings was an attempt to write an epic story.

I will be happy if the main bases are touched and if the characters give me the feeling of the book. There are really only a few major events in the book, so I already assume they will be adding content in an attempt to minimize the daily travelling tedium.

I do agree though that Lord of the Rings in movie form missed a few scenes that were needed for the storyline and I did not like at all chopping the entire end off the book. The Scouring of the Shire said that you can never truly go home again, since home will be different by the time you get back there, even if the changes may end up better than you started. Chopping that out of the movie made it look like going home was just back to business as usual for all but one character.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:07 pm 

Xerius wrote:
The Hobbit was a story for children, while Lord of the Rings was an attempt to write an epic story.
Yeah, that is a good point.

I did like the wolves surrounding them in the trees, and when they infiltrated Smaug's lair. There were some pretty amazing moments. I hope they do Smaug's lair correctly, and the ensuing arguments related to the treasure. That was some good stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:24 am 

Hmm, I know Fili and Kili were the youngest of the thirteen Dwarves in The Hobbit but this isn't how I imagined them...

Well...I still trust that director Petey knows what he is doing. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:29 am 

Oin and Gloin (father of Gimli)

This is a fun production update video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3V3-KdAWYs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:10 am 

I do hope that they won't go overly anime with those axes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:57 am 

The trailer... :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0k3kHtyoqc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:16 pm 

Here is the second trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDnYMbYB-nU&feature=youtu.be

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:12 am 

Looked at the trailers, looks great and typical Middle Earth. Should be a great movie only having to wait another year for part two is not fun.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:10 am 

I'll most certainly go see it, and yes the wait will be annoying, but so be it. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:53 am 

Check this out:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/if-you- ... heres-why/

December 14, 2012 and in Real 3D, hopefully on DVD as well but it will only be in HD, not the super high HD.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:53 am 

So what did everyone think of The Unexpected Journey? Once I got passed the silly hats and troll phlegm I enjoyed it. *laugh* :)

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:07 pm 

Hi Tireon - thought it was pretty good and nothing like the very first animated one they did years ago. This one at least stayed in line with the latest movies they did on LOR. The Ultra definition was okay as well and not a problem for me at least, as some mentioned, regarding making them a bit ill or getting a headache. I finally did get the 3D version on BD. Hope the second part is at least as good as in past series type movies some fall short after the first but in this case I expect it will be great since from what I heard it was all shot at the same time and therefore should be continuous and look exactly the same.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:52 am 

I liked the movie. :)

Yes, I also know a lot hated it because it was longwinded, but to me that was a part of the charm, that it actually had so much stuff in it.

Quite looking forward to the next one.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:38 am 
Site Admin

I really enjoyed the "The Unexpected Journey." I actually prefer long movies, as I love the parts that are too often cut out of some theater releases (to shorten the movie). I own the extended version of the full LOTR movie, which is like 12 hours long and each part is much better than the theater release versions, because there is so much more character interaction/build (which was cut in favor of keeping most of the action/whacking parts).

My one complaint is that I find 3D movies to be much less enjoyable to watch than non-3D. My vision issues make everything a bit out of focus (and I ALWAYS end up with scratched glasses). I seldom watch movies at the theater any more, as most of the new movies I want to see are now filmed in 3D . . . I just wait for the DVD to be released.

Arwen's Star Citizen Journal

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:35 pm 

I will doubly sympathize with that, as I did enjoy for the most part the Hobbit, aside from finding annoyance in the sections where things were added to the movie that were simply mentioned in passing in the book (the fight of the stone giants was the most noteable, as the book mentions they detour due to it, while in the movie, they decide to ignore detouring and just walk beside the fight in hopes of milking it for some CGI).

I frequently see fantasy based movies with a friend who has similar tastes, but he has vision issues and gets a headache from 3D movies, which limits the number of first run movies we can see. As a result, I saw the Hobbit in 3D a few weeks before he was able to go to it in normal scope, and I felt the 3D was done well enough to add to the movie instead of being just a gimmick.

However, with the loss of my right eye three weeks ago, my ability to watch 3D movies is now limited, so I am hoping the next two Hobbit movies will be reasonably well done in 2D format.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:48 am 

The 3D problem for most part is the fact that it's not true 3D in the way you see it since it is on a flat screen instead of in true perspective. The human eye is made to work with perspective as you focus at different distances rather than trying to see it all at a fixed distance which is what 3D movies are about. Perhaps some day when they perfect Holograms then you will be able to see it more like in real perspective.

So the deal is that many people can not adjust to the fixed 3D distance effect while others can. It's kind of like when you look at dual images for 3D, some can do it without a viewer (I can) and it takes a bit of practice to achieve that. Some say it's like being cross eyed but it's not really, it's just learning to view independently with each eye for each picture, right and left. But then I have trouble seeing those other types of pictures in 3D where it looks like a bunch of jumbled dots. Perhaps it is how the brain is trained to view things? Or right brained versus left brained.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:23 am 

First look at the character of Tauriel from the second film:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/06/05/evangeline-lilly-hobbit-desolation-of-smaug/

Sorry but Bombur remains the sexiest redhead in these films. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:01 pm 

Here is the new teaser for The Desolation of Smaug so...*spoiler alert*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJhE5OWaSho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:08 am 

And if you know the book, no real spoiles as such. :P

Still, looking quite forward to it. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:29 am 

Yep, looks good and hopefully will be in ultra HD like the first one. I finally got the 3D version when it came out but somehow I managed to wind up with two of them. I hate that when I buy a movie more than once! Oh well, it'll be a gift to someone in the family. It at least has the BD and DVD so they will be able to play it and have a 3D version if they get the player and monitor. I like the 3D for home use because you can adjust the viewing distance and it appears better than in the theater unless you are seated for optimum viewing distance.

It's not really real 3D however since there is no actual distance between objects and is all on a flat screen at one focal length. That's why some people get a headache from watching it. The eyes are used to adjusting for different distances. When they get to perfecting the Hologram and no need for glasses then that will be something. It's only a matter of time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:24 am 

The latest trailer has been posted for the second film...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=574297555939187&set=vb.160617097307237&type=2&theater

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:09 am 

Yeah, this should be good. One nice feature though is when I get it in 3D it also comes with the regular Blue Ray and DVD and usually discounted the first week it is out. I do notice however that prices have gone up for even plain DVD let alone BD and 3D. What I don't like however is when they sell the theater versions first and then come out with the extended versions which means you are buying it twice. I don't mind the extended versions however because it does fill in much of what seems to jump ahead at times.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:23 am 

Yes thats why i did not buy the Bobbit BR yet but wait for the inevitable Extended version (to which i am looking forward already!).