Arwen's Realm

A Virtual Community
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:55 pm

Welcome
Welcome to Arwen's Realm!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Closing Down This Forum
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:00 am 
Site Admin

I'm planning on shutting down this site soon.

No one ever posts here any more. In the last 6 months, there have been only a couple of posts made. Over the past couple of years I have held on to a slim hope that this forum would eventually become an active forum . . . but that never happened. I guess people are more interested in other things . . . or just post in FaceBook.

I tried to make this work, but I guess this is not something that I'm any good at. And I just don't see putting in any more effort, when there is so little interest in this place.

Arwen's Star Citizen Journal

Post subject: Re: Closing Down This Forum
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:16 am 

Thats unfortunate. It really is hard to get an active forum going, and even then, they tend to get out of hand fast. Maybe another attempt closer to the release of Skyrim? See if you can create some user guides to it and post them on the forums, make it work more like a help site.
Though thats generally a lot of work.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:32 pm 

Unfortunate, as this is a forum I checked daily, but a large portion of the discussion on the forum has been the modding of Oblivion and Fallout 3, I have little to say on the subject.

I play Morrowind more than the newer three games, am certainly anticipating Skyrim, but have generally been happy with the three mods I made for Oblivion, the four mods I made for Fallout 3, the three mods from Vegas, so to try to discuss the multitude of mods the rest of you use would not be overly useful.

I do thank you for creating these forums though, since they were reasonably active some years ago and I did enjoy them. As well, thank you for the Trials of a Clueless Wood Elf, the new gamer who made all the same mistakes we all made. I derived a lot of pleasure from reading her adventures when Morrowind was new, and did mourn her loss when the Semi Clueless Wood Elf took her place, since she was a more jaded version of the original innocent.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:45 pm 

Ya, I wish I could have been around to see this place when it was more alive. If the majority of talk was about modding though, maybe it will pick back up with Skyrim? Still, I once tried something like this, and it was a lot of work for nothing. Still, I'm glad I got to talk on here while I could (though I really just talked over the shoutbox)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:07 am 

This place was big once. :(
At least back in the old forums..

And for me, who've been here almost since your first forum, it would be a sad day if it closed down.
But I can understand why you'd want to do it.
Ultimately it's your call Arwen.
But who knows? The arrival of Skyrim might make this place more alive.

Of course getting new members won't help a thing, if they don't post, and they probably won't post if there's no one posting in the first place.
It's the damn prisoners dilemma. :?

Could I personally be more active in here?
Sure, but NOT in the Fallout or TES forums, I don't have anything as such to to say there till Skyrim shows up.
I don't really mod anymore, only just ... have fun enjoying the games.

Could I talk about programming, work, other games, music, cooking, etc?
Sure! :D

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:33 am 

Highscores: 2
Arwen, I think the big draw for many of us "back in the day" were your journals. I know that's how I was first introduced to you way back in the days following Morrowind's release. Trials of a clueless Woodelf had me in stitches at times. I could so picture the scene as you described it. :)

Anyway, just wanted to say that I appreciate the time you have taken here. I may not have been extremely active, but I tried to help when possible. I'll keep an eye out for any future journal entries and will check the Elder Scrolls and Fallout forums for future mod releases, words of wisdom, and the like from you.

Thanks for taking the time, scarce as it has been. It was appreciated. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:03 am 

I can understand... But it would be a pity!
Unfortunately, I found this forum late. Too late. But when Skyrim comes out, wouldn't that revive tis forum?

Your mod list and hints etc, are immensely useful. That should draw more input later on. Most people will post on Texnexus and Elderscrolls official forums, but I find them too big. And too... unpersonal. Sometimes even hostile.

It would be a great loss if this forum closed...

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:45 am 

Personally I think the problem is actually that this place has been about modding, both Oblivion and Fallout 3.
But both games have been out for some years now, it doesn't really attract that many new people.

I for one know that's why I haven't posted a lot in here.

To talk about Skyrim, character creation, skills, quests, etc when it comes out, sure!
I'd love to do that. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, I'm totally willing to wait and see what happens here after Skyrim is released in November. If things to pick up, I won't close us down.

It is ok to talk about Skyrim here, even before it is released. Speculation and hopes for what the game might be like can also be fun.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:02 pm 

You delete my post and then wonder why fewer and fewer people have been posting?...

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

I moved your post to a new thread, which is what I thought you wanted. If you check new posts, you'll notice a new topic that is named "Kinabalu's Hello" . . . in the Welcome Center . . . I thought that would be pretty obvious.

I also tried to help you with your forum issues.

This is what I get for trying to be helpful. :(

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:26 pm 

OH sorry :O. Im really sorry :(. I thought some frustrated Admin had deleted my comment :/

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

I would NEVER do that . . . not unless I had a very good reason (meaning that it would have to break the forum rules).

Taking my frustrations out on the members here is something that I try my best to avoid . . . I like the people here. :)

In hindsight, I probably should have left you a message that I had moved your post, but I hadn't move a post to a new topic in a while, and it took me FOREVER, so by the time I had it moved, I needed to get offline and take care of some other things.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:55 am 
Site Admin

If now one objects, I'm going to trim down this forum by deleting any of the individual forums that haven't had any posts in like a year or more.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:11 am 

Trim away, we can always just add some subforums if we need them. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:06 am 

Oh no! :( Do not close down your forums! That would be a huge waste!

As far as I can tell, there are things on these forums (and on your main site) that are unique. It would be a really bad thing to kill unique content on the intarwebz! And sure, maybe this place has not taken off like you hoped, but I have been on various forums long enough to know that small forums are really the way to go. I have had to leave other forums because of the "too big" problems that erupt. I prefer the small environments now.

And you cannot really blame yourself or anything else when it comes to the forums not taking off. Young people these days... are too entrenched in their instantaneous satisfaction worlds to have the patience for forums. They all carry around smart phones and only own laptops. If a Google search on their phone cannot tell them an answer, they just figure the answer does not exist! It never occurs to them that maybe no one has gotten around to putting the answer online. There is too much information online to convince them of that! And honestly, these forums probably get plucked by Google a ton - usually by forum gathering sites so that the searchers hit them instead of the forum sites themselves. I guess what I mean is that these forums are most likely helping a lot of people without you seeing the stats - and the people being helped are not the type to join forums anyway. But that does not mean your forums are not making an impact! It just means the internet is too complex to get good feedback.

So, hey, if it an issue of a lack of activity, we can all shoot the breeze on anything you want! The modding talk can be handled by the modding sites, IMHO. We can just do our own thing here. Maybe if we all come up with some forum topics on which we have input, we can keep the content flowing more regularly. Instead of making this place into something that tons of people might want, why not make it into something that fewer people really want?

For instance, we could have a section devoted to technical help for games (like solving/minimizing CTDs), or for advice on how to prepare our computers for the punishment that will be Skyrim, or for sharing tips and screenshots for quests and the like, or just for general play-styles. We could even have heated debates on beverages! Hey, whatever!

Anyway, I really like this place, even as "dead" as it is sometimes. Please do not kill it! We can help make this place more lively if that is what it takes!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:52 pm 

I want you to know that although I am inconsistent about sticking with one game too long, I keep coming back to Oblivion and Fallout. Your web page is just essential!! Seriously, without the huge amount of useful information you provide these games would not be playable at the level you enable.

I'm glad you are staying off till Skyrim! Sometimes I don't post because so often it might come under the heading of whining - why oh why are things not going well.

However, I'm in the process of rebuilding my Oblivion game after a poorly managed computer transfer and I really look forward to getting back into it while I wait for Skyrim.

Just thought of something. A large part of the content of many forums is problems with compatibility issues with mods. Due to the work you put in on at the front end, things pretty much work, hence no problems. Now, yesterday I did something stupid and didn't check functionality after each block of modding. Several hours later, I can't get it to work, so back to the beginning. If there are problems, I'll drag them here. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:28 pm 

There are some people here, I always tend to look around and see whats up. I originally stumbled on your page looking for oblivion things if I recall correctly. I wish there was more adventures to read about as well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:17 pm 

It would be sad to see this go, If it does i might just have to start a new one with the same name :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:23 pm 

That's a shame. I expect to be around here a lot when Skyrim comes out and I would follow the journal religiously.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:43 pm 

I was getting over being than socialpath. Donot give up I was born with than speech problen over 61 year ago I never gave up on talk to people.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:33 pm 

Hopefully you have changed your mind.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:40 pm 

Arwen wrote:
I'm planning on shutting down this site soon.

No one ever posts here any more. In the last 6 months, there have been only a couple of posts made. Over the past couple of years I have held on to a slim hope that this forum would eventually become an active forum . . . but that never happened. I guess people are more interested in other things . . . or just post in FaceBook.

I tried to make this work, but I guess this is not something that I'm any good at. And I just don't see putting in any more effort, when there is so little interest in this place.

I'm newly-registered here, so I don't really know the background. I've skimmed through the forum a couple of times on previous visits, but it's not been the main attraction here. I came (and periodically return) mainly for the tales of a clueless and semi-clueless woodelf in Morrowind and Oblivion respectively.

I do sympathise with you. It can be very frustrating putting in a significant amount of work, only to see it apparently ignored - I've been there, done that.

I have posted in your "Suggestions" thread, with some possible changes that might help to revive it. If you are finding it too frustrating to struggle to keep it going, I would merely suggest that you don't overlook the possibility of reopening it again if circumstances change (so I would recommend backing up some of the more interesting threads in case you want to re-use them again).

Loriel