Arwen's Realm

A Virtual Community
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 5:35 pm

Welcome
Welcome to Arwen's Realm!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Oculus Rift
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:03 am 

So, has anyone here tried out the virtual reality devices? I know that many game companies are working on make their games work with Oculus rift which will be out in Spring of 2016.

The reason I bring this up is because I recently had the chance to see a game (don't even recall the name of the game) using a VR system like the Oculus Rift but this one works with a smart phone. There is an app that connects your smart phone with a controller that is a lot like a typical Playstation or Xbox controller. Then, you place your smart phone into the device so in effect you are looking at the phones screen close up and there is an adjustment for focus on the device. It's kind of bulky though and the focus is not that great because if you look the the edges it tends to be a bit out of focus. They do recommend contacts if you wear glasses.

Now considering that the technology is new, at least to the general public, the devices will change and get streamlined as they start to be used because they will also be used for DVD movies. This one that I saw had a couple of choices to watch a large screen much like a drive in only you'd be sitting on the moon or as an ant and everything is really large around you, like coke bottle and such. You can turn completely around and you will be seeing yourself as if you were actually sitting in a chair on the moon, or whatever environment you chose.

In the game however, the one that I played for a little bit was weird. You are there in the game but you are the director of a character that is basically your Avatar. I was sitting over a pit with fire balls all around me and it was spooky. I kept moving my legs out of the way of the fire balls, ha ha. It's pretty convincing actually because you see what's around you by looking around as if you were really there. Now if I was playing 7 Days To Die, I think I'd be jumping around because you would be seeing zombies running at you as if you were actually there.

Presently though, some people have trouble with using the device as it can make you a little dizzy or ill feeling because it does tend to mess with your equilibrium a bit and that may be because of the focus or by moving around to see something and it is blurred which will mess with your head. But the device I was using is prototype and not an actual mass consumer product. But it is something to experience at least once and I expect it will be a big thing eventually.

The problem I see however is once you are seeing things as if you were there, you can't just sit down and play the game. Your mind will be confused and feel it has to move the body to react to what it is seeing. So perhaps the way we play games will change completely. Maybe you will have to stand up and be ready to react to the game much like the present technology that is being used on the Xbox, and Nintendo, like Guitar Hero and games that require you to move about like for playing tennis or the likes. But it's still a far cry from a Holodeck, ha ha.

So, if you have used the device and seen the VR effects, what was your experience like? I know that You Tube has already set up a YouTube 360° site. Presently the only things there are some videos but not many yet and some movies. I haven't seen them myself but I'll have to go there and see just what they are showing. And I have seen some videos where people are using them only what you see is not what they are seeing. You just see a dual picture like those stereo pictures. If you have the glasses then you can see it in 3D like in a theater but it's not at all like what you see wearing the device. It's one of those things that you have to see to understand how real it does look. I think it will be a big thing with the younger generation. Price wise, perhaps it will cost a couple hundred dollars or so but I don't know for sure. And with the Oculus Rift, you won't need a Smart phone as far as I know. If you have any information regarding this technology, please feel free to add to this thread.

Post subject: Re: Oculus Rift
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:45 pm 

Utlo wrote:
The reason I bring this up is because I recently had the chance to see a game (don't even recall the name of the game) using a VR system like the Oculus Rift but this one works with a smart phone. There is an app that connects your smart phone with a controller that is a lot like a typical Playstation or Xbox controller. Then, you place your smart phone into the device so in effect you are looking at the phones screen close up and there is an adjustment for focus on the device. It's kind of bulky though and the focus is not that great because if you look the the edges it tends to be a bit out of focus. They do recommend contacts if you wear glasses.

The device you are talking about is called the Gear VR and is also made by Oculus. It is fairly primitive technology yet, since it largely is based on the three years of research that have gone into making the Oculus Rift itself, but a good indication of what is possible. It looks a bit odd though, as you put your smart phone into the front of the device, leading people to ask why you are wearing your phone on your forehead.

I have not tried the newest iteration of the Oculus Rift itself, but have been allowed to play briefly with the DK2 version, long enough to try a flight sim and a few hallways in Amnesia, a game unfortunately well suited for the Oculus Rift (a horror game where you navigate dark hallways; not exactly my usual style). I found no issues with movement lag or dizziness, and by what I have been reading, the latest version of the OR (called Crescent Bay) has virtually solved any signal lag by separating its drivers from windows completely (which means the OR does not show up as a device in the windows control panel, as it installs its drivers at boot up). I will note that I tried the device before my surgery, so I am uncertain how it will react with my artificial eyes. I have no issues with resolution on any other device though, outside of fluorescent lights, so I do not expect an real problem with the OR.

The commercial OR is supposed to be out February or early March next year and I am most certainly tempted to pick it up, as there are so many third party people working on porting existing games to it, I am certain I will be able to play the games I enjoy on it within the year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:53 am 

Well that's interesting however what is even more interesting is what you said about having artificial eyes??? Starting to sound a bit like Blade Runner where they could make artificial eyes. I didn't know we have gotten that advanced already.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:06 pm 

It is amazing what technology can do, although only the front of the eye is replaceable. The back is still too complicated. Helps that one of the best two eye surgeons in N America works in this city (the other one is in Calgary).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:36 pm 

That's cool and glad that you could have that done. I heard recently that I think it was Rand Paul that donated time to perform 40 eye surgeries a day free of charge but I don't recall where, perhaps Dominican Rep. ???? Never the less, at least a politician did do something good even if it did get him some publicity. Hats off to him and the rest of that team or doctors he was with.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:35 am 

The Oculus requires some real power to stream the VR data and apparently they are selling a computer to go with it if you do not have a decent PC graphics card. Most of the present cards are not capable as I think there are only three or four of the Nvidia line at present that will run it like the GTX 980. I bit pricey though. I am hoping that the new line coming out shortly will cause a decent drop in price of those that are capable.

If you have a smart phone then you can buy the version that the phone becomes the view screen within the unit. I think it is made by Samsung, not 100% sure. And of course Sony and others are making their own versions to use on the consols. Not sure how much video is around that is VR at present but by the end of this year there should be plenty. Some games are going to use it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:45 am 

The problem with virtual reality! There are many new games coming out starting this summer offering virtual reality, I think Sony alone has 50 coming out. That's a lot of games. Well, I saw one today using a smart phone based on a roller coaster ride. They can mess with your head and make you ill or at the least a bit our of sorts.

There is a roller coaster ride in I think Baltimore ?? that uses the smart phones for a virtual ride while on the roller coaster. They claim that if you actually experience the actual sensations from a coaster ride while watching a coaster ride you don't experience that ill feeling. I watched just the coaster ride and it does make you feel ill so maybe if I had been experience a real coaster ride it would not have had that effect.

In game play you don't need virtual reality to experience a body reaction at all. I have played games where I was up high and almost fell from a high place and my stomach experienced a it first hand because the brain sends signals to the body and it reacts, even in 2D. It's a 3D world but you are only seeing it on a flat screen. I had to adjust to it because when building things you are up high at times and can fall, to your death in the game so you tend to react as if it were real since there are consequences of falling. Now can you imagine that in virtual reality? That will mess with your head for sure.

I have also seen what they call virtual reality by making it seem as if you were a bug watching an outdoor movie at a drive-in. That's kind of weird and not something I find useful because you are wearing a device on your head and covering your eyes while watching a movie?? I consider that dumb. Sorry but I do. Do you go to a drive in and watch a movie wearing a diving bell head piece or a football helmet? Not hardly. It's kind of uncomfortable let along restricting you vision in some cases. So even though virtual reality is coming, I think I'll pass for now. If I want that kind of excitement, I think I'll just do the real thing instead.

That's just me but I'm sure many people will want to experience it. And I'm sure the new devices will work better as I think that is part of the problem, the focus is not so great on a smart phone and besides, who wants to have rf radiation bombarding your eyes anyway? I don't want any cell phone near my face that close for any length of time. I can feel it in my fingers even if I hold onto one long enough. I have a Nook and I can feel the radiation from it when I hold it. I think we get too much exposure to micro and radio frequencies as it is without adding to the problem by wearing it on our head and over our eyes. Just be aware that long time exposure has not been tested long enough to know the damage that will result. Just something to think about.