Arwen's Realm

A Virtual Community
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:54 pm



Welcome
Welcome to Arwen's Realm!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:07 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:08 pm
Posts: 461
Location: Northern New Hampshire
I'm frustrated that these forums have so little activity, as far as posts. I check the forums almost every day, and always click on "view New Posts," but more often than not, no one has posted anything. I do not want to close these forums down.

So I made this new topic, to see if enough member here care enough about these forum to put in some real effort into improving them.

Just posting one-liners in the Shoutbox is not enough of an effort. (Although I want you to keep using the Shoutbox, which is why we have one.) But, by effort, I mean taking the time to make suggestions on how to improve things here, but also to perhaps start a new topic. But, most importantly, I need you to post in topics that others have started. Too often we lose a new member because their posts receive so few replies that they just give up and leave.

And I get that no one wants to post about a game they are no longer playing, or reply in a thread whose subject matter is not of any interest to them.

So I'm totally willing to add new forums, but only if there is enough interest in the forum subject.

Help me out here, and tell me what you would like to see/discuss.

I need you all to take some ownership of these forums. Because every member is just as much an owner of them as I am.

_________________
~ Arwen ~
Arwen's Fallout 3 Journal
Arwen's Skyrim Journal
Arwen's Star Citizen Journal


Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:38 am
Posts: 487
Amen! I agree about posting in existing subjects if possible as I have posted in several that were old but I guess no one bothers to check back to those. I was hoping this forum wasn't just about games in general and was glad to find that there were other subjects available such as books, computers, music, etc. Unfortunately either not many read or want to talk about music or just don't realize that those subjects are there. No one is talking about the Olympics here so maybe they don't watch them, don't know if no one talks about it! Of course we don't need to but there must be something of interest here that members can address. Anyone into Metaphysics, Quantum Physics, whatever? You all seem to be a pretty smart group so must have an opinion or some theories. I'm sure there is more to talk about besides the weather even though it is making headlines.

I joined this group thinking it would be nice to discuss a thing or two about the games as to the experiences one was having with it and their thoughts as well as any other subject. What got me here in the first place was Arwen's journal and how she experienced the game as a role player. We all play differently of course and that is a subject unto itself.

As far as suggestions go, it would be nice if at least a few people did more than just view a subject but actually make a comment from time to time. So not all subjects are of interest, fine, but if that is the case then start your own. I'm sure you joined here because something was of interest and there have been some that do post pretty often. The main reason I post is to keep this site alive so people that come here to check in from time to time have something to see rather than as it has been where nothing changes other than a shout out once in awhile. So there is a subject, why did you join? What do you want to see here or expect? Why is this site different than Nexus? Anyone????


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:51 am
Posts: 288
I guess the problem, at least for me, is the issue of tangent.

I first joined Arwen's Realm quite a number of years ago (if memory serves, this is the third set of discussion boards since I first decided to start talking and not just reading her forums).

In those early times, there was a reasonable amount of discussion on Morrowind, on gaming in general, and a small amount of discussion on mods for Morrowind. I do not recall precisely what forums topics existed at that time outside of gaming, but I do have some recollection of discussing computer building (and a series of discussions between my distaste for microsoft's programming against Xit's love for the company).

As the forums changed and altered into a second and a third discussion forum, the topics changed as well. Mods became a great deal more prevalent, which diminished my ability to add much of value, since other than a handful of minor changes to Morrowind, I saw no need to mod it. As Bethesda continued to put out games, I created three mods for Oblivion (getting rid of the mission pointers, eliminating fast travel, and moderating the levelled encounters), but again saw no personal need to mod the game beyond that (I have since added a few higher res graphic mods). Since the majority of the Oblivion discussion centred around mods, I again had little to say. Fallout 3, Vegas, and Skyrim have likewise been largely centred around mods, and to this point, I have not put any mods into any of those games, which means again, I have nothing to add to a discussion on the modding of Bethesda games, especially the issues of reality mods, since my own play style is simply to roleplay the character I have created and make all decisions in the game based on that character concept, rather than to utilize mods to force my roleplaying.

This latest incarnation of the board does have a fair number of other discussion areas though and I suppose I have fallen down on posting to them, but as Arwen has said, I grow a bit discouraged from seeing my posts go unanswered for months at a time.

That creates the tangent problem, since without a point of contact, anything I could add to a discussion would not be helpful. I am a retired engineer, I have owned a computer consulting company for the past eighteen years, I have written two books (one published two years ago, the other due first quarter 2013 from a publisher called Tor). I spent twenty years troubleshooting power generation plants, have four University degrees (BSc Physics, MSc Plasma Physics, BTh and BEngineering), have worked as a truck driver, a farmer, a court registrar. I have played more computer games than I would prefer to think of since buying my first computer in 1979. None of this helps though when a topic is raised that I have no viewpoint or no knowledge on, and I certainly understand that my posts may not create any real tangent to the others who post to these forums, which may well explain why so many of my posts do not see replies.

It may be age as well, since although I did retire young, my age is still relatively high compared to most computer game players. I know almost nothing about game machines (PS3, Wii, XBox, etc), my tastes in music tend more to the 1970's than to the present, my tastes in reading are wide, but still biased towards older authors, I often go two to three months without finding the time to turn on my television, and I have certainly developed some very firm opinions over the years.

Still, I note that only two forum members have posted more than I have, so I hope I have to some degree kept up my end of various conversations over the last years. To make a mid length post at least somewhat shorter, I have been happy with the topics posted to the forums, but find my own interests do not tangent sufficiently with others to be able to post as often as I would like to, as again, my posts frequently do not see replies, indicating limited interest in my known topics of conversation.

_________________
Littera scripta manet - The Written Word Endures


Last edited by Xerius on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:15 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:08 pm
Posts: 461
Location: Northern New Hampshire
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback . . . if nothing else, it helps me to understand the issues better . . . although I still don't know what to do to make stir up interest. I post as much as I can, since it takes me so long to type out my thoughts (especially when I'm tired, like now, since it is late and I should get myself to bed). And Xerius, I also know nothing about consoles, since I've never played a game on anything but a PC. BTW: Utlo, one of my teammates from my college sailing team is actually competing in the Olympics.

_________________
~ Arwen ~
Arwen's Fallout 3 Journal
Arwen's Skyrim Journal
Arwen's Star Citizen Journal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:51 am
Posts: 288
Utlo wrote:
.
So there is a subject, why did you join?


In the end, the reasons were simple. I joined because I read the Diary of the Clueless Wood Elf and found pleasure in it; the tale of the new player who made all the same mistakes we all made in our early computer gaming days, and who made the mistakes all of us still tend to make. The writing style amused me, the subject matter interested me, and I joined the forum largely for conversation with the author of the journal, and partially because I had read the forums for a couple of months and enjoyed the concept of a forum without substantial infighting. I cannot say the first set of forums was incredibly high in post count either, although it did have a dozen regular posters, which helped to keep things moving.

_________________
Littera scripta manet - The Written Word Endures


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:38 am
Posts: 487
Good to know Arwen and hope their experience there is a good one.
Glad to see some response and since you Arwen have been open about your experiences in the past maybe it would help if we all added a little about ourselves as well as suggestions.

I"m retired from a civil engineering company where I managed a laboratory for structural properties testing. I on occasion get call backs for consultation in litigation cases due to my knowledge of material properties. I too like 70's music but also synth music like the Moody Blues used (the Mellotron), and of course Tangerine Dream and those like that. I also build my own computers, owned part of a software game company in the past, you can find my games under Syncro, Inc. (ancient now!) Electronics was my favorite subject and still is but it's pretty much passed me by now.

I might add that I didn't retire early as I'm over 70 but stay mentally active. In fact the company I worked for has merged with another company and is thinking of redoing some of their software and since I made 70% or the testing software I may be called back to help make the transition. And if not, then someone will be having a headache, ha ha.

Most of my books deal with Metaphysics and I'm really glad to see NOVA is putting on some shows that agree with what I have believed for many years now. But that's a very involved subject and open for discussion if someone wants to start a forum subject on it. I have to confess that I was one of the first ones to get a PONG game, ha ha. Then I built a computer with Nixie tubes as output. I was really excited when Atari came out with a computer and that's how I got started in the software business making games as there weren't many out there at the time. Apple had one and Commodore came out with one (VIC 20) but I liked the Atari. Memory sold for $99.95 for 8K or 16K of RAM. (don't remember which.)

Well, I hope others will join in and share a bit about themselves as I think it would help make it a friendlier place. Most forums I have seen you don't have a clue about who is posting so it feels kind of impersonal. Thanks for the response Xerius and Arwen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:57 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:46 pm
Posts: 289
I, funnily enough, is the young one here of 31 years old.

And yes, the problem is we often enough don't have anything to say to a given discussion.

Mods (TES, Fallout, etc)? Meh, don't really mod much, and haven't found any in several years that's worth anything.
Apart from the obligatory graphic enhancements.

Music? Well, I love music, but I'm a metal head, and I have a feeling most won't enjoy it. Won't stop me from posting about music though, since I'm always interested in new stuff.

Computers and programming? Sure, since I have a master's in computer science I naturally find it interesting (and Xerius, I've never loved Microsoft, I just find them the lesser evil ;)).

Personal hobbies?
Learning. Rather simple really. Languages, history, philosophy, psychology, computer science, physics, astrophysics, etc.
And Utlo, if you want to talk about metaphysics then please go ahead. :D
Might be an idea to just well talk about stuff, to pass on knowledge.
We might be slow in replying, but so what?
I personally work a lot (and to be blunt think work is a utter waste of time, since there's no LEARNING involved), so only have time in the evenings, if not too tired, or weekends.

Anyhoo!
Arwen, don't give up, we've been through too much for that. :)

But I will admit it IS hard to keep forums active now a days, it's like Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc has taken over forums as the medium of choice for online people.
But that's a totally different discussion about HCI etc. :P

_________________
Beware the Lazy Invasion of the Lonely Mudcrab of Doom!
Myspace - Facebook - last.fm - Twitter - Youtube


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:04 am
Posts: 14
Dear all,
I'm new at forum and I'm very disappointed about little activity but I think that knowing each other is a good idea to start because we could find some common interest to share.

I'm from Italy, a little city near Naples. I'm 33 married with a Venezolean girls met on a social network.
I'm graduate as Engineer in Computer Science and work as developer in a railway company.
My interests are all kind of sports (especially basket, soccer and tennis), reading books and playing Pc games and improve my skill in english :) so if anyone find some mistakes on my post, please help me :)

Thanks to everyone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:39 pm
Posts: 28
Hi Arwen,

Sorry I'm a little late to the discussion.

Arwen, I think your discussion board is to broad and there are not enough hours in the day for you to stay engaged in each topic. I mean, each topic is a world of it's own and needs a core group to keep that world going.

I came here when I found you at AVSIM but you were to busy moderating AVSIM to create a vibrant alternative world here on your own board.

I do frequent a lot of boards but each one has a narrow focus. I don't poat here because Flight is dead and I don't play the other games and there is no "world" at the other places like college life and library. I think, for a board to be vibrant, it needs a mission and a purpose, not a collection of loose topics.

Arwen, please don't think I am being negative nor think that I am criticizing you. I think you are an awesome person and I truly respect your thoughts and ideas from reading your blogs and following your brief stay at AVSIM. If I didn't care about you, I would not have taken the time to write.

I think you need to create a world, a community of the one thing you are passionate about that is uniquely you.

Take care, my friend.

Bobby


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:12 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:08 pm
Posts: 461
Location: Northern New Hampshire
Thanks Bobby.

I don't see your post as negative, but I really don't understand how offering less discussion forums would increase activity. Plus there's the fact that this board is (first of all) an extension of my website (which is currently getting ~90,000 hits per month) and I do have a lot of variety there.

_________________
~ Arwen ~
Arwen's Fallout 3 Journal
Arwen's Skyrim Journal
Arwen's Star Citizen Journal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:39 pm
Posts: 28
Hi Arwen,

The answer is the reason I came back here to post right now....you and I are having a discussion and I had to wait till you got online to answer. This is why I wrote about less discussion forums because you don't have the time, or you don't have a staff who has the time to start and maintain discussions. Any forum is like a convention hall with a lot of meeting rooms and you are running all of them.

You have a wonderful website with a lot of great content and you get a lot of hits in the same manner as an exhibition hall or a museum. People can come in and look but they don't have to do anything.

The most active forums have a reason for someone to participate and that reason is YOU. We come here for YOU and we engage in conversation with YOU. When others join a conversation it is because of YOU. At some point in this process, YOU develop a core following who will continue to post when you tell them you're taking a day off to go camping or whatever would keep you from here.

I could start a discussion somewhere but people don't come to your site to hear what I have to say; they come here for YOU. They may join in our conversation and maybe after a few years of YOUR followers getting to know my reputation, they may respect my opinions....but right now, they come for you.

Arwen, I ran a board for several years. That board no longer exists; I didn't have enough time to keep coming to each meeting room in the convention and talk.....and I only had 3 forum topics :)

I hope this helps. It's late for me but I'll try to come on tomorrow and talk about what I've been doing lately :)

Take care, my friend.
Bobby


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:23 pm
Posts: 96
So its time to be active i guess :)

I must agree with bobby at some point. Forum needs some focus or something that will lure people here (because i see only few people active).
Its doable i think but it will take some time. I dont know how it was here before i joined this forum i would have to go thru all posts i guess.Instead ill try to be active and see what happend. Like a said before i joined because of a journal and a mod hoping to learn more and perhaps share some game experiences and not only game one.

About me then. Actually not much to say.Average guy from Poland. I like playing RPGs,im not a great book reader but when i get one i read it.I like those kinds of experiences when i have to imagine things.I like to draw as well.In certain groups im considered as an artist but im not and i dont feel like one. People seems use this word i guess because theres no other one in english. I work as a freelancer.Im playing with photoshop a bit but i dont like it so im doing only basic things like this one Image
Its a crap i know but that doesnt mean i cant do better i simply dont like using photoshop but thats the only thing i can aford now.
The way i take life its not exactly serious so if you find it annoying just let me know.
To understand this part of my life you just need to watch this gentelmen. I have learned that when you keep a distance,things goes easier and you forget a lot faster about bad things.

SO getting serious now...
Two blondies playing poker:
-Check-mate!
-Silly its not a basketball!

Ok now a bit more serious.Ill start my activity from fallout 3 and from there probably visit other topics.

Max your english is fine im sure we all can understand you.Forget about private lessons. "If you want something to be done properly do it yourself".Do it here. Thats how i learned some english simply by talkin with people.

Utlo enjoy. I know it might not be exactly accurate... but still its worth it :wink:

Arwen.Its not what we want,its what this form needs.We already have what we want.We can be here.
So lets focus on things that could be improved.Dont give up :)


Last edited by H.S. on Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:38 am
Posts: 487
Well H.S., I book marked the link to the movie but you should know that Bill and I are from the same place. I remember him talking about his childhood and the places he used to play, well, as it turns out, I too lived in Philadelphia at the time and walked in those very same places he talked about. I may have even seen him once with some friends of his as there were walkways above the rail tracks. Coming from Philadelphia one has to have a sense of humor for sure, ha ha.
You mentioned that you don't care to use Photoshop and it is all you can afford right now. Photoshop is a bit expensive actually so I use Paint Shop Pro which sometimes goes by other names but it can do almost everything Photoshop does at a fraction of the price. It actually used to be free a long time ago as it was being developed. I like PSP also because it wasn't developed by a large corporation and having been in the software business I realize how important it is to give support to small businesses.

Regarding sticking to a single topic though has it's problems. The problem is that you can only talk about a game so long before it has all been said, especially since many that got the game claim they don't play it. Skyrim that is, but like any game, it has it's flaws and good points. It would be nice if more people posted interesting things they discovered within the game, that is when they play it. I don't play Skyrim too often and I still play Oblivion and would actually still play Morrowind as I had the added parts Bloodmoon and the other one to which I had not finished. I since changed computers and had not installed it on the newer machine. I did put on Oblivion though and still have fun with it.

So, now there have been two people that suggest sticking with one subject but then why aren't they posting about that subject. I started other subjects to help get people interested to come to the site so when they arrived it wasn't as it has been, silent! There is nothing wrong with posting other subjects because if you are not interested in them don't read them, that simple.

I hope you find your experience here is a good one and by all means post some of your game experience. And I might add that I don't expect Arwen to do all the work as others are welcome to contribute as well. There is plenty of information on Nexus if all you want is to get stuff and not participate. I joined this Forum for many of the same reasons others did, the journals of Arwen the wood elf. Does anyone else have journals or is it a one side show here? I believe someone started one a couple months back but it seems no one responded to it (besides me) so that doesn't encourage anyone to continue posting if no one shows interest.

I hope there are others that have things to write about even if it isn't just on the game since no one is posting about the game! Don't say what others should do when you aren't doing it yourself so please start posting on the game if that is what you want and not expect everyone else to do it. Write about some of the realism experience you have had using the "tweaks" that Arwen has spent hours working on.

Peace be with you all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:23 pm
Posts: 96
You see i follow a simple rule.Focus on one thing,finish it and then go to another.Since im playing fallout 3 for example in real time (1:1) it might take some time before ill find something usefull to post here about the game it self of course.And then participate in other topics.Plus i need to check few things here.So like i said it will take time.

I was feeling you might know Mr Cosby better then me.

I was mentioning that i can aford PS because it costs 1000zl in my country while digital painting stuff which im aiming for, costs 8000zl
Now then 1$=3zł go figure how much you would have to pay for that stuff in my country ;)
300$ for PS or ~2,500$ for digital tablet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:39 pm
Posts: 28
Utlo wrote:
So, now there have been two people that suggest sticking with one subject but then why aren't they posting about that subject.
And I might add that I don't expect Arwen to do all the work as others are welcome to contribute as well.
I joined this Forum for many of the same reasons others did, the journals of Arwen the wood elf. Does anyone else have journals or is it a one side show here? I believe someone started one a couple months back but it seems no one responded to it (besides me) so that doesn't encourage anyone to continue posting if no one shows interest.

.


You may be very well correct and in that case I am here for the wrong reason. This forum doesn't belong to me so it isn't my obligation to keep the conversations going. A forum that doesn't have an administrator or a core group of adminsitrators will have no traffic. I don't expect Arwen to do all the work but, to answer her question about why there is no traffic here, it's because she is not doing all the work (I'm saying this with respect Arwen)

If the purpose of this forum is to solicit personal blogs or journals, then it needs a blog or journal section seperate of the public forums with it's own set of privacy settings. I have written many blogs in another forum I frequent where I can set privacy to various levels of the audience.

The bottom line is that people come here because it is Arwen's Realm......not because it's Bobby's Realm. By itself, no one cares what I have to say; they care what Arwen has to say. Over time...a lot of time...the community becomes self sustaining, a core group of followers keep it going, and Arwen does less work. It's like any club....the leader is expected to do a lot of work to create a following.

If this place is just a public meeting place like a coffee shop where people come and go to have brief conversations, then my earlier recommendations are irrelevant.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:23 pm
Posts: 96
Bobby wrote:
The bottom line is that people come here because it is Arwen's Realm......not because it's Bobby's Realm. By itself, no one cares what I have to say; they care what Arwen has to say.

I still dont understand this part...
and how can you assume that people dont care about what you have to say?

Arwen wrote:
...but more often than not, no one has posted anything...

This is the problem.
Does it really have to be Bobby or Utlo or xit or H.S. realm to post something here?

Anyway i feel we are gotting closer to the point.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:39 pm
Posts: 28
H.S. wrote:
Bobby wrote:
The bottom line is that people come here because it is Arwen's Realm......not because it's Bobby's Realm. By itself, no one cares what I have to say; they care what Arwen has to say.

I still dont understand this part...
and how can you assume that people dont care about what you have to say?

.


It's not that I assume people don't care what I have to say; it's really about why you, me, or anyone comes here to Arwen's Realm. It's because of what she has to say. That is why you and I and a few others are engaged in this conversation. It's because we care about Arwen and Arwen asked for our help. Your replies, everyone else's, and hopefully my responses gives her guidance.

This why I stated what I did. If I post a concern of mine on this board, I may, or may not get the response that this thread received because it was Arwen. I wouldn't expect the whole community to rally around my point of view. I would expect the community to rally around Arwen's point of view because this is her world. And that is why I wrote what I did. Arwen is trying to grow her community, not mine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:23 pm
Posts: 96
Im afriad Bobby that you are missing the point totaly. I hope you dont mind but i wont argue with you because it is simply not about YOUR point of view and saying that its all about Arwen when it comes to this forum is as bad as shuting it down.Dont you think that if it would be only about "What Arwen has to say" i would simply catch her on nexus or bethesda forum and send a PM instead of going thru a journal and then forum registration here?

This forum have a typical sturcture but it lacks activity and it was mentioned above why.Im a part of RPG group in my town. Few years back we sufferd exactly same thing.The club started in late 90's.Youngest member back then was 15 years old. The purpose of this club was to prevent teenagers from spraying walls everywhere. Instead of spraycan we gave them a book,place where they can read it if they have no time at home,place where then can play paper and video games,where they can share experiences about many things.We organized grills every year till now actually and christmas as well a lot of food and food and laughtin etc you got the point i hope.But we grow up. Some of use got themself families and our activity went down really low.Still the core members didnt give up.Thats when our forum came up.Somewhere in the middle we have lost as well our little "headquarter" because of some old ***** that didnt liked our idea but whatever.We moved elsewhere.We had to change from posters to forums since internet got more popular.And guess what, we are getting new members now 18 years old kids are joining our lil club.A bit of work and its all back again.

What im trying to say is that we need to find a way to lure some people here. I have some ideas and ill surelly try them when i get some free time.
Some of the topics here are covered in bethesda forums or nexus forums or fo3undergound but only nexus is actually worthy any attention.Bethesda is swarmed by spoiled enclave fanboys where you can get easly ridiculed.Fo3underground you will get insulted and when say something you will get banned.Nexus is all about mods.Here on the other hand you can count on a mature ,constructive conversation which will not end up as a flamewar like bethesda ones.So finding people,remember internet rulez!
Reducing forums only when its necessary.

And to all that "i dont post because i get no respond" or "because its not my realm" please start posting again :)
It hit me that its not a bout Arwen giving or not giving up.If you have read her journal you already know she wont.Its about us giving up.

Damn im exhausted
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:39 pm
Posts: 28
H.S. wrote:
Im afriad Bobby that you are missing the point totaly. I hope you dont mind but i wont argue with you because it is simply not about YOUR point of view and saying that its all about Arwen when it comes to this forum is as bad as shuting it down.Dont you think that if it would be only about "What Arwen has to say" i would simply catch her on nexus or bethesda forum and send a PM instead of going thru a journal and then forum registration here?

]


You are exactly right. Thank you for clarifying the reason for this boards existance. To embrace the coffee shop example...gotta run. Have a great day :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:23 pm
Posts: 96
That's a big sigh of relief...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:38 am
Posts: 487
H.S. thanks for the reply and that price for software you are talking about may be actually more expensive here if you are referring to the more pro editions of the software. There are usually different versions which is why I use PSP (Paint Shop Pro) as it has all of the paint type features in it, thing like brushes and special type effects. I have a program called Painter that I got years ago that was the cheap edition ($100US) but the full version was out of my league. But it did most of everything I needed it for so no big deal.

As far as the posting goes here, yikes, let's not get excited, I wasn't expecting anyone to get upset. I saw that H.S. has done some posting in FO3 which I recognized and mentioned that it was nice to see someone posting there.

I'm not a moderator here, just a player of games but when Arwen asked if anyone had ideas for increasing activity here I suggested that since there was little activity in the gaming area for now that I'd post some other topics in areas that were designed for that if anyone was interested. Well, a couple people showed interest so I posted topics that were not game related, that what that particular area is for so no reason for anyone to be concerned unless Arwen feels it inappropriate. xit is one of the moderators and has invited me to post said off topic subjects so I don't feel it was out of line. Like I said, if it's not something of interest don't go there. It is meant for those that are interested in other topics.

So, I hope no one takes offense as this is a friendly site and you don't see hostile language here (usually) and hopefully that stays on other sites and not here. I would suggest that my post be reread and understand it was intended as a helpful suggestion regarding participation "even if it wasn't on a game" so that people coming here and see no new post then they could always read or give input on other subjects in those portals. Participation is always optional of course. I think that Arwen has spent lots of time on this site as well as the MODs and I can understand the frustration when time after time seeing no new post. However of late there has been some so that's improvement. I look at it from my point of view as well because when I take time out to come here to see if there is anything new I'd like to see there is something to read even if it's not on a game. But when MODs are the issue then fine I like to read those too, as well as what others have experienced within the games. One can start a new thread rather than doing a journal if they like. I'd like to hear others experiences within the games, especially FO3 since I intend to be playing that one this Winter.

May you all have a Halcyon week.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:04 am
Posts: 14
Utlo's point of view is right.
People come on this forum because they are interested in Bethesda games. Off-topic post are useful in a large community where there are a lot of people posting for sharing common interests, but in a little community the most important thing is to develop in-topic arguments for attacting more people.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:23 pm
Posts: 96
Utlo no one gets upset here (i hope) or exited. Of course Utlo point of view is right.Thats why i was mentioning about luring more people here instead of reducing discussion forum.It might work at first time but one day you will visit this forum and learn that the part you were interested in is gone.

Perhaps some of Arwens website content could be moved here (like games related).The way Arwens announces about her realism tweaks updates could be a bit different as well.For example instead of posting everything on bethesda/nexus forums simply add a single line like: Version 6.2 realised. You can download it (link to the nexus).You can learn about it/You can find me (link to this forum).If people wish to add some comment they can register here.

Obvious things
I wasnt offended by anything here so far and i didnt ment to offend anyone here.However if someones feels offended then i apologize.
I do not know how many people are registered here but i do know (because i see it) how many are active.Thats why i asked to keep posting but never enforcing anyone to post if they see no interest in specific discussion.This forum require some attention from core members as well as from new ones.I thought that people who post in this topic didnt want this forum to be closed so i assumed that it would be better instead of only talkin about it to strat doing something.Of course again not enforcing anyone to spend etire day here.But potential new members must see that this forum is active.

And yes a team of moderators (that have time of course) would be nice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:59 am
Posts: 12
Arwen wrote:
I'm frustrated that these forums have so little activity, as far as posts. I check the forums almost every day, and always click on "view New Posts," but more often than not, no one has posted anything. I do not want to close these forums down.

So I made this new topic, to see if enough member here care enough about these forum to put in some real effort into improving them.

Be careful what you wish for :)

In many ways, a small quiet forum like this can be a much more friendly place than a big hectic one. As a comparison that's relevant to this forum, I regularly visit Emma's forum at http://emmates.proboards.com/ - small and quiet - but rarely visit Bethesda forums.

As I think has already been suggested here, one way to drive more traffic to this forum would be to encourage users of your mods to visit here to discuss them. I presume you announce releases and updates on Bethesda forums, and much of the discussion will take place there, but some of it can be attracted here (judging by Emma's experience).

One possibility that might help is to make it easier to get past the CAPTCHA system when trying to register. I tend to run my web browser with rather paranoid settings (cookies refused and javascript disabled), and this together with the lack of clarity in the dialogue (are you supposed to answer the CAPTCHA question, or to type it back in?) made registration so frustrating that I came close to giving up.

Ideally I would suggest that the "help" for the CAPTCHA should be rewritten - if that's not possible, I think a stickied help post somewhere in the forum would be very useful, covering:
a) Requirement to accept cookies (EU law now requires "informed consent" for cookies, but it probably doesn't apply to this website, and isn't very clear what it means anyway)
b) Which of the various linked sites need to have javascript enabled for the CAPTCHA system to work
c) What answers the system expects
d) An alternative method - presumably email to Arwen - for those who can't get past the CAPTCHA

Personally I would like to see the CAPTCHA removed, but I've seen the damage that spambots can cause to open sites. The problem is finding a suitable CAPTCHA that rejects most spambots and admits most humans.

EDIT
One specific topic I will suggest for discussion, that would probably be of interest to you (and any other modders here) - copyright and plagiarism. I've seen several cases of plagiarism - whilst it's probably not going to be realistic to pursue legal action to resolve the matter, it's useful to know what your rights are.
END EDIT

Loriel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:38 am
Posts: 487
Loriel, nice to see a new post and don't feel alone on the registering problem due to Java. I now use Noscript on FireFox and it works great for me. I can understand the need to keep Java off or at least controlled because I have had those pop up scripts put crap on my computer only now it can't. NoScript only allows recognized objects that are safe such as allowing jpg files to show or in some cases videos of some types. Then to allow any other script to run, you can right click it and give it permission if you want to see it but meantime it keeps all of the ads off and pops ups.It makes it much safer to surf and less of a hassel to turn the scrip on when on a safe site. It does remember it as well or you can give just temporary permission for that visit only. Just an idea.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:59 am
Posts: 12
Yes, Noscript on Firefox is what I use.

On the main site, in addition to the obvious freeforums.org, the following sites are also listed by Noscript:
sharethis.com
googleadservices.com
exelator.com
viglink.com
and I have allowed freeforums.org and blocked the others - which appears to be working fine so far..

There were further domains added to the list during the registration/CAPTCHA process:
statcounter.com
google-analytics.com
crwdcntrl.com
quantserve.com
scorecardresearch.com
solvemedia.com
and I allowed the last two, after which the process worked (but ads remained blocked).

Loriel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions Needed!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:36 am
Posts: 77
1


Last edited by KateTHeBioNiCuTeRuS on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestion
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:33 pm
Posts: 5
Your Journal sections are invaluable but your Forums are spread too thin and not very intuitive. I would suggest having only one forum (maybe two,) and let people discuss what they want. You can always build up later. Fading out now....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
suspicion-preferred