Arwen's Realm

A Virtual Community
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:43 pm

Welcome
Welcome to Arwen's Realm!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Pascal graphic cards
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:58 am 

Well I bit the bullet and got a new graphics card, the GTX 1070SC. This thing is heavier than any card I ever had. And Big. Just for anyone's information that is considering getting one, be aware that it is 11.5" long. That's a tight fit in some cases depending on the layout.

My hard drive was in the way but could have possible fit okay if the connectors to it weren't the 90° type because the cable gets in the way plus the connector is turned downward so it hits the graphic card and therefore I had to move the Hard Drive. So keep that in mind if you want to get one and measure it ahead of time so you know if it will fit. I have a large case but it is laid out in a way that there are two bays in line with the two PCI Express connectors while some cases have them in a different place which allows for a large card with no problem.

As to the performance of the GTX 1070 SC (super clocked) I don't have any games at present that needs to have it clocked higher as it already runs at 1.5 ghz and will turbo up to 1.7 on it's own. You can however boost it to 2.025 gig Hz using the application they provide. Under normal circumstances it runs pretty darn cool and does use less power than the GTX 560 ti. Of course if you clock up the speed it will run hotter.

I also added more RAM and now have 24 gig DDR3. Perhaps I could put the entire game in RAM and run it from there? There use to be a way to do that but I forgot how it worked. You'd probably need an app to transfer it there and redirect. It would surely run better not having to access the HD. I know I don't really need that much memory yet but there are times when playing it tends to get full after several hours and starts to clear out memory to make room for new Biomes which then drops the frame rate so the extended memory solved that problem. I hardly use 40% of the memory now where before it was getting up around 80% or more.

The only problem other than moving the hard drive was that in order to do that, I had to open the opposite side of the case and in the process I put my thumb on the circuit board and later found out that it took out the Lan. I found that out when I tried to connect to the internet and could not get connected. I finally got a PCI ex Lan card that solved that problem. So watch what you touch when upgrading or trouble shooting the PC. Fortunately they are cheap and I can always use a 1000 Lan anyway rather than just the 10/100 I used to have. The one that went out was an Intel on board type. I built this computer over three years ago but now it has more life expectancy.

By the way, the graphics card is very quiet in case you were wondering. The super clocked version I have has two fans as the generic 1070 has only one. It also runs at 1.5 ghz and has 8 gig of DDR 5 memory. The sc version I have is by EVGA and I got a good deal on it, like $400 which is usually what you pay for the generic version from Nvidia although they too are listed at $450 or more. It pays to buy it from a store that price matches and then print out an ad where you can find the lowest price to take with you. Most stores will match it and many on line deals will also ship for free.

When upgrading memory be sure to try to get them in matched sets. The Asus mother board I have has a utility that will try to match the frequencies if I have matched sets from two manufacturers, I suspect it balances them out which usually results in a slightly lower frequency overall but not by much. I should check it out in the Bios.

Anyway, hope the information is of use.

Post subject: Re: Pascal graphic cards
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:27 pm 

Followup report: Well, I've had a chance to test the card out in game for awhile now and I have to admit I'm satisfied! I also upgraded my monitor to a 32" 1080 and what a difference that makes as well. The back lit LED is much better than the side lit LED. Colors are awesome too. In part to the graphic card I'd suspect. The motion is sooo smooth with the Pascal that it is sometimes surreal.

There have been many issues with the new Pascal though based on the traffic on forums but mine is working perfectly with an Asus motherboard. My nephew installed one and had problems with the sound but eventually realized that he had apparently got careless and blew out the on board sound which was the Realtek. Mine works great and the sound is awesome as there are controls that can make it sound better such as HD sound. I play mine through the Logitech speaker system and I'm more than satisfied with that in 5:1. My Nephew had to find a sound card to get his sound back but the Motherboard only being three or four years old already is limited for PCI Express sound cards but he had a PCI SoundBlaster Gold that he installed and he claims it sounds better than the Realtek. I think he uses the same speaker system as I do as well. (we built our systems around the same time.)

Anyway, if you are tempted to upgrade your system to a Pascal Nividia card, I can only speak for the 1070sc by EVGA but I'm sure the 1070, 1080 are close to the same. There are now other versions showing up such as the 1060 but I can't speak for those. I'd say that it is well worth the upgrade if you can get one though. Just be aware that space is an issue as these cards are long. You may want to check on the space before buying one since they run over 11". I'm pretty sure some cases may be too small especially if you have the bays for hard drives in the way. Mine is right up against the bays but I moved the hd to another slot. All in all, I'm very satisfied with my system now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:05 pm 

I am waiting for the next generation of cards, as my Titan Black is not as powerful as the 1080 for gaming, but was too expensive to replace only two years after I bought it. On the other side of that coin, the Titan Black is markedly more powerful than the 1060/1070/1080 line for CAD work, since it does not have the floating point graphics crippled (as NVidia did not want their gaming cards to compete with their Quadro series of workstation cards, they artificially reduced the floating point graphics on the NVidia series).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:42 am 

Good to know. Do you work with AutoCAD? I wonder how far out the decimal does go because when working with vectors it has to be fairly accurate or the graphics will look like crap. For what little I do though in art it is sufficient enough it appears , so I can't complain. If I was working with some program that used actual physics then that might be an issue but for 7 days to die the physics is no better than what the engine provides which is good enough for most purposes in games. I'm talking like calculating a crash or something like that with an automobile. For the most part the CPU does most of the work anyway.

So, why would you need a GPU that was that precise unless you are doing some scientific graphing? When running Heaven or Valley from what I can see it does a darn good job of it especially with things like the rope bridge so I'm more than satisfied with this card for now. At the price of graphic cards I'm not inclined to spend more than what this cost as long as it does the job well. It may be awhile before you get the next iteration that you are looking for though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:12 pm 

I use AutoCAD and 3dStudio 2013, but it is just hobby level these days, using the programs since I have them rather than for any particular reason. Since 3dStudio files can be converted into Morrowind scenery, I play with that a bit. Oblivion and Skyrim is not so straight forward.

I bought the Titan Black because I wanted a card I would not have to upgrade for five years. The NVidia 700 series had come out and a new series was in the works, I was toying with the idea of replacing my 680, and the Titan series was sitting at the top of the video card pyramid (I think it was a Titan X or a Titan Z at that point), then the Titan Black showed up just as my income tax refund did, so I went for it.

The NVidia 900 series then showed up, faster than my vaunted video card, and the 1000 series has pretty much eclipsed it. So much for lasting five years, although for any program that does do 3d modelling (several of the online games), my card is still quite a bit faster than the 1000 series for drawing scenery.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:30 am 

3DStudio is pretty cool for rendering. Have you done much of that or made any videos using it? How do you use it in conjunction with Morrowind?
I mean like do you upload into the game something you made and then walk around in it? That would be cool.

So, have you by chance run the program Valley on your computer to see what the graphic card to compare scores? It's a free download of course. It also depends on what the settings are on as to how it will perform. I ran it at 1080 with most everything on high and got a score a little over 5000 but it was really smooth. That's not in overclocked mode as I have that turned off for now since I have no need to use it at present. It's plenty fast and runs really cool as the fans don't even turn on unless I've been playing a very long time. I have no problem with scenery graphics at all even with far distance.

I have it synced to 60 fps and I have not seen it fall below 58 frames. Of course if I unsync it the FPS jump up into the 170+ but then sometimes drops back into the 70s. Keeping it sync locked makes it run smoother from what I can see. I don't however go beyond 2X AA because this game is in Alpha and not at all optimized so AA can take a big hit at times in certain places in the game or under certain lighting. Just about everything else though is maxed, other than what I don't like which is reflective water set on maximum because it causes rainbows in the water. That's partly due to the game itself not being optimized and The Fun Pimps are replacing some of the graphic routines with their own engine which may require some debugging. Other than that, I'm more than satisfied.